What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about it though I may stop feeding my children in the hope that future generations evolve to fend for themselves......

This is the kind of ‘blah blah blah’ I knew coming. Can’t say I’m surprised.
Was quite interesting to begin with, disagreed mid way and you lost me completely towards the end.

Well, back to the apiary, I vaped my bees today, using my new Sublimox.

I built an eke with perspex top and mesh base, with a small hole in the side for the sublimox. Popped on top of each hive, and then vaped for 30 seconds. Very easy to do all of them quickly.

Nice to be able to see the gas gently fall down through the hive and out the bottom. Bees weren't fussed at all.

I use underfloor entrances, so no possibility of doing it from those.

Bees from all hives flying in with gorse pollen, which is all over the place here.

Only 1 weak hive, with a bought-in buckfast queen from 2018. There are still bees, but not a lot. She doesn't seem to want to lay much since I got her.

Such happens when a man becomes old.

I have been very tired whole summer and autumn.
3 weeks ago I got am answer. I have got old age diabetes. I got pills at once.

Somebody give me hope!!!!!!

Was diagnosed as type 2 over a year ago. I lost three stone on very strict diet and blood sugar levels now back to normal.
Reversed the sucker...

Look on Book dealer of your choice for the
"8 week blood sugar diet".

Was diagnosed as type 2 over a year ago. I lost three stone on very strict diet and blood sugar levels now back to normal.
Reversed the sucker...

Look on Book dealer of your choice for the
"8 week blood sugar diet".

Fasting (intermittent and/or extended) is another option for reversing type 2. Look up Dr. Jason Fung

Ad caveat...if it's excess fat then it's reversible. Mate of mine, thin as a rake has type 2. He uses exercise to keep his blond sugar levels low
There is a genetic component....but for us "big" lads..... weight loss...by whatever method seems to work.
Last month the NHS were reported to have adopted this strategy.

Even in the rapid reproduction of bees you will not witness and record evolution in a human lifetime, you are lucky if you witness selection.

That's only true if there isn't massive selection pressure, such as the pressure exerted by varroa, where there are up to 100% losses. That's likely to give rise to observable changes within a small number of years.

Of course, you might just end up with mega swarmy bees :)

Fasting (intermittent and/or extended) is another option for reversing type 2. Look up Dr. Jason Fung

Look up the fast diet as well finnie - not too hard to stick to and gives good results - makes you feel better as well as lose weight.

Thank you guys for encouraging advices. This feeling with 11-14 sugar in blood is far from good life. Nor these bacon kilos.

The statement we hear often "I don't mind that my bees don't make much honey- I'm not greedy!" generally equals sick bees or poor management.

And when they do die - blame it on 'the beast from the East' or some such chimera

That's only true if there isn't massive selection pressure, such as the pressure exerted by varroa, where there are up to 100% losses. That's likely to give rise to observable changes within a small number of years.

Of course, you might just end up with mega swarmy bees :)

That is still selection, not evolution.

The two are different,

Evolution creates a new species which would no longer be capable of breeding with the original species but well.... whatever!

I am not arguing with you specifically but it regularly gets stated on here that we are seeing our bees “evolve” we are not.

We are just selecting from traits that are already there. The species can revert back if the section pressure is reversed or removed therefore it is not evolution.

I’m leaving it there as there are too many people arguing that they are being attacked for there “beliefs” when they are using terminology that is just wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Evolution creates a new species which would no longer be capable of breeding with the original species but well.... whatever!
ro

That's speciation. Evolution is change in inherited characteristics over time which may lead to speciation.
Speciation involves evolution, evolution doesn't necessarily involve speciation.

Latest posts

Back