What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
original Q ,1 frame of brood and 8 frames of bees into a poly nuc taken to new location and added to empty hive.
Fortunately, that's not a shook swarm ..

A shook swarm is where some raving lunatics empty all the bees from an existing colony into another hive with just frames and foundation, discarding any brood and sometimes stores ... not the answer to anything much in the normal run of beekeeping - apart from some SBI's who will allow it when EFB is found.
It's recommended by lots of less than thinking beekeepers for everything from 'spring cleaning a colony' to 'swarm control' and a load of other things as well ..

All it does is sets back a thriving colony .. not the best idea that has ever come down through the annals of beekeeping.

Fortunately, that's not a shook swarm ..

A shook swarm is where some raving lunatics empty all the bees from an existing colony into another hive with just frames and foundation, discarding any brood and sometimes stores ... not the answer to anything much in the normal run of beekeeping - apart from some SBI's who will allow it when EFB is found.
It's recommended by lots of less than thinking beekeepers for everything from 'spring cleaning a colony' to 'swarm control' and a load of other things as well ..

All it does is sets back a thriving colony .. not the best idea that has ever come down through the annals of beekeeping.
Yeah sorry it's what my dad used to call it before the modern day version

Re Queened 2 hive’s, the first one 8 day’s ago the colony has accepted her and when I checked today she has started laying the larvae looks about 5ish day’s oldish.
Very pleased, thank you BMH 😃.
However, I am looking for some advice please. The colony appeared to be Queenless on my first inspection, no eggs, larvae or brood or Queen to be seen. I waited for another week in case she was slow at getting going. Checked the next week, still nothing so I put in a test frame from another hive and 3 day’s later they had got to work making Q cells so I knocked them down and put the frame back into the original hive and ordered a Queen, all good. My concern is that although the hive is still fairly well populated I’m worried that before the first new bees emerge there won’t be enough bees to do all the various job’s. Should I give them a frame of capped brood from another hive to keep up the number of young bees? Or will they manage another couple of weeks without any bees emerging? 😬

Re Queened 2 hive’s, the first one 8 day’s ago the colony has accepted her and when I checked today she has started laying the larvae looks about 5ish day’s oldish.
Very pleased, thank you BMH 😃.
However, I am looking for some advice please. The colony appeared to be Queenless on my first inspection, no eggs, larvae or brood or Queen to be seen. I waited for another week in case she was slow at getting going. Checked the next week, still nothing so I put in a test frame from another hive and 3 day’s later they had got to work making Q cells so I knocked them down and put the frame back into the original hive and ordered a Queen, all good. My concern is that although the hive is still fairly well populated I’m worried that before the first new bees emerge there won’t be enough bees to do all the various job’s. Should I give them a frame of capped brood from another hive to keep up the number of young bees? Or will they manage another couple of weeks without any bees emerging? 😬
I'd probably have left the frame they were making QCs on in there but removed the queen cells from it and ensured they couldn't make more.

I'd probably have left the frame they were making QCs on in there but removed the queen cells from it and ensured they couldn't make more.
Yeah I was thinking after taking it out that I should have left it 🤦‍♀️. Do you think I should give them another one?

Yeah I was thinking after taking it out that I should have left it 🤦‍♀️. Do you think I should give them another one?
Once it's capped over you could put it back in. I'm estimating you're talking about this happening over a two to three week period this far?

Once it's capped over you could put it back in. I'm estimating you're talking about this happening over a two to three week period this far?
Yes, I’m estimating that it will be another couple of weeks until any of the new Queen’s offspring emerge. So I was thinking that a frame of capped brood would give them a buffer to keep the numbers up.

Colonies with the varroa issue had second vapes yesterday between showers. Supers removed during treatment.
I love this out apiaries owners, they invite me in for coffee when it's raining!
The hive where the queen flew away last Tuesday is all good - she's come back and is laying (and is now clipped!). Very happy to see her back as i'm requeening this hive - the bees are not particularly nice. Can't wait for her progeny to be emerging - the current occupants are very stroppy - all over my suit, loads following back to the car and took several home with me as well.
On the plus side, they're now on their third super.

Very quick check of 14 at the home apiary, I only did them 5 days ago but there were a couple of splits that needed cells thinning out so I thaught I may as well do them all. No new swarming but bees super busy, the empty supers I put on 5 days ago are around 1/2 full already! Added 6 more supers,stack of supers in the conservatory diminishing at a rapid rate ( which should make the mrs happy)

Colonies with the varroa issue had second vapes yesterday between showers. Supers removed during treatment.
I love this out apiaries owners, they invite me in for coffee when it's raining!
The hive where the queen flew away last Tuesday is all good - she's come back and is laying (and is now clipped!). Very happy to see her back as i'm requeening this hive - the bees are not particularly nice. Can't wait for her progeny to be emerging - the current occupants are very stroppy - all over my suit, loads following back to the car and took several home with me as well.
On the plus side, they're now on their third super.
Phew!🐝👍

Cut back the QCs to one in a colony where I nuced the Q 5 days ago.
They weren't impressed!
I need to do this too. I was a bit unsure how long after nucing the queen the original hive will be able to make more cells…is day 5 the earliest you can do it and day 7 the latest (if the split was made on day 0)?

I need to do this too. I was a bit unsure how long after nucing the queen the original hive will be able to make more cells…is day 5 the earliest you can do it and day 7 the latest (if the split was made on day 0)?
They won't be going anywhere until one of them emerge as you have the queen, just go back in a week.

I go back in a week. You’ve removed all but your one chosen queen cell. The earliest she will emerge will be 9 days presuming you left an open cell and the earliest an emergency queen will is about a day later.

Took the tabs off two queens from @Black Mountain Honey that we put in hives a couple of days ago. The bees were very interested in the cage but not aggressive. Put a third super on a very large but overly defensive hive that we we plan to re-queen by merging when one of new queens is up and laying.

They won't be going anywhere until one of them emerge as you have the queen, just go back in a week.
out of curiosity then, for how many days after an egg was laid will the bees have the option of turning it into a queen?

Latest posts

Back