Fondant question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I've hardly ever used fondant before as I usually leave plenty of stores. Due to a combination of factors I've felt the need to give most of my colonies fondant this year.
I've heard/read some conflicting statements as to whether the bees will still take fondant if they have adequate nectar coming in.
Mine have been pretty active for the last few days but some seem to be getting through fondant quite fast.
I don't really want to inspect until it's a few degrees warmer (10C today here). Are they likely to be simply storing the fondant, or do they just eat it as they need it? Obviously I don't want them to starve having got this far!!

I've hardly ever used fondant before as I usually leave plenty of stores. Due to a combination of factors I've felt the need to give most of my colonies fondant this year.
I've heard/read some conflicting statements as to whether the bees will still take fondant if they have adequate nectar coming in.
Mine have been pretty active for the last few days but some seem to be getting through fondant quite fast.
I don't really want to inspect until it's a few degrees warmer (10C today here). Are they likely to be simply storing the fondant, or do they just eat it as they need it? Obviously I don't want them to starve having got this far!!
you will get many more erudite response than mine, but....i would just leave it on until you are ready to inspect for the first time and there is a proper flow on.....sort it out then depending on what you find

mine end up with a mixture of some fondant stored (i have fondant on about 40%) as well as nectar and they will generally still use the fondant despite some nectar coming in and then when there is a flow on, it will resolve itself.

Overall, i don't think it will harm at all to leave it until you inspect and have a proper flow on, taking it off may be a risk if their colony size is depending on it for the cooler days still to come etc

Yes they will store it. yes they will eat because they need it. You need to heft or weigh the hive. There are posts around advising / suggesting desirable weights.
What are they doing at the entrance, is it bringing in pollen ? what nectar sources are there in your area? have you OMF and inspection trays, what do the fallen cappings tell you?
Where I am I do feed fondant at this time of year and I will even leave it on the hive after a first inspection, which for me is probably mid April, all depends on whether etc. I only remove any leftover fondant when there is a good flow (thats late here) but its usually well gone by then.

My swarm I collected in Sept are hosued in a wooden single BS brood were too large for a six frame nuc so they were given some feed after allowing the winter brood to be laid up.
I vaped them once two days following them being housed, 2.5 weeks ago I put on a ltr tub if fondant over the feed hole ( tub well insulated by pir) as they did feel a bit light when hefted but as I'm more used to hefting Double broods the heft weight is a lot different.
This week when I hefted and checked they had hardly made much of dent in the fondant approx. 10% has gone, one expects they still have some nice frame stores.

Latest posts

Back