What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't been at bees 2 weeks.. Now preparing to go up in frozen kingdom to see my precious.. At home piled some boxes and frames to assemble.. Bunch of mnucs to recheck and renew.. As all of beeks..

Yesterday did my 4th vape on the 2 allotment hives 1 has been dropping massive numbers of mites, 200+ over 4 day period since last vape.
I did an Apiguard treatment in autumn and didn’t check afterwards, beginners mistake.
This colony is on double Langstroth brood, not sure how many bees left as CB not removed since early October but it sounds very lively. Fondant above CB doesn’t appear touched and at 6 degrees C they were out flying in reasonable numbers. I have not seen a brood break in this colony yet.

Haven't been at bees 2 weeks.. Now preparing to go up in frozen kingdom to see my precious.. At home piled some boxes and frames to assemble.. Bunch of mnucs to recheck and renew.. As all of beeks..

All is OK. All are purring so far. I admit I was concerned since I lost at the beginning of winter one colony and about reports around me of heavy losses that it could Armageddon to me also. It is still too early, but to my judgement if I will have more losses it will be few, not dozens.. I keep resisting to add fondants, since all around me in fear are stuffing them ( first plan at beginning of February). I had few which oddly broke up on top bar, I gave them nylon stocking treatment. I admit I use nylon stockings.. not on my legs, but :D

Attachments

• nylon.jpg
    nylon.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 30
  • nylon 2.jpg
    nylon 2.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Checked fondant levels - disappearing steadily.
Checked varroa drop from Sunday's vape - one drop of 50 the others negligible.
Revaped the hive.
Goodly buzz from all three hives and obvious five seams of bees in each hive from debris on the trays.

I think it’s just over 2min increase daily.
Between 1 and 4 mins , the reason i say its about 26mins is because the difference is less per day around the two solstices. So since Christmas its been a little over a minute per day........ . I think.

I think it’s just over 2min increase daily.

Between 90 seconds and two mins in Jan , Feb is about two mins and then up untill the spring equinox . So your about right. ( Extra day length).

Went to just check on them today and look at the boards. 11oC and they were flying in force. Back end of next week is predicted to be 4oC hopefully they'll cluster up and have a rest.

Finished this round of vaping. Today, bees (not many) out between showers, some bringing in pollen. Clustering still anticipated. Stores dwindling and recently applied fondant requires replenishment. The varroa drop is unusually considerable. Many plants emerging and others budding, including roses and August bloomers. In south, butterflies (normally migratory) are noted to be out and most dreaded of all - people are mowing grass!!! :calmdown: ... Unusual!

First visit of the year to carreg apiary, have to ensure that these colonies are always heavy on stores as an extended period of bad weather could mean I cannot get over the mountain to them (same as the castle ones - next stop). All hefted nice and heavy. One deadout, although no surprise as I had my doubts there was a viable queen in there when I last visited back in October

Between 90 seconds and two mins in Jan , Feb is about two mins and then up untill the spring equinox . So your about right. ( Extra day length).

And then what? Still keeps increasing right up to the summer solstice, but presumably at a slowing rate after the spring equinox. So likely over your two minutes until mid April? I’m not going to bother to check. Like the idiot who tried to stop the tide coming in.

Daylight hours are likely reported somewhere, on the internet, for the whole year.

Latest posts

Back