What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don’t think much, do you?
Parasites do not set out to kill their host. It is self defeating if they die, along with the host..

Apparently neither do you.....
Varroa was originally a parasite on Apis cerana and they evolved together.
It was when it jumped ships to Apis mellifera, a host with no previous defence, that it all changed. Varroa kills them
Do try to keep up ...

Last edited:

Contrary to what you might think, varroa is not going away. Treating has certainly been necessary over the last 25 years, but eventually - when humans have killed themselves off - the bees will need to look after themselves, without artificial chemical intervention. I think the colonies that continue to survive will be the ones that thrive.

Think about it. A little deeper than you clearly have done so far.

Now theres a concept, breeding bees for after the fall of humanity. So why is it different now to the previous 25yrs? You cant be suggesting this mere heartbeat in evolutionary terms is relevant. What would it matter if that point if honeybees died out? There are surely enough orher pollinators to fill the gap. Nature has seen fit to wipe out far more species than man yet your grand theory is she'll take care of everything. Ill leave you to your chanting and wishing for the world to end.

Last edited:
Now theres a concept, breeding bees for after the fall of humanity. So why is it different now to the previous 25yrs? You cant be suggesting this mere heartbeat in evolutionary terms is relevant. What would it matter if that point if honeybees died out? There are surely enough orher pollinators to fill the gap. Nature has seen fit to wipe out far more species than man yet your grand theory is she'll take care of everything. Ill leave you to your chanting and wishing for the world to end.

Oliver repeats halleluja evolution theory that pest and host have some kind of balance. This has been repeated since I have visited on forums.

My bee yard is not a battle ground of evolution. If I do not treat hives, mite will kill 100% out of my colonies.

Treating 25 years depends on country. To Finland mite arrived from Russia about 1975. IT went 10 years that beekeepers had no method how to kill mites. Mites simply killed all hives from apiary to apiary. So, it started about 50 years ago.

All feral black bees were killed from nature.

What has happened during last 50 years. Varroa kills hives even much more easier than 30 years ago, even if you try to treat them. Experiences of 30 years do not protect you. All 100 hives may die during one year.

You don’t think much, do you? When was the last time a dead-out over winter get robbed out and resulted in the dispersal of the varroa mites?

Yes, you limited knowledge just tells about how much you think. Parasites do not set out to kill their host. It is self defeating if they die, along with the host.

Eventually, the mite and the bee must live together. If all varroa did was to kill off the host, they would not exist. I wonder where these mites came from, if there were no live hosts? The problem with varroa ia analogous to infecting Inuits with the common cold virus - it killed them in droves.

Contrary to what you might think, varroa is not going away. Treating has certainly been necessary over the last 25 years, but eventually - when humans have killed themselves off - the bees will need to look after themselves, without artificial chemical intervention. I think the colonies that continue to survive will be the ones that thrive.

On a similar note, perhaps beekeepers are just too greedy - they expect their bee colonies to return huge crops for their masters? A common fault of the human race. They are always wanting a better return from the animals and plants they have plundered. That was not the case when the planet was in better equilibrium.

Think about it. A little deeper than you clearly have done so far.

Healthy bees collect and store honey. With some forage and a bit of basic beekeeping skills it's what they do and it's difficult not to take a large crop of honey. The statement we hear often "I don't mind that my bees don't make much honey- I'm not greedy!" generally equals sick bees or poor management.

Based on this, I should have no bees by now. Why this isn’t the case you think?

By what I recall, you have been neglecting to treat your bees for 2-3 years. You are now approaching the tipping point, it's from now on they are in dire danger

same here - gorse is a riot of yellow at the moment, catkins won't be long and the snowdrops are poking their noses out already

Gorse flowering here always this time of year down at the cloud line 700ft plus . Locally 1550ft nowt flowering . Just mist mist and more cloud ..
All hives doing toilet duties even in the mist a couple of days ago 10 degrees. They needed to go 3 weeks 4days since there last .

I'm not greedy!" generally equals sick bees or poor management.

Such happens when a man becomes old.

I have been very tired whole summer and autumn.
3 weeks ago I got am answer. I have got old age diabetes. I got pills at once.

Somebody give me hope!!!!!!

After measuring my blood sugar I understand that only hope is go out and do something work or walk. What ever which burns extra sugar from blood. Extra sugar makes tired and lazy.

Such happens when a man becomes old.

I have been very tired whole summer and autumn.
3 weeks ago I got am answer. I have got old age diabetes. I got pills at once.

Somebody give me hope!!!!!!

After measuring my blood sugar I understand that only hope is go out and do something work or walk. What ever which burns extra sugar from blood. Extra sugar makes tired and lazy.

I must have been on a high sugar diet these last few weeks Finman. I feel tired and lazy too.
Does this mean you'll not be able to enjoy your own honey?

The statement we hear often "I don't mind that my bees don't make much honey- I'm not greedy!" generally equals sick bees or poor management.

The same means the statement: I do not mind a quantity. I mind quality.

Okay! One hive brings 30 kg fireweed honey, because pastures are poor or are too far. Another hive brings 90 kg fireweed honey. According quality theory 30 kg has better quality.

I must have been on a high sugar diet these last few weeks Finman. I feel tired and lazy too.
Does this mean you'll not be able to enjoy your own honey?

I wondered in autumn, why I was totally tired out next day, when I extracted honey a long work day. Now I understand that I ate quite much honey during extraction and next day blood sugar was too high.

But best in this is, that diabetes as a reason is now found.

Last edited:
By what I recall, you have been neglecting to treat your bees for 2-3 years. You are now approaching the tipping point, it's from now on they are in dire danger

It is not a big job to find out, do hives have mites or not. You trickle a hive with oxalic acid syrup and mites start to fall onto floor after 3 days.

Had to dodge bees flying round the house and getting water from moss from off the roof. Loads flying once again.

Different development cycle in A.cerana means it isn’t affected as much as A.melifera. Varroa can get another reprieve cycle as the brood stage is longer so that is 50% increase in feeding/damage/virus transmission.

It is still a parasite of A.cerana as it is all take it just doesn’t damage as much.

If it helped any way we would refer to it as a symbiote not a parasite.

Even in the rapid reproduction of bees you will not witness and record evolution in a human lifetime, you are lucky if you witness selection. Unless you are using II (as per B+ the only fair choice for bees in your charge if you choose not to treat in my opinion) if you go treatment free as you are legally bound to reduce suffering to the animals in your care even if that means monitoring mite drops and treating if required.

Thinking about it though I may stop feeding my children in the hope that future generations evolve to fend for themselves......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bees do not die out. In USA number of hives stays same even if 40% out of hives die annually.

I know, i was talking about unmanaged colonies in Oliver90owner's post humanity fantasy.

Latest posts

Back