Polishing Wax Cake

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melon

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone got any top tips on how to get the blemishes out of a wax cake to make it lovely and smooth for the show?? There are little bits of pitting around the side. Perhaps my bowl wasn't smooth enough in the first place. Do I need to remelt or can I just polish out with a duster?
Thanks

a little white spirit on a soft cloth should do the trick.

a little white spirit on a soft cloth should do the trick.

I disagree. Melt it down. A good judge will detect the white spirit. I guess no harm in trying it first as a practice.

Adam

will? cooling the wax down very slowly work, was the wax cooled down too quick and shrunk, dont really know just adding a thought.

I put newspaper on top of the bowl to slow cooling, and used a pyrex bowl, but probably the bowl is scratched. The last one came out nice, but with a few bits of debris, so I had to strasin it again. I am wondering if I used a different size bowl, which was perhaps rougher. The problem is I think I've heard wax deteriotes every time you melt it...does it become darker?

Heat 2 house bricks in the oven and leave them in there all the time the wax is cooling, overnight would be good. Does need to cool very slowly for show.

if you go onto the national honey show website, there is a downloadable 'how to' for preparing wax for a show., I think it's a Padmore document.

I also wrap the pyrex bowl in tin foil to prevent condensation. I use clear, fragrant free washing up liquid, smeared around the inside of the bowl until it's completely dry (you rub it on with a finger until the friction increases). Pour the wax. (which musn't be overheated or it will darken) When I remove from the (now cold) oven the following morning, I top up with water, and place in the fridge. The additional shrinkage allows water in, and the residual washing up liquid allows it to come away. Normally it's floating on the water by the time I return in the evening.

If you want to add some smell back to it, place it in a biscuit tin (or similar) with a jar of open honey, and/or, brush the inside of the box with molten beeswax. Place the wax block in and put the lid on.

Adam

I bought two new Pyrex bowls for use as show wax moulds. The show blocks had the word PYREX in the middle, because the bowls had been embossed on the inside!

Back