Getting creative with wax!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It’s that time of year to get creative and each year i try to think of a new wax project. Especially if I can give as presents for Xmas. Usually start when the pressure gets on early Dec!

I’ve been thinking about luminaires and how I’d make them. Then at the National honey show I saw one, wow! Here’s a pic. It didn’t win a prize but it should have. I’ve picked some autumn leaves and had top tips how to dry them from my mum, so they are being pressed now. She was an expert flower drier and presser in the 70s & 80s so funny how that trend is coming full circle. This is a great summer as well as Xmas idea.

Anyone tried making one?

Anyone got any other creative wax ideas they’d like to share ?

Attachments

• E7144C10-0CE6-40A1-9A31-5A7C296D2074.jpeg
    E7144C10-0CE6-40A1-9A31-5A7C296D2074.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
It’s that time of year to get creative and each year i try to think of a new wax project. Especially if I can give as presents for Xmas. Usually start when the pressure gets on early Dec!

I’ve been thinking about luminaires and how I’d make them. Then at the National honey show I saw one, wow! Here’s a pic. It didn’t win a prize but it should have. I’ve picked some autumn leaves and had top tips how to dry them from my mum, so they are being pressed now. She was an expert flower drier and presser in the 70s & 80s so funny how that trend is coming full circle. This is a great summer as well as Xmas idea.

Anyone tried making one?

I saw that as well. It was a brilliant piece of work.

Anyone tried making one?

Wow indeed! Totally beyond me though

I saw that one as well. I spoke to someone who’d made one. Fill a ballon with water to the size you want, and dip it into melted wax several times. Stick the flowers on with blobs of wax and dip into the wax again to fix them permanently. Burst the balloon when finished. rub The base on a hot plate or similar to level it off, and the same with the top edge.
Sounds easy…….!

I saw that one as well. I spoke to someone who’d made one. Fill a ballon with water to the size you want, and dip it into melted wax several times. Stick the flowers on with blobs of wax and dip into the wax again to fix them permanently. Burst the balloon when finished. rub The base on a hot plate or similar to level it off, and the same with the top edge.
Sounds easy…….!
yes that is my plan.... when I get round to it!

@elainemary
Can’t remember which thread you asked me but this is the box and the link
BENECREAT 30PCS Black Kraft Paper Gift Box With Clear PVC Window Foldable Rectangle Wedding Chocolate Candy Favors Package Box, 12.5x8.5x1.5cm https://amzn.eu/7XOdbog

AB32D26F-F517-4F55-8DBE-3657A4CE8A86.jpeg

These are the gold deep tea light cups from 4candles
I preferred the brown ones but they were out of stock at the time

Anyone tried making one?

I saw that one, there was another one there with dried flowers. I thought both were great and want to give it a try as well!!

Do you go in for scented candles for Christmas in the USA?

That would be a nice present. We have shops with large displays of candles. Scented and unscented. I still have a special beewax candle someone gave me years ago as it it too pretty to burn much and ruin the design.

candle.jpg

That would be a nice present. We have shops with large displays of candles. Scented and unscented. I still have a special beewax candle someone gave me years ago as it it too pretty to burn much and ruin the design.

View attachment 34340
That’s the trouble with pretty candles. You don’t want to burn them
I send them to my daughter in Berlin and she sends me pictures of them in various stages of annihilation by fire 😂😂

That’s the trouble with pretty candles. You don’t want to burn them
I send them to my daughter in Berlin and she sends me pictures of them in various stages of annihilation by fire 😂😂
The photos show a green man in (poor wax) the only one I have left from a mould I made from silicone. Will be casting some in fresh wax soon. The other one is a little box with some foundation and small bees crawling over it. Kids love it!!

Attachments

• IMG_4011.JPG
    IMG_4011.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4012.JPG
    IMG_4012.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
Was it @Wilco and @Curly green finger's experimenting making moulds from pine cones last year?
I was, can't recall about CGF. Found initial demoulding was challenging. Put everything about candles on hold for most of the year but next plan is cone pre dipped in wax so I can get it out of the mould after, plus with some of the centre filled in with wax so it's not so narrow centrally.

Will also be making some other moulds- either duplicates or making my own models to cast.

The results of candle making yesterday. This was our second ever crack at it.
The pillar was from a polycarbonate mould, liberally sprayed with silicon, then wrapped in thick bubble wrap to cool very slowly.
It was easy to remove from the mould apparently.
4DF8E207-5DF8-4FFC-BACC-7C4F0CED859E.jpeg

Reactions: Kaz
The results of candle making yesterday. This was our second ever crack at it.
The pillar was from a polycarbonate mould, liberally sprayed with silicon, then wrapped in thick bubble wrap to cool very slowly.
It was easy to remove from the mould apparently.
View attachment 34378
Very pretty tins. Have you done a test burn?

Latest posts

Back