Getting creative with wax!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently doing a test burn using the tins that @Kaz suggested. NT47 wick from 4Candles. Does this look ok? It’s burning to the edges. Is the flame ok as it ‘bounces’ a bit now and then.
The flames look a little large, but no doubt will give more light. Its a real challenge to get things “just right”. Lots of trial and error and then you run out of wax!
Still experimenting here - last pillar candle cooled with a hole / crevasse in it and needs remelting😤

Remelted pillar in its “cocoon” to prevent cracking - I hope!!!
Result will be posted tomorrow with either a smiley face or a grrrrrrr!09DF0780-C4DA-433C-B36B-DF3BAC08BA77.jpeg

Remelted pillar in its “cocoon” to prevent cracking - I hope!!!
Result will be posted tomorrow with either a smiley face or a grrrrrrr!View attachment 34472
Good luck.
Hubby has just made me a tea light insulator out of some spare PIR to stop them cracking as they cool. Update as to whether it works later.

Attachments

• C430C6D2-AAB4-4BD9-8CDF-F7DC5AE03E2F.jpeg
    C430C6D2-AAB4-4BD9-8CDF-F7DC5AE03E2F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Good luck.
Hubby has just made me a tea light insulator out of some spare PIR to stop them cracking as they cool. Update as to whether it works later.
A bit more professional than my “cocoon” 🤗 Nicely done methinks.

Think I’m going off making candles.
The wicks keep coming out of the holders despite crimping tightly when I pour the wax in. Then the wick slumps to one side and looks pathetic.
Any suggestions please?
Thank you

Think I’m going off making candles.
The wicks keep coming out of the holders despite crimping tightly when I pour the wax in. Then the wick slumps to one side and looks pathetic.
Any suggestions please?
Thank you
Crimp the wick into the sustainer with a pair of pliers then stick the sustainer to the centre of the tin with a glue dot……..oops, looks like Dani beat me to it👍

Is there any way to clean up tea light holders ? I’ve used load’s trying to get it right.

Wax your wicks before using. Then they stick well into the sustainers and don't flop at the top. Stick your sustainer to the bottom of the tea light holder with a dot of superglue.
Wipe tea light holders carefully with clean cloth while the wax is still very hot - so the outside wax slides off the hot tin when you wipe it.
And always take Dani's advice!

First foray into candle making and managed to totally confuse myself on the 4candles website, so some advice please!
I want to use some ramekins as I have loads - they measure 85mm wide and 40mm deep. What wick do I use WickWell NT 71? I also quite like the idea of a wood wick - what would be the right choice for this? What would be the best method for either wicks. Any advice gratefully received! Many thanks.

First foray into candle making and managed to totally confuse myself on the 4candles website, so some advice please!
I want to use some ramekins as I have loads - they measure 85mm wide and 40mm deep. What wick do I use WickWell NT 71? I also quite like the idea of a wood wick - what would be the right choice for this? What would be the best method for either wicks. Any advice gratefully received! Many thanks.
Not sure, but beeswax needs a larger wick than silicone or paraffin wax. For a 3 inch diameter pillar I’ve used the Thornes 21/2 wick with success. Not so successful with tea lights yet, but my failures were caused by wicks too small. Not much help I know - it’s all very much trial and error it seems. No idea about a wood wick???

Not sure, but beeswax needs a larger wick than silicone or paraffin wax. For a 3 inch diameter pillar I’ve used the Thornes 21/2 wick with success. Not so successful with tea lights yet, but my failures were caused by wicks too small. Not much help I know - it’s all very much trial and error it seems. No idea about a wood wick???
Thanks Poot. I'll let you know how I get on and depending how badly some pics!

Latest posts

Back