Getting creative with wax!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very pretty tins. Have you done a test burn?
We’ve not timed one yet, but the one we tested for how it would burn, seemed to burn well. Will time one soon.

I’ve had loads of problems with mine. Have had to try so many different wicks. Most just tunnelled and left a lot of unburned candle. I’ve cracked it now though.

The results of candle making yesterday. This was our second ever crack at it.
The pillar was from a polycarbonate mould, liberally sprayed with silicon, then wrapped in thick bubble wrap to cool very slowly.
It was easy to remove from the mould apparently.
View attachment 34378
Really like the containers. They look lovely candles.

I’ve had loads of problems with mine. Have had to try so many different wicks. Most just tunnelled and left a lot of unburned candle. I’ve cracked it now though.
We’re going for a burn this evening before making too many - will dutifully report back on the morrow🤗

More work required, as my teachers used to report!
It started well, nice flame, then subsided to a small flame and the photos show it just wasn’t much good - photos show the order of events.49D3346C-8618-4BCC-948F-5CCB04042F73.jpeg05B0E9A6-A686-44DA-B692-7ACD34F218CF.jpeg2B0EC538-F8C1-4D84-A357-8572C6394957.jpeg
We burnt for just under four hours. Tunnelling. Wick size too small methinks.
Any hints and suggestions are welcomed👍
F0E70554-241B-450D-8FEC-D7ADBD9963A4.jpeg

Had a play with miscellaneous wax melting it into smaller blocks and trying my new moulds last night. Some of the wax needs a few more passes of filtering I think.

Will test burns shortly but think I need some bigger wicks for some of these. Least impressed with Thorne hexagon candle mould but it may work as a floating candle. Nativity scene was a bit expensive but I rather like it. May get a larger skep mould and a middle sized tree one at some stage. Cone came out ok but still going to make my own cone mould I think.

20221112_090842.jpg

We burnt for just under four hours. Tunnelling. Wick size too small methinks.
Any hints and suggestions are welcomed
My candles are 6cm diameter. I’m using NT 47 wick from 4 candles in mine. I wax and tab them myself. I tried the 44 first.

Had a play with miscellaneous wax melting it into smaller blocks and trying my new moulds last night. Some of the wax needs a few more passes of filtering I think.

Will test burns shortly but think I need some bigger wicks for some of these. Least impressed with Thorne hexagon candle mould but it may work as a floating candle. Nativity scene was a bit expensive but I rather like it. May get a larger skep mould and a middle sized tree one at some stage. Cone came out ok but still going to make my own cone mould I think.

View attachment 34390
Yes some are a bit dark. Looking forward to seeing your own cone candles. Tricky I’d say.

View attachment 34390
Very impressive👍

My candles are 6cm diameter. I’m using NT 47 wick from 4 candles in mine. I wax and tab them myself. I tried the 44 first.
I’ll try that, thanks for the info.

Did a test burn on one of mine today. Pleased with the results. Three hour burn and only a small amount of wax left. I’ll include a photo of the remnants tomorrow.
Edit: this is what is left of the Christmas tree. I think it would have all burnt had I had a smaller container for it.

Attachments

• 0B7FF5FB-4171-4EDA-A2FE-6C6F691509EA.jpeg
    0B7FF5FB-4171-4EDA-A2FE-6C6F691509EA.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 751328D1-C80F-41AB-9F68-ED418CE28D21.jpeg
    751328D1-C80F-41AB-9F68-ED418CE28D21.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
My moulds come from Abelo. I've always used the wicks they recommend
I doubt the big fancy candles...I have their square honeycomb with a bee on top...ever get set alight.

My moulds come from Abelo. I've always used the wicks they recommend
I doubt the big fancy candles...I have their square honeycomb with a bee on top...ever get set alight.
I have Abelo’s small Christmas tree and small skep and always use the wick they recommend. It’s the other candles, suggested on here that made me worried about wick size.
All the wick suppliers seem to label their wicks differently. Is there any way to compare sizes?

View attachment 34390
Cool stuff, amazing!

Currently doing a test burn using the tins that @Kaz suggested. NT47 wick from 4Candles. Does this look ok? It’s burning to the edges. Is the flame ok as it ‘bounces’ a bit now and then.

Attachments

• EF3B6930-53B7-4E2C-8748-F0E7EABC0EE6.jpeg
    EF3B6930-53B7-4E2C-8748-F0E7EABC0EE6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • E2682B82-3930-4863-9A3C-F3ED429B1701.jpeg
    E2682B82-3930-4863-9A3C-F3ED429B1701.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Currently doing a test burn using the tins that @Kaz suggested. NT47 wick from 4Candles. Does this look ok? It’s burning to the edges. Is the flame ok as it ‘bounces’ a bit now and then.
I'm not an expert on candles but the tip of the wick looks like it might be doing something they call 'mushrooming', which may mean it's too big and ends up burning uncleanly. Have you tried it with the NT38?

I'm not an expert on candles but the tip of the wick looks like it might be doing something they call 'mushrooming', which may mean it's too big and ends up burning uncleanly. Have you tried it with the NT38?
No, not yet. I have the NT44, not sure I ordered the 38

Reactions: Kaz

Latest posts

Back