Getting creative with wax!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been using hobby craft glue dots, but they obviously aren’t up to the job.
hi Emily, I dip my sustainer quickly in moulten wax and that holds it on the bottom of the tea light, in place. Leave to set for a minute or two whilst you do others, then pour the wax in. I tried crimping my own but too much faff and time so I buy pre crimped. Get the occasional failure with 4candles pre crimped sustainers, with wick coming out, so even the professionals are not perfect!

Is there any way to clean up tea light holders ? I’ve used load’s trying to get it right.
Empathise! Best to fill your jug only half full & place the tea lights towards the end of the worksurface, that way get much less spillages. Have heard of others pouring the wax onto folded paper to get a really narrow spout to flow the wax into the tea light. Sounds good but found I didn’t have enough hands!

Managed to get my wax a bit yellower. Had a load of darkish wax which was fairly caramel in colour even after straining it. I then steamed it through a pillowcase. Photo shows candles made with wax from the same batch but before (R) and after (L) the steaming. Had to remelt the sheet of wax from the steaming process back into ingots before candle making as some had tiny bits of water encapsulated.

20221124_235157.jpg

Yes I agree
After all the faffing we do with moulds and tea lights folk do like candles they can actually burn
I have a few well to do customers who often spend ~£30 on fresh candles to set the table for guests, no skin off my nose!
But I do wonder if the half burned candles get chucked in landfill, maybe a returns policy might work.

Managed to get my wax a bit yellower. Had a load of darkish wax which was fairly caramel in colour even after straining it. I then steamed it through a pillowcase. Photo shows candles made with wax from the same batch but before (R) and after (L) the steaming. Had to remelt the sheet of wax from the steaming process back into ingots before candle making as some had tiny bits of water encapsulated.

View attachment 34539
Not sure I'll burn them.:)

Good luck.
Hubby has just made me a tea light insulator out of some spare PIR to stop them cracking as they cool. Update as to whether it works later.
Emily what is PIR? Google comes up with passive infrared sensor!! Looks a neat solution to your tealight cracking. Did your wick stabilisers come from 4candles?

Emily what is PIR? Google comes up with passive infrared sensor!! Looks a neat solution to your tealight cracking. Did your wick stabilisers come from 4candles?
It’s cellotex etc. stops the cracking beautifully. The wick holders were from Amazon. They were the only company who could get them to me quickly enough. Plenty of other companies do them, but I couldn’t find them on 4Candles.

It’s that time of year to get creative and each year i try to think of a new wax project. Especially if I can give as presents for Xmas. Usually start when the pressure gets on early Dec!

I’ve been thinking about luminaires and how I’d make them. Then at the National honey show I saw one, wow! Here’s a pic. It didn’t win a prize but it should have. I’ve picked some autumn leaves and had top tips how to dry them from my mum, so they are being pressed now. She was an expert flower drier and presser in the 70s & 80s so funny how that trend is coming full circle. This is a great summer as well as Xmas idea.

Anyone tried making one?

Anyone got any other creative wax ideas they’d like to share ?
I like the beeswax luminaire, but having seen how beeswax burns, I would worry about it being a fire risk.

It’s cellotex etc. stops the cracking beautifully. The wick holders were from Amazon. They were the only company who could get them to me quickly enough. Plenty of other companies do them, but I couldn’t find them on 4Candles.
4candles do a nifty plastic one with a tensioner. No good for prewaxed wick though

PIR (polyisocyanurate), typically cut into boards, can be used in insulated metal panels, wall cavities and as insulated plasterboard. PIR has such a high thermal performance, it requires only half the thickness of other mineral-based insulation products.

A question on rolled candles please. I have some unwired thin super foundation I bought for cut comb next year. Could I use some of this to make short rolled candles ( I was thinking of using about 2/3 of a sheet each) or should I go for the thicker foundation?
Judy

A question on rolled candles please. I have some unwired thin super foundation I bought for cut comb next year. Could I use some of this to make short rolled candles ( I was thinking of using about 2/3 of a sheet each) or should I go for the thicker foundation?
Judy
You definitely can use the thinner foundation. You want to make sure to role it snugly and evenly. However, you always want to keep in mind what the width of your candle will be when you’re finished. The thinner the foundation, the thinner the candle will be. People want taper candles that fit standard candleholders, so you may need to use more to get the correct thickness.

Latest posts

Back