God I love growing our own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you plant your spuds?
I mark out the rows then make holes in flat ground with a modified bulb planter and drop in the spud. I then rake adjacent soil to make a ridge above the spuds. No further earthing-up needed. The pics below show Casablanca, planted last week March, coming through.
My neighbour on the allotment digs out a furrow, plants the spuds and earths up progressively as the foliage appears.
Another neighbour plants in holes on the flat and earths up progressively.
IMG_1811.jpegIMG_1812.jpeg

Last year I planted in furrows, earthing up as leaves appeared in my raised beds. This year in bags as I’ve run out of bed space. I’ll add homemade compost as leaves appear to the bags.

I stick my trowel in the ground, pull the soil/compost aside, drop in the potato and cover it back up. For earthing up I just spread more compost around the plants.

James

All my spuds showing now, one small cucumber and one set tomato in the greenhouse. Peas half way up poles and broad beans setting nicely. I love spring

Hmmm. Electronic person, much?

I've been out in the veg plot weeding this morning and have a nice little collection of new potatoes from volunteer plants that I have removed. Around 1pm the Sun came out and I had to go to check I didn't have a swarm leaving one of my hives. The volume of bees flying had gone right up to 11. Nothing exciting was going on though -- just enjoying working on the sycamores I think.

James

Spent pretty much all day in the veg plot today. So much to catch up on now the weather seems to be improving, at least until next week. I'm bored of weeding despite being little more than half way through what needs doing, so I started the day by planting out trays and trays of what in a normal year might be called seedlings, but this year are rather bigger than that. I think I managed about twenty trays worth in the end. There are still more to go though.

Rather than being a pleasant and leisurely activity it now seems to be a rush just to get the stuff done that absolutely needs doing now. Just a question of getting my head down and getting through it, I guess.

James

Latest posts

Back