Flow Hive - more info

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what i gather it is all paid in advance, that is the whole point of it, money to set up the project, and then they are under no legal obligation to provide anyone with anything regards the products.

IndieGoGo charge a 4% fee if the project succeeds. Easy money.

IndieGoGo charge a 4% fee if the project succeeds. Easy money.

Yes, they charge 9% up until the target figure and when that has been reached they give back 5% and charge only 4% onwards.

Doing well very on this project.

The money is pledged.
On UK crowd funding sites it's often via Paypal which then takes the money from your account when the funding date is reached.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get 5million.

Isn't one of the dragons an Internet cloud multi millionair.

It's a couple of years now but followed a cloud funding request to set up apiaries in the south east, save the bees and all that. However they got their target of £30,000 and at the same time ran the same campaign on other cloud funding sites.

Get your thinking caps on folks you don't even need a product to sell just an idea, dream that connects and caching :)

Yes, they charge 9% up until the target figure and when that has been reached they give back 5% and charge only 4% onwards.

Doing well very on this project.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-...collect-honey-without-disturbing-hive/6222728

So:
1. They don't have to sell shares in a company to raise capital (which would reduce their ownership of the company and incur a liability for dividend payments)
2. By specifying a low target for the amount they wanted to raise, they limit the cost of the exercise to 9% of the £70,000 (£6,300). Everything else costs only 4%.

I doubt they could get that from a bank. Sounds like a licence to print money to me

Last edited:
Isn't one of the dragons an Internet cloud multi millionair.

It's a couple of years now but followed a cloud funding request to set up apiaries in the south east, save the bees and all that. However they got their target of £30,000 and at the same time ran the same campaign on other cloud funding sites.

Get your thinking caps on folks you don't even need a product to sell just an idea, dream that connects and caching :)

Strangely I saw something pop up on FB yesterday about an AMM project (by Phil Chandler) looking for crowd funding.

Strangely I saw something pop up on FB yesterday about an AMM project (by Phil Chandler) looking for crowd funding.

Not surprised as there will probably be a whole load of ideas out their soon enough following on the back of this flow hive. For me I would be interested in knowing a bit of background on the farther and son, just curious if they have just struck lucky with a reasonably well thought out ides or is it a calculated marketing gamble and they understand cloud funding.

Remind me what ambient temperature is required before honey flows easily ? 25C ?

Anyone...?

Jeepers
What's wrong with some of you?
Beekeeping has been a test bed craft for generations.
Maybe these guys are onto something here?
I hope so as some of the cleverclogg, narrow-minded comments smack of envy to me.
:hairpull:

So, you're going to install this system so that you don't have to manipulate normal frames twice a year to extract honey the traditional way, but you'll have to extract the new frame twice a year to clean it.

What's the point?

LOL. Somebody's missed the point entirely. Migratory beekeepers would have to clean the channels more than twice a year! Price is too prohibitive for only half the honey frames, you couldn't put super frames alongside them, it would produce wild comb underneath. You would know if somebody has got there before you extract, unless they are nice thieves and clean the channels for you.

Yes you are - three million plus dollar's worth of mugs willing to put their money up front based on a good sales speil and a few pretty made up pictures and promises of a Lala land idyllic version of beekeeping

So...............you're a bit sceptical then?.......:icon_204-2:

Quite a few people showing interest here in the UK too
This from Omlet forum

Hello everyone,
I just found this and thought it'd be great to share it here.

I don't keep bees but I've been considering. I keep chickens but that's about it.

Anyway - check this out. This looks amazing. I am considering getting one after I convince hubby...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flow-hive-honey-on-tap-directly-from-your-beehive

Actually.......I've had an idea.......Wonder if MBC has any Varroa stones left, or leaflets on his 'special diet'. Must pm him.....If I'm strong enough after the diet ends! :sifone:

I think once a beekeeper with this hive realises he/she still has to learn and deal with swarm control, disease management and all the other general duties required of a responsible beekeeper a tap on the side will be considered a hindrance rather than a help. Especially when the frames become a real mess in a very short space of time and need cleaning to get rid of crystalised honey so that the system works again. They will then realise that removing supers and extracting is the more efficient and less wasteful way of doing things. I have taps on my honey buckets and they work great.

In the variable UK climate a honey tap might work in the balmy sunny South..but it may never work when the harvest is late July/early August and it rains: the honey may be too viscous...

It's rather like saying a milking parlour with electric milking machines makes keeping dairy cows easy.

In the variable UK climate a honey tap might work in the balmy sunny South..but it may never work when the harvest is late July/early August and it rains: the honey may be too viscous...

I agree, could have a lot of ling in them as well in this area, not a big problem though, just put them thorough the honey extractor...too expensive to be pressing them.:rolleyes:

I wonder what the real impact of this will be after thousands of wannabe beeks realise that a beehive is an all year round commitment that needs work and knowledge, not just an appliance that you turn on and off like a tap.

And when you forget to take them out in the autumn and they are clogged solid with ivy honey.....

One thought I've had about them is that they might suit the new Zealand beekeeping environment (bee strain and weather) but they would want to do some field tests in other climates before launching this product worldwide, though it's obviously too late to stop this runaway train!

Latest posts

Back