Flow Hive - more info

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a look here
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2223561.pdf

It is a US patent dated 1940 for a design uncannily similar to the flow hive.
I wonder why it didn't work then?

This is on the Scottish forum and Beesource, among other places, it was made of metal, plus communications were not like they are now were among some of the thoughts given for why it never caught on. There are other very similar patents to be found online well as this one.

Crowd funding up to ....$3,705,686 USD on the flow hive now.

Last edited:
I commented twice with my thoughts on this hive on a facebook thread posted by someone promoting this hive, there were hundreds of people asking where they could get one & where to send money. I posted why i didnt think it would work. & associated problems & i was blocked from posting, it seems they dont like people trying to prevent them tsking peoples money. I guess if these people are so stupid to give their money purely because they think they can have honey on tap then thats their hard luck, they can kiss their money goodbye!

All these gullible people will soon realise the flow hive is a lot of work for not quite the gain expected so the following will happen.

A revised frame will be produced prefilled with honey.
Then.....
This will still be seen to be too much work so the next rev of the frame will be an open cylindrical glass vessel with a removable pressed steel screw fix capping complete with 1lb of honey, capable of being placed directly on the kitchen table.

All these gullible people will soon realise the flow hive is a lot of work for not quite the gain expected so the following will happen.

Then.....
This will still be seen to be too much work so the next rev of the frame will be an open cylindrical glass vessel with a removable pressed steel screw fix capping complete with 1lb of honey, capable of being placed directly on the kitchen table.

That'll work ... I think the patents on screw top jars has lapsed now - seen quite a few of them in the shops - some already with honey in them !

The flow hive fan club have just raised $4,000,158USD
raised of $70,000 goal so far.

The flow hive fan club have just raised $4,000,158USD
raised of $70,000 goal so far.

Oh my .... who would ever have thought it ? And it still has 35 days to run ! Predictions are that the funding will top £5m even with the inevitable slow down ... Wonder what will happen now ? Or more interestingly - later !!

Just demonstrates the power of persuasive marketing ... to a receptive audience. Perhaps we should be thinking about alternative uses for recyled flow hives ?

Just put on another couple of thousand, seems to take about ten minutes. Averaging over a quarter million a day....fascinating to just watch money rolling in like that

We will need a flow hive section of the forum. I wonder how busy that section would be?

Probably just the one thread;

Post#1
Still no sign of my flow hive arriving, I'm beginning to wonder whether I'll ever see my new hive or my money again!

Followed by a few thousand :iagree: 's

Or as it's this forum a few hundred threads on the same topic interspersed with the odd
my bees have arrived but no sign of the hive - do you think that if I put them in the fridge they'll keep?

:D

Or as it's this forum a few hundred threads on the same topic interspersed with the odd

No, they will all get heaped into one single super thread... i bet that thread will overtake ....What did you do in the apiary today.

No, they will all get heaped into one single super thread... i bet that thread will overtake ....What did you do in the apiary today.

They could have their own 'what did you do in the apiary today thread, pretty boring probably, the first post will go something around the lines of:

B*gger all - my hive hasn't arrived yet, and when I opened the fridge, all the bees had died.

Followed by a few thousand :iagree: 's

Looking through the comments on indiego I get the impression they haven't sold many/any in these isles. Also staggering that anyone would stump up good money to launch a product - even though they clearly now have enough to start production. Why not just wait until there's a "buy it now" option?

We will need a flow hive section of the forum. I wonder how busy that section would be?

and i have my bet on who will head that post ..what do i do now .how do i do this .it don't flow like the film said...which way do i turn the key.

Latest posts

Back