keeping it small (using long hives]

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I have a small area in an orchard to use as apiary , I am about to build 2 long hives [for ease of lifting].

What i am wondering is, how to keep to just 2 hives when the bees will keep multiplying .

Do i just allow them to swarm as and when . The honey harvest is not as important for me as keeping pollinators.

If this is possible ,what length hive would be good to keep a colony happy .

I had thought of 4 foot [1.2m] which would be similar to two nationals in area if believe .If i use standard national frames.

regards Alan

Do i just allow them to swarm as and when .
and be a nuisance to neighbours? you still need to practice swarm control/avoidance
The honey harvest is not as important for me as keeping pollinators.
plenty of honeybees about - maybe give a helping hand to the other pollinators that are really sruggling, such as bumbles and solitary bees

What i am wondering is, how to keep to just 2 hives when the bees will keep multiplying
you can still use a type of pagden artifical swarm, just get rid of one of the queens and re-unite at the end of the season

My diy pir long hive uses 26 BS deeps and a dummy at each end.
I harvest sealed stores as and when needed to give room, so each week during the main forage season I carry a six frame nuc with empty combs.
It can be used to simply swap out combs or to carry out a small A/S.

To prevent losing swarms practice clipping as part of your management to give you time .

Long hives are the same as any other hives when it comes to swarm control. You can't just let them swarm... totally antisocial. One of the good things about long hives is that they make big colonies.. if you want them for pollination and don't
need to move them they are ideal. The ideal length is about 25 frames and with that length you can divide colonies into two with a division board.. reducing the size of the colony will reduce the swarming urge to a degree but you will still end up with them building queen cells in the queemless half so you then have to remove one queen and recombine. But they may start building swarm cells when you put them back together !.. You really need a couple of nuc boxes as well as your long hives then you have the means to do proper artificial swarms..Robin Dartington published a really useful little book on how to manage long hives . He's been running bees in them since methusala was a boy.

I have found my long hive as Philip has mentioned does produce large colonies but so do my double brood horizontal colonies, the difference is long hive in my short long hive experience is they don't gather/ produce the excess honey in the way that my horizontal hives do.

I have found my long hive as Philip has mentioned does produce large colonies but so do my double brood horizontal colonies, the difference is long hive in my short long hive experience is they don't gather/ produce the excess honey in the way that my horizontal hives do.
Yes ... but you mean Vertical hives - I agree though, pro-rata you will get more of a honey crop from vertical rather than horizontal hives. But for pollination you want bees, lots of bees and a long hive will certainly do that with little effort. You will get some honey ....

Yes another tired typo from me philip , yes vertical hive should have been written and not a vertical one.

I have a small area in an orchard to use as apiary , I am about to build 2 long hives [for ease of lifting].

What i am wondering is, how to keep to just 2 hives when the bees will keep multiplying .

Do i just allow them to swarm as and when . The honey harvest is not as important for me as keeping pollinators.

If this is possible ,what length hive would be good to keep a colony happy .

I had thought of 4 foot [1.2m] which would be similar to two nationals in area if believe .If i use standard national frames.

regards Alan
An Omlet guide (their beehaus is essentially a Dartington long hive but plastic https://www.omlet.co.uk/files/public/omlet_guide_to_keeping_bees_and_beehaus_instructions.pdf

Yes another tired typo from me philip , yes vertical hive should have been written and not a vertical one.
We've all been there - pushing against an open door ! My problem is that word you can't remember - I know what it is - I know what it means .. I can visualise it and put it in context - but the actual bloody word just won't come into my head !

The national hive I wish to re-house has double brood [20 frames]
I havent made the new long hive yet but originally planned only 25 frames long so this would be a bit tight ,
if all of the frames were moved over .
I could make new hive 3x the width of a national so say 30 frames or are there other alternatives .
As space is tight in the apiary i cant really do a split and home them

The national hive I wish to re-house has double brood [20 frames]
I havent made the new long hive yet but originally planned only 25 frames long so this would be a bit tight ,
if all of the frames were moved over .
I could make new hive 3x the width of a national so say 30 frames or are there other alternatives .
As space is tight in the apiary i cant really do a split and home them
Entirely up to you of course - but I really would advise against a 30 frames long hive, presumably for ‘standard’ 8 1/2 in deep frames as these will come from a double brood Nat.
The frames are too shallow for the northern hemisphere - we are not in Africa needing to throw off heat as with a top-bar hive but in the gloomy zone where bees need to conserve heat.
I keep a 21 frame Dartington Long Standard (DLS) hive in the teaching apiary , just to show how poorly it performs versus a Long Deep with 12ins deep frames.
The brood nest in shallow frames is just too long, with too much surface area throwing off heat, which means the bees consume more honey to produce heat, reducing the surplus that can be harvested - even the 12ins deep frames would be better 14 ins deep, so that the bees could make bigger circular brood patches on fewer frames and so reduce the overall outer layer from which the heat escapes.
Pics of ‘wild’ nests built by swarms in the open air (having failed to find a cavity) suggest bees prefer to build a spherical brood nest on only 7 frames, flanked by a store frame each side, so total of 9 extra-ddeep combs.
My own compromise has been to use a Long box , twice as long as a Nat (derived in 1975 by screwing two Deep Nat brood boxes back to back. I winter of 9 Deep 14ins frames, ready for the bees to expand the brood onto 7 frames flanked by a store frame each side. Then I can add up to say 5 store frames behind the brood, spaced at 45mm as bees prefer, using slip on wide spacers. I accept that drying nectar to honey in those rear frames will not be as efficient as in frames placed above the brood, where heat rises, but in my area I only get a trickle in spring, no OSR. When the main flow is due I put on ‘supers’ (for convenience half length/weight ‘honeyboxes) over the brood . That leaves a quarter of the long box empty, ready for a nuc when splitting the colony to avoid swarming.
The double-Nat box is quite long enough for all this, and the box is short enough for two to get in my Estate car.

But as said, up to you what you do. But keep in mind, the less honey the bees have to consume to make heat, the more remains for you to harvest as surplus. I suggest a spherical brood nest is optimum - a long low nest is worst.

As an example of what a polyhive can achieve I made this long hive from two Swienty boxes getting over the renowned thin walls on the top of Swienty boxes by using a rail of wood all round. This hive was super strong and I removed honey filled frames at different times replacing them with foundation frames which helped with swarm control giving the colony plenty of work to do. No wooden crown board as suck - a clear reinforced tarpaulin covers the frames (they don't seem to chew it and it peels back from the frames easily.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17420508...0OZJZAAaPa2rZyFR1eQKZwacOQ==|tkp:BFBMoLfS6o9j

and a 50mm Kingspan cover board completes the insulation. Next year will be year 3 for this hive.

Attachments

• IMG_1800.jpg
    IMG_1800.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Pics of ‘wild’ nests built by swarms in the open air (having failed to find a cavity) suggest bees prefer to build a spherical brood nest on only 7 frames, flanked by a store frame each side, so total of 9 extra-ddeep combs.
Here are some pics from Pinterest showing just 7 combs for brood in wild nests, just to back up my view in earlier post
1702977606107.jpeg

As I also run a couple of long deep hives I've been following this post. Deep in my case means dadant sized frames but turned on end so around 42cm deep (cant recall the actual size at this moment but they were originally designed for ERB hive). I have found that 10 of these is my magic number with regards to wintering and maintaining a good sized colony. There is room to expand to 18 frames. Left as a long hive the honey yield is modest especially where I am based and with the poor forage available. For the last two years I experimented (inspired by Dartington) placing a standard national shallow over a queen excluder on top of the hive. Even last year with a poor summers worth of forage I got more honey than I would have done from just a long hive. This set up for me on two LDH's works well, they also require less inspecting and swarming tendencies are decidedly less compared to the 14x12 hives I also run. Just my observations of course; and the bees in the 'best' long deep hive are Irish blacks and in the other are local mongrels.

As I also run a couple of long deep hives I've been following this post. Deep in my case means dadant sized frames but turned on end so around 42cm deep (cant recall the actual size at this moment but they were originally designed for ERB hive). I have found that 10 of these is my magic number with regards to wintering and maintaining a good sized colony. There is room to expand to 18 frames. Left as a long hive the honey yield is modest especially where I am based and with the poor forage available. For the last two years I experimented (inspired by Dartington) placing a standard national shallow over a queen excluder on top of the hive. Even last year with a poor summers worth of forage I got more honey than I would have done from just a long hive. This set up for me on two LDH's works well, they also require less inspecting and swarming tendencies are decidedly less compared to the 14x12 hives I also run. Just my observations of course; and the bees in the 'best' long deep hive are Irish blacks and in the other are local mongrels.
I'd agree with all thar ...not sure about the Irish blacks .. I've mostly had local mongrels in my 14 x 12 LDH ... my LDH has 22 frames used to be 25 but I store dividers at the end. I've had 18 frames of brood in mine - but like you - the honey crop is restricted to a few frames at the extremity of the brood nesr. They do store a lot above and around the brood nest and I've never had a problem with them overwintering on their own stores - sometimes a bit of adustment in autumn to get the frames with mostly stores at one end of the brood nest. As I've often said - as bee factories and for donating frames of brood to my production hives - the LDH is second to none.

Very pleased to hear of other experimental tall-narrow brood frames being tried. I have made one tall-narrow so far, one using two layers of ply - very cumbersome - and one by adding an eke to a DLD hive to increase depth to 12 + beespace + shallow frame depth, so about 18ins, same as double-National but no horizontal division that occurs with double brood. I have reduced internal width to 11ins by lining the sides with 25mm insulation covered by 9mm ply. I make simple U-shaped frames, no bottom bars as bees like the bottom of combs to hang free of bottom bars and of lower part of side bars - the freehanging section is their dancing platform according to Tausz.

Here is pic of tall-narrow honey frame, not yet extended by bees to full depth, uncapped ready for the extractor.

1702986478755.jpeg

Latest posts

Back