Flow Hive - more info

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the context of that quote they are talking about brood disease checks, many only do a full (proper) check for notifiable diseases a couple of times during a season.

:iagree:

Twice is enough for me. Going minutely through seven colonies takes me a long time. I haven't got my eye in yet. I've been lucky that our friendly SBI has been around for two years to do my autumn check and he's blazingly quick.

Now ... here's the plan JBM - don't tell anyone though .. what we do is set up a couple of PYO beekeeping farms ... no bees just good looking hives with a few tubes coming out and taps on them .. inside a 20 litre tub of cheap honey connected to the tubes ... you sell the Chelsea Tractor brigade honey jars at a tenner a go and let them go and fill their own ... have a colouring table for the kids to make their own labels so Aunty Flo has a personalised pot of honey ... a few fluffy bees for them to stroke and sell them packets of wild flower seeds at vastly inflated prices ... it's got legs ... this time next year ... we could be making money from not keeping bees !

That could work... buy in cheap tesoc chinese honey at £1.00 per lb and sell it at £10 for 225g... could even have some already packaged up!!!

You could hire out full beekeeping suits so that the bees ( what bees) do not sting the customers and charge £5 per Chelsea Tractor to goo off road around the car park.... knocks spots off the Maize maze one of our Kernow Cousin beekeperers creates every year to fleece the grockkles:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

Last edited:
The above quote is from the very first post on this topic! It shows that they really know nothing about beekeeping.

We must remember that this device was developed in Australia, which does not have Varroa mites - yet, so less frequent inspections may be the norm. Australia has a very long honey-producing season and home-produced honey is inexpensive, compared to the UK, because it is extracted throughout the year.

There are a number of "non-dummy" people on their crowd-funding video who appear to have used the hive with success but the big issue that I can see and which has been picked up on this forum is will it work in three years' time when the mechanism and moving comb is gummed up with wax and propolis.

The other issue could be that they want to do their manufacturing in Australia, which has a minimum wage of 22 dollars an hours so the costs could be higher than if made in the UK or Estonia or China.

Time will tell.

CVB

Time will tell indeed !!!

... remember all the fuss about the Sun Hive?

... also not in Thorns's catalogue yet!

Yeghes da

The other issue could be that they want to do their manufacturing in Australia, which has a minimum wage of 22 dollars an hours so the costs could be higher than if made in the UK or Estonia or China.

Time will tell.

CVB

$16.87 is the Australian minimum wage.

If it is any use, the Chinese will steal the idea as copyright and patent means nothing to them, you'll be able to buy the frames on alibaba.com for $1 each. They have probably seen the interest generated and are working on their own design already.

The cost does put me off, it's a clever idea. I could see those going missing on many an allotment and tears if they ever had to burn them.

$16.87 is the Australian minimum wage.

You're right - only goes to show one should check facts rather than take other people's word! The Aussi who told me was drunk at the time and the minimum wage bar-tender may have been on time and a half! I do know that Australian labour has priced itself out of car manufacture and now has no car makers - GM (Holden), Ford and Toyota have all closed down their factories.

So apologies for duff data, but as the News of the World editors used to say, "You should never let the facts get in the way of a good story"

CVB

The cost does put me off, it's a clever idea. I could see those going missing on many an allotment and tears if they ever had to burn them.

I'm sure bdi have already cast their beady eye on these and are working a get out on their policies so they won't have to pay out if that eventuality were to come to pass.

flow hive

Recently fell victim to a carbon credit scam. Now out 60 grand so if it seems too good to be true caution is advised.

With all them new beekeepers in US and Australia the price of local honey is going to drop or dry up due to the back yard keepers

My hives are on a golf course so I can see it now... members bring there on jars, fill up half way round and place cash in a make shift WBC moneybox hive. Lol

Aw, go on! I'll throw in a box of tortiseshell bee varroa combs ............and a dozen gold lamé beeotards if you buy two
!
Would be able to supply glass hammers to assemble the hives as well?

Sorry but i think the whole idea is a scam, but I can see it appealing to certain sections of the public. How does it deal with two or three supers of rape honey granulating in a matter of days, or six or seven supers on the hives during the summer months remembering you need supers for room before honey. i think the gullibility of people is amazing.

Rape honey or ivy - it will all end in tears!

Recently fell victim to a carbon credit scam. Now out 60 grand so if it seems too good to be true caution is advised.

Do tell !
Did or fall victim to the Great Solar Cell scam or was it a wind turbine... or even cold fusion....
Must get some more coal in!

Yeghes da

Back