Flow Hive - more info

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it looked great, but then I don't know much about this yet. I almost pledged for some of the frames but you can't pledge for 8 (or easily for a multiple of 8) and apparently that's the number you need to fill a national hive?

I'm rather put off after reading the responses here but I don't know whether the skepticism of the posters here has saved me or whether this'll be a such a success that later issues will be even pricier.

I recently sent them an email regarding the bee proof channel getting clogged up with granulated OSR. Their recommendation is to routinely clean the channels twice a year. If you have any questions why not email them. It would certainly add to the discussion on here.

Last edited:
Do I understand that this boils down to fitting a tap on the side of a beehive?

There is bound to be leakage/spillage - within minutes the first bees will find it and by the end of the day it will attract robbing bees.....let alone wasps.

richard

Do I understand that this boils down to fitting a tap on the side of a beehive?

There is bound to be leakage/spillage - within minutes the first bees will find it and by the end of the day it will attract robbing bees.....let alone wasps.

richard

Not to mention the temptation for anyone in the know to harvest the odd bit of your honey, and you would be none the wiser.

Chris,
Yes, there is that as well - but my biggest concern would be 'live honey' outside the hive attracting robbing bees. However efficient the tap, there's bound to be leakage.

ime just pouring honey into a jar attracts every bee/wasp within pheromone distance!

surely the inventors will have taken this into account, or am I missing something?
richard

Last edited:
surely the inventors will have taken this into account, or am I missing something?
Yes you are - three million plus dollar's worth of mugs willing to put their money up front based on a good sales speil and a few pretty made up pictures and promises of a Lala land idyllic version of beekeeping

Can anyone help me setting up a charity to protect migratory honeybees from off shore wind farms?

If the link fails, google Ol' Buffalo blog

Interesting, and slightly ironic, to see what he says ;)
The "Flow" hive is a clever gadget designed to extract money from people who think they are beekeepers but really aren't -- people who anthropomorphize honey bees. Beekeepers who fall for gimmicks such as this are not likely to have much long-term success keeping bees.​

Last edited:
Interesting, and slightly ironic, to see what he says ;)
The "Flow" hive is a clever gadget designed to extract money from people who think they are beekeepers but really aren't -- people who anthropomorphize honey bees. Beekeepers who fall for gimmicks such as this are not likely to have much long-term success keeping bees.​

Succinct and to the point! :nopity:

I recently sent them an email regarding the bee proof channel getting clogged up with granulated OSR. Their recommendation is to routinely clean the channels twice a year.

So, you're going to install this system so that you don't have to manipulate normal frames twice a year to extract honey the traditional way, but you'll have to extract the new frame twice a year to clean it.

What's the point?

So, you're going to install this system so that you don't have to manipulate normal frames twice a year to extract honey the traditional way, but you'll have to extract the new frame twice a year to clean it.
What's the point?

I think this could well be the only point....$3,154,828USD up to now, another 39 days of people giving them money, then Chinese bag trick time.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF-kkb9jG1A[/ame]

best quote: "If you can't handle a simple honey harvest, you shouldn't be keeping bees".

Slowing down a bit ... but $3.1m ... wish I'd thought about it - probably the best investment scheme since the South Seas Bubble of 1720 ! What I could not determine - and I don't know much about crowd funding - is when do the pledges have to be paid ? Is it all advance money - in which case it's a fabulous seed capital to make the things - whether they work in the long term or not is irrelevant as long as they provide the product. If it's not all paid in advance - well, that's a real millstone round their neck as you would need a lot of infrastructure to provide a worldwide response to potentially between 10,000 and 30,000 customers (if my maths are right ?). Someone on AliBaba will pick up the manufacturing for sure but it's the rest of the logistics that are going to be hard work ... and then ... what happens next ?

Is it all advance money - in which case it's a fabulous seed capital to make the things - whether they work in the long term or not is irrelevant as long as they provide the product.

From what i gather it is all paid in advance, that is the whole point of it, money to set up the project, and then they are under no legal obligation to provide anyone with anything regards the products.

From what i gather it is all paid in advance, that is the whole point of it, money to set up the project, and then they are under no legal obligation to provide anyone with anything regards the products.

Oh bother ... NOW I really DO wish I'd thought of it !!! It's a retirement plan ...

Latest posts

Back