Bees collecting water

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon.21

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Not seen this before so thought it was worth asking the question. Yesterday afternoon and again this morning I’ve noticed a lot of bees out on the grass in front of the hives. Appear to be collecting water from the dew on the grass. There normal water source they visit is about 30m away so are they are just taking the opportunity of closer water available / need more water as they are breaking into stores so need more water to help dilute the honey ?

Attachments

• IMG_0427.MOV
    49.9 MB
Mine are also focused on water collection this morning. At this time of year there is a lot of brood rearing going on, which requires a lot of water. I don't know what your weather has been like in Derby, but down here it's literally been freezing with bouts of sleet and snow and strong winds over the last few days. This has meant that the bees haven't been able to get out much, so they are making the most of it today in calmer weather.
You will probably find that the grass in front of your hives is in the sunshine. My bees will change their preferred water source throughout the day as the sun moves - first thing in the morning it's the pots of seedlings on the patio that get the first sun, then as the sun hits the mossy verges of the pond that becomes their target, and finally in the afternoon they favour the 'beebath' (a water bath full of pebbles, specifically for the bees).
This focus on water collection usually lasts for a good 2-3 weeks at this time of year and then fades in favour of more nectar collection.

Mine are also focused on water collection this morning. At this time of year there is a lot of brood rearing going on, which requires a lot of water. I don't know what your weather has been like in Derby, but down here it's literally been freezing with bouts of sleet and snow and strong winds over the last few days. This has meant that the bees haven't been able to get out much, so they are making the most of it today in calmer weather.
You will probably find that the grass in front of your hives is in the sunshine. My bees will change their preferred water source throughout the day as the sun moves - first thing in the morning it's the pots of seedlings on the patio that get the first sun, then as the sun hits the mossy verges of the pond that becomes their target, and finally in the afternoon they favour the 'beebath' (a water bath full of pebbles, specifically for the bees).
This focus on water collection usually lasts for a good 2-3 weeks at this time of year and then fades in favour of more nectar collection.
Makes sense thanks. Yes here in Derby last few days have been the same poor weather.

Not seen this before so thought it was worth asking the question. Yesterday afternoon and again this morning I’ve noticed a lot of bees out on the grass in front of the hives. Appear to be collecting water from the dew on the grass. There normal water source they visit is about 30m away so are they are just taking the opportunity of closer water available / need more water as they are breaking into stores so need more water to help dilute the honey ?
I took a similar picture a couple of years ago. it won a prize at the local Horticultural Soc. (there were very few entries) :laughing-smiley-014
1648894026221.jpeg

My lawn was covered in bees this morning collecting the dew and later in the newly planted hanging baskets just after they were watered.

Bees make larva milk from pollen and sugar , and they need lots of water in it. I do not know, how much they use water to dilute dugar crystals

Bees make larva milk from pollen and sugar , and they need lots of water in it. I do not know, how much they use water to dilute dugar crystals

They don’t need to dilute honey during the winter, so it’s only needed for brooding.

I expect that water was simply collected in a more amenable position - less cold due to direct sunshine. Next time, check whether the bees are in the sunshine or collecting in the shade. You will likely be surprised because you hadn’t considered it previously.

Bees don’t waste energy, unnecessarily.

Latest posts

Back