Problem with (I think) mining bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CompleteNovice

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello, everyone. As my username indicates, I know absolutely nothing about bees, but I need some advice, please.

Just after that spell of really hot weather we had in early September, I started noticing a load of small bees flying around our, well, I won't dignify it with the word lawn, but patch of grass in the front garden, just above grass height. Since they wouldn't stay still:), it was a bit difficult to tell for sure, but I think they had fairly russet-y "fur" (assuming that's what bees have). Our next-door neighbour doesn't have grass, and doesn't have them, but the neighbour two doors down has a lawn, and does. The numbers increased from an estimated 100 to 150-200, which on a patch of lawn of maybe 10 square metres is rather a lot! They seem to like our garden in particular in the morning once the sun has got onto the grass, and I think they may move down the road later in the day when the other garden is sunnier, as we seem to have fewer of them in the afternoon.

They're usually pretty innocuous, but in recent days they've started getting a bit more active, occasionally flying around at window height and bumping into the windows, so we have to keep them shut, which is a bit annoying. I also suspect they've got a bit bigger. And in the last couple of days we've definitely noticed soft patches of dug-up earth in the grass and flowerbeds, rather like when you have an ants' nest underneath, but with added tunnels. I guess this is why they call them mining bees!

We've only recently moved in here, so have no idea about past history, and whether they've only appeared this summer or are well established. Are these youngsters which have recently emerged? Their behaviour seems to suggest that they might be, even if the timing seems odd to this amateur. Did the hot weather provoke something, in the way that flying ants suddenly decide to swarm? So, my question is really what can we expect over the coming weeks and months? Are they going to stay around? Do they hibernate, die off over the winter, or what? What on earth is happening underneath the front lawn?(!) We had been thinking of putting a flowerbed in the middle of the grass patch, but will we be disturbing them if we do and/or would there be an optimum time of year to do it? I understand the other neighbour who has them is planning to replace his front garden with hard standing for a car, which would obviously be very disruptive.

I'd welcome your thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. These are indeed mining bees and they are quite likely to be Ivy Bees.
What you saw first was the emergence of the bees that were made this time last year. The surge in activity is down to the drones (males) dancing around hunting females to mate with. Generally the males emerge first, have time to fly and feed, and are followed by the females. that's why there is so much activity. The boys will do their job and disappear leaving the females to tend their individual nest before they too disappear, leaving eggs and grubs for next year.

Males don't sting and females only if you pick one up in your hand and squeeze it. Even then you're likely to feel less than a nettle sting.

They will all be gone by November. I hope you can enjoy the spectacle.

Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 06.50.01.png

Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 06.50.34.png

If you put a flower bed where they are you will obviously destroy the nests but some may survive hopefully. As far as your neighbour goes there are better ways than concrete to provide car parking. I hope he considers something more friendly and less destructive. There is a plethora of permeable solutions

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hello, everyone. As my username indicates, I know absolutely nothing about bees, but I need some advice, please.

Just after that spell of really hot weather we had in early September, I started noticing a load of small bees flying around our, well, I won't dignify it with the word lawn, but patch of grass in the front garden, just above grass height. Since they wouldn't stay still:), it was a bit difficult to tell for sure, but I think they had fairly russet-y "fur" (assuming that's what bees have). Our next-door neighbour doesn't have grass, and doesn't have them, but the neighbour two doors down has a lawn, and does. The numbers increased from an estimated 100 to 150-200, which on a patch of lawn of maybe 10 square metres is rather a lot! They seem to like our garden in particular in the morning once the sun has got onto the grass, and I think they may move down the road later in the day when the other garden is sunnier, as we seem to have fewer of them in the afternoon.

They're usually pretty innocuous, but in recent days they've started getting a bit more active, occasionally flying around at window height and bumping into the windows, so we have to keep them shut, which is a bit annoying. I also suspect they've got a bit bigger. And in the last couple of days we've definitely noticed soft patches of dug-up earth in the grass and flowerbeds, rather like when you have an ants' nest underneath, but with added tunnels. I guess this is why they call them mining bees!

We've only recently moved in here, so have no idea about past history, and whether they've only appeared this summer or are well established. Are these youngsters which have recently emerged? Their behaviour seems to suggest that they might be, even if the timing seems odd to this amateur. Did the hot weather provoke something, in the way that flying ants suddenly decide to swarm? So, my question is really what can we expect over the coming weeks and months? Are they going to stay around? Do they hibernate, die off over the winter, or what? What on earth is happening underneath the front lawn?(!) We had been thinking of putting a flowerbed in the middle of the grass patch, but will we be disturbing them if we do and/or would there be an optimum time of year to do it? I understand the other neighbour who has them is planning to replace his front garden with hard standing for a car, which would obviously be very disruptive.

I'd welcome your thoughts on the matter.
Rather than moving down the road to your neighbours I'd think your neighbour has his/her own colonies and the sun warms the ground which encourages the bees to come outside to play. There are other "varieties" of mining bees and I have a friend whose gable wall (old house) had extensive tunneling in the lime mortar to the extent bees occasionally came down the chimney into a room behind. Also a sandy bank where picnickers sat at an "animal farm" near Hornsea was occupied by mining bees. The bees could be watched coming and going from their tiny burrows amongst the picnickers with neither bees nor picknickers taking notice of the others.

Thank you very much to everyone who's replied. They might well be ivy mining bees, then, although there's no ivy in the immediate vicinity - there is (the sort with the less well-defined leaves) a few hundred yards down the road, and that has bees on it, but I'm not sure whether they are the same or not. Good to know they won't be a permanent fixture, because I've had to put the windowcleaner off twice already because there were so many I was afraid he'd tread on them, or their nests!

As for the neighbour, I guess whoever he gets to put down the parking will tell him what's legally permitted and what isn't. I don't suppose the bees can be encouraged to go elsewhere, can they? :)

whoever he gets to put down the parking will tell him what's legally permitted and what isn't
No, they won't have a clue and will likely decline the work while bees are there.

There is no law that protects any UK bee but insecticides to terminate nests were withdrawn from lawful use several years ago. In any case, pest controllers will almost certainly decline to touch bees and will suggest contacting a beekeeper.

bees can be encouraged to go elsewhere
No.

Once again, thanks very much, everybody. The numbers have definitely decreased quite significantly now: from what Erichalfbee says above, I'm guessing the males have moved on and the females will be following soon. Would anyone know how deep these tunnels tend to go? There's an awful lot of excavated earth, and I'll need to at least strim the grass before the winter, if not actually mow it (it'll be terribly bumpy by now!). I don't want to disturb any bees that may still be down there and/or fill in their tunnels if they're still using them.

I now understand why the previous occupant of the property blocked up the air bricks at the front of the house - so the bees couldn't get in. I'll have to find some way of unblocking them but making them inaccessible to bees, because it's not healthy to have the air bricks blocked up. I don't know whether anyone has ever had to do that?

Last edited:
making them inaccessible to bees
Fine mesh (3mm) will do the job but fitting it permanently may be a problem.

The previous owner may have blocked the vents because of bees or wasps, or because the cavity walls were filled with insulation. Better check before opening them up.

need to at least strim the grass
The British have for too many years cultivated an obsession for neat grass & polished lawns, a habit that is now seen to be environmentally negative. No harm in letting your grass grow a while longer, and great benefit if you were to convert the lawn into a wildflower meadow.

Last edited:
Suspended ground floor wooden joists will need air flow to prevent wet rot ocurring , so unblocked air vents are crucial for the free flow of air circulation .

Suspended ground floor wooden joists will need air flow to prevent wet rot ocurring , so unblocked air vents are crucial for the free flow of air circulation .
I agree and if they were blocked when you bought the house this is something your building surveyor should have pointed our.

Was asked to look at a bees nest on Monday. SWBO had taken the call and pointed out that it is
a) probably too late for bumble bees,
b)rarely do we have honey bee nests in the ground
c) most likely wasps.
All my gear on I turned up at an elderly customers house.
They were bees! Mining bees were going in and out of a series of holes in the lawn and the flower bed.
Lovely little creatures. The lady said they come each year.
In a nearby village there is a similar colony that I have been called out to sveral times over the years. It is in the village park.

Fine mesh (3mm) will do the job but fitting it permanently may be a problem.

The previous owner may have blocked the vents because of bees or wasps, or because the cavity walls were filled with insulation. Better check before opening them up.

The British have for too many years cultivated an obsession for neat grass & polished lawns, a habit that is now seen to be environmentally negative. No harm in letting your grass grow a while longer, and great benefit if you were to convert the lawn into a wildflower meadow.
Not only the British. HOAs in the States can get quite anal about it.

I agree and if they were blocked when you bought the house this is something your building surveyor should have pointed our.
He did, don't worry, which is why I was looking at unblocking them. 3 mm mesh ought to do nicely, if I can find some.

Sad to say, though, the neighbour has had work start on his driveway - the men came along with a mechanical digger, dug up the garden and have put what looks like a cement-y sort of base down. No way the bees will have survived that, I fear, unless they tunnel a lot further down than I'd assumed? :(

Still trying to be a beekeeper, learning as I go from courses and other beekeepers regarding Newbeeneil's search for mesh try the Ebay site of the Mesh Company they sell in small quantities just bought 2 sheets
15 cm x 15 cm 1/8 inch mesh to make robber screens cost £7 Pity about the miner bees we just leave ours alone not to mention the leaf cutters & the bumble nest...."wildlife on one" is us

Returning to this subject, I'm wondering whether the bees will actually have survived all the weeks of wet weather we've had since then. Will they have drowned in their burrows, do you think, or are they sufficiently water-resistant?

Back