Weak hive not feeding and worried

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having UFEs, I have always vaped from under the OMF with no issues, I have two stainless steel plates that slide in where some people insert inspection trays, insert the loaded varrox and fill the gap at the back (you don't have to be precise or anal about it) with a piece of foam, connect the varrox to your battery for 2.5 minutes, disconnect and leave for a further two and a half minutes, the crystals will keep sublimating for ages after you disconnect the pan.
I never bother closing the entrance up - no point really, and I do it at whatever time of day is convenient for me.

You ought not to delegate PPE choice but satisfy yourself that you've got it right. Use the link given by Dani and those I gave here at post 49.
Thanks for your advice. I have read the pages you suggest but I am still uncertain that I have the correct filters. Do I need 2 types of filters? I seem to have the correct gas filter 6059 ABEK1 as far as I can understand, but I haven't got a particulate filter. Do I need one, and can I fit it to my mask at the same time? Or is there a filter which combines both? I don't want to start until I feel safe.

You can get separate particulate filters, they fit on the other filter with an adapter clip, you need P3 specification. The A1 spec of your other filters should be adequate as it covers organic vapour.

Ok I’m not as experienced as some who have commented here but I’d definitely want a bee inspector to have a look at that. I see many sunken cells, a slightly off white twisted larvae, what looks like a melted brood on the bottom of the cell and lots of holes in cappings, I don’t think it’s worth the risk not getting it checked.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpeg
    IMG_0505.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0504.jpeg
    IMG_0504.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0503.jpeg
    IMG_0503.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0501.jpeg
    IMG_0501.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0500.jpeg
    IMG_0500.jpeg
  • IMG_0499.jpeg
    IMG_0499.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0498.jpeg
    IMG_0498.jpeg
  • IMG_0497.jpeg
    IMG_0497.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0496.jpeg
    IMG_0496.jpeg
    957.2 KB · Views: 0
Yes, as Steve described, you need a P filter to clip to your A filter.

Bear in mind that the A filter is critical, so if you haven't bought it yet, get a 2 or 3 grade.
I'm not advocating a cavalier attitude towards sublimating OA - OA is not very nice and you really do not want to get a whiff of it as it will render a coughing fit like you have never previously experienced. However, common sense needs to prevail. You are in the open air, the pan evaporator is under the hive and there should not be clouds of the stuff outside the hive. With a half decent mask, eye protection and a degree of common sense it is a perfectly safe treatment. Don'r be tempted to stick your nose into a cloud of OA to see what happens ... been there and done that - trust me, you won't do it again !

Bear in mind, also, that OA is an acid and if it gets wet it's a liquid acid and whils it is not very strong acid it will bleach clothing and can irritate your skin.

I'm not advocating a cavalier attitude towards sublimating OA - OA is not very nice and you really do not want to get a whiff of it as it will render a coughing fit like you have never previously experienced. However, common sense needs to prevail. You are in the open air, the pan evaporator is under the hive and there should not be clouds of the stuff outside the hive. With a half decent mask, eye protection and a degree of common sense it is a perfectly safe treatment. Don'r be tempted to stick your nose into a cloud of OA to see what happens ... been there and done that - trust me, you won't do it again !

Bear in mind, also, that OA is an acid and if it gets wet it's a liquid acid and whils it is not very strong acid it will bleach clothing and can irritate your skin.
I agree. Just make sure you stand down wind if you want to slip your mask off for a breather!

I have my budget sublimator and som OA... but have been too much of a wimp to try it out, I do need to buy one of those car battery jump start things (to save karting a car battery around). Maybe one day i will find a local beek who uses this technique so I can watch / help to give me the confidence to go it alone!!

Go for it Niv. I have used a pan type, from the top, using modified crown board for 10+ years. Not used Ppe but used a good dose of common sense . Never inhaled OA yet. Use PPE as you wish

I have my budget sublimator and som OA... but have been too much of a wimp to try it out, I do need to buy one of those car battery jump start things (to save karting a car battery around). Maybe one day i will find a local beek who uses this technique so I can watch / help to give me the confidence to go it alone!!
Niv, are you on the Somerset levels? Or am I thinking of someone else ? Your location on your info would help. If you are then let me know and I will give you a run through on the oa pan

Look on freecycle for one of those four wheeled shopping trolleys you see old folks pushing around, Remove the shopping bag and you have the ideal vehicle for lugging a car battery around. Couple of hive straps to keep the battery in place - job's a good 'un.

I can't see the need for a vapour filter - if you are inhaling gases hot enough for OA to still be in the vapour phase you have a whole bunch of different problems!
I use a pp3 mask against fine particulates and stay out of the way of visible particle cloud. Eye protection is probably a good idea too but staying out of the way is the most effective thing.

I can't see the need for a vapour filter - if you are inhaling gases hot enough for OA to still be in the vapour phase you have a whole bunch of different problems!
I use a pp3 mask against fine particulates and stay out of the way of visible particle cloud. Eye protection is probably a good idea too but staying out of the way is the most effective thing.
I tend to agree but what is interesting is that the manufacturer of Api-bioxal only recommends a PP2 filter in their MSDS, attached.

Attachments

• Api-Bioxal.pdf
    243.9 KB · Views: 0
Niv, are you on the Somerset levels? Or am I thinking of someone else ? Your location on your info would help. If you are then let me know and I will give you a run through on the oa pan
Hi enrico, yes I am on the Somerset Levels - I swear I had it in my profile once upon a time so don't know why that's disappeared! I will happily shadow you when you are next doing some vaping so please do give me a shout - Many thanks for the offer.

Look on freecycle for one of those four wheeled shopping trolleys you see old folks pushing around, Remove the shopping bag and you have the ideal vehicle for lugging a car battery around. Couple of hive straps to keep the battery in place - job's a good 'un.

I dont know how many hives you have or for that matter how many they will do but a good motorcycle battery is much cheaper to buy and far lighter to carry around...
K ;)

Latest posts

Back