What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is still selection, not evolution.

The two are different,

Evolution creates a new species which would no longer be capable of breeding with the original species but well.... whatever!

I am not arguing with you specifically but it regularly gets stated on here that we are seeing our bees “evolve” we are not.

We are just selecting from traits that are already there. The species can revert back if the section pressure is reversed or removed therefore it is not evolution.

I’m leaving it there as there are too many people arguing that they are being attacked for there “beliefs” when they are using terminology that is just wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

New traits may be evolving and existing traits modified by the high spontaneous genetic recombinations rate and epigenetic environmental influences of the honey bee.

Off to bang my head against a wall. I may see you all next year.

....and yes I know it is January.

Off to bang my head against a wall. I may see you all next year.

....and yes I know it is January.

Colinc, where are you getting your evolution definitions from?
I'm basing mine on current gcse and A level. Examples of evolution that are cited include peppered moths (flaws of the study not looked at), warfarin resistance in rats, MRSA- antibiotic resistance. All of these are changes within a species and don't lead to new species. If the selection pressure is removed, then the trait may not persist if there is a 'cost' in retaining it and an advantage in not having it.
For speciation, Darwin's finches on the Galapagos islands are the favoured example. As you state, speciation is very unlikely to be observed within a human lifetime as it's a lengthy process.
IIRC speciation is a recent addition to the syllabus at GCSE (always there at A level, both sympatric and allopatric) that has come in in the last 5-10 years.

BTW I think i'm relatively local to you - apiaries in Salford Priors/Harvington area. Not quite on the Steve Browning level though (yet!).

Colinc, where are you getting your evolution definitions from?

I'm basing mine on current gcse and A level. Examples of evolution that are cited include peppered moths (flaws of the study not looked at), warfarin resistance in rats, MRSA- antibiotic resistance. All of these are changes within a species and don't lead to new species. If the selection pressure is removed, then the trait may not persist if there is a 'cost' in retaining it and an advantage in not having it.

For speciation, Darwin's finches on the Galapagos islands are the favoured example. As you state, speciation is very unlikely to be observed within a human lifetime as it's a lengthy process.

IIRC speciation is a recent addition to the syllabus at GCSE (always there at A level, both sympatric and allopatric) that has come in in the last 5-10 years.

BTW I think i'm relatively local to you - apiaries in Salford Priors/Harvington area. Not quite on the Steve Browning level though (yet!).

79481a20a5e1132525b298219ed5c173.jpg

Evolution is the long term result of persistent selection. and is not reversible readily. It happens as you say when populations become isolated through geography or predation or disease or gradual environmental change. If the change happens suddenly you get selection from the current genetic pool.

Drastic evolutionary leaps do happen at a genetic level but these usually result in cancer or death and are unlikely to give the coincidence of an advantage that is significant enough to lead to evolution.

The peppered moths example is selection not evolution. Black moths were selected they have always occurred at low level and are predated readily in certain environment. Where I live I never see black varieties the species hasn’t evolved it has been selected.

I maintain that the changes seen in our bees is breeding and selection for traits that are there in low occurrences in the population.

Checked the full hives after the second Vap and three have no mites dropping after 5 days but three have around 20ish so i gassed them for a third time and hopefully the last time till Autumn time..

Did my first vap this week, I drilled holes in all the floors last year to make the job easier.

They are bringing pollen in, good girls.

I am away some 600km.. All around snow is falling a lot and so far where I am it is cold but sunny and dry without snow. Micro-climate significance which amaze me.. Once all around were severe floods, and at this place dry as in a desert.. Nature is amazing..

Hefted hives - still good and heavy. A quick peak through the crown board centre and bees cuddling up nicely. Found one dead drone with possible mite under tail. Both probably died of starvation as the bee abdomen was empty.

Days are getting colder, nights too. Fingers crossed the Beast from the East stays in Germany this Spring.

Best wishes to all members and their bees for the coming year.

Checked mite drop after recent vape session.
Two hives less than a dozen, one hive (a swarm captured in June) fifty or so.
Vaped all three for hopefully the last time this Winter.
Temperature just above freezing and the "swarm colony" were quite active with bees flying.:hairpull:

Early i know but i had to go serve my lady friend so i decided to check the inspection tray's afterwards while i was there..all is looking good thank the lord after a few battles last year i seem to have fettled the varroa..5C today and all hives where flying..

Vaped 4 of my hives and will continue tomorrow. All fondant had been eaten and replenished today also.

Helped a good friend with heavy mite drop, vape the hives again. Will continue to count and vape until numbers drop significantly.

2 hives have now been vaped 3 times over the last couple of weeks and stil 40+ mite drop. Will blast them again tomorrow. 3rd hive only dropped 4 in a week.
All hives still seem strong

Went round all hives today good job I took fondant there really starting to use it now ,I noticed that on one colony there only looks like 2 frames of stores left but are covering 4 frames this is my smallest colony.
Spent the rest of the afternoon at home putting 15 six frame cedar nuc boxes together and gave a lick of paint, I've 10 brood boxes next and God nows how many frames to make up. Let alone home made floors out of Douglas fir .
I'm going to leave the supers untill I need them as I'm running out of space in the bee shed .
You can't beat the smell of new hives lovely.

Finished the vaping for now and replenished with fondant. All hives confirmed proof of life so all is good with the world, at least for now anyway.

Picked up one hive that had been knocked off its stand by sheep, quickly opened up to have a look at them, very strong, 9 seams of bees. Tied down and will not knocked off again.

Hi Bees flying well in the sun although distinctly chilly, think my lot at home are already on the hazel catkins and some winter heather as a couple of different colour pollens going in. Even on the smallest nuc....

Checked all hives today.

Woodpecker netting off and fondant checked. The two hives that I thought were light last time have been taking fondant but have some left. The others don’t seem to have taken any. Pleased to see (through clear crown boards) that the clusters in all hives were directly under the fondant hole in the board.

One hive seemed a bit low on numbers, 4 or maybe 5 seems. This was one with a very late supersedure so I guess it’s just a case of keeping fingers crossed.

Oh please can it be spring soon?

Oh please can it be spring soon?

crazy isn't it, toward the end of the season I feel exhausted and looking forward to a break over winter, January arrives and I'm itching to get going again

xmas giving:xmas-smiley-010::toetap05:

Latest posts

Back