What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made five polycarbonate crownboards.

Constructed a new prototype floor. Standard Kewl/JBM etc floor but with a mostly solid floor and only a small patch of mesh that matches the position of my vapourisor. I'm increasingly far from convinced of the benefits of fully OMFs so I'll trial 5 new style floors and see how they get on.

Been a busy boy this bank holiday. After inspiration from gilberdyke john's trolley thread I converted an old wheelbarrow into beebarrow - which has been a success so far.
Converted the underside of one of my benches in the bee shed into a warming cabinet using expanded foam and ply. Wired up with an oil filled radiator and fan controlled by an stc1000 it's all working beautifully. I even installed a pair of heavy duty drawer sliders to make loading/unloading much easier

Dimensioned the top and bottom bars for some 14x12 national brood boxes, I have been following a thread a FB forum regarding queen rearing. Someone on there uses a 14x12 BB with a 6 frame extension separated by a vertical QE for rearing queens. I have decided to make one and give it a go next season.

I'm in process of building frames for square Dadant hives. I use 32 mm end bars which means I have to make my own given that no manufacturer cuts them that size. I finished cutting 280 top bars as of Tuesday and yesterday and today cut and drilled end bars. I have 380 complete. Tomorrow will get some bottom bars cut, then maybe assemble a hundred or so complete frames.

Mt objective is to have at least 530 frames built and ready for the bees by spring. I use 14 frames in each hive body plus have committed to making 111 frames for another beekeeper. I already have about 250 frames built and on the bees.

Continued work on a bee hotel for mason (and other) bumbles.

B.. cold.. PU glue took all pm to set.

I finally got around to cutting the parts for three off five frame nucs from an 8 x 4 sheet of exterior ply. I'm also making a bee vac for cut-outs & swarm collection.

I have loads of boxes to make, along with hive stands, new OMF bases, crown boards (I'm thinking of doing some in acrylic too) a couple of new roofs and too many frames ;) - thank heck for my new nail gun lol.

Plenty to keep me busy over the winter.

Attachments

• 20161208_152709.jpg
    20161208_152709.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Nuc-Parts.jpg
    Nuc-Parts.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 32
I finally got around to cutting the parts for three off five frame nucs from an 8 x 4 sheet of exterior ply. I'm also making a bee vac for cut-outs & swarm collection.

I have loads of boxes to make, along with hive stands, new OMF bases, crown boards (I'm thinking of doing some in acrylic too) a couple of new roofs and too many frames ;) - thank heck for my new nail gun lol.

Plenty to keep me busy over the winter.
I see you have a park side saw, was that one of the lidl offers. How do you find it?. Do you cut down sheets to smaller bits to make it more manageable. Is the side guide accurate?.
Think my one is same, just haven't got around to using it yet, a year later😞😞😞

a new virtual hive in FreeCAD (national with bottom bee space
15622244_655547804625733_1060086295519887677_n.jpg

I see you have a park side saw, was that one of the lidl offers. How do you find it?. Do you cut down sheets to smaller bits to make it more manageable. Is the side guide accurate?.
Think my one is same, just haven't got around to using it yet, a year later😞😞😞

It was the Lidl offer table saw, so far it's been quite good. The fence isn't really up to much, so until I can sort something more permanent I've been using a saw guide clamp (similar to the one in the pic below).

I got the ply from B&Q (I know, I know ;) ) and had them cut it into four across the width of the board so that a). I could get it home, and b). to make it easier to cut - I don't have the room to set up to cut full sized boards.

It does cut quite accurately, and if you use the right blade, cleanly.

For what it cost, I'm very happy with it.

Attachments

• 71ExZ0y3G9L._SL1500_.jpg
    71ExZ0y3G9L._SL1500_.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 42
It was the Lidl offer table saw, so far it's been quite good. The fence isn't really up to much, so until I can sort something more permanent I've been using a saw guide clamp (similar to the one in the pic below).

I got the ply from B&Q (I know, I know ;) ) and had them cut it into four across the width of the board so that a). I could get it home, and b). to make it easier to cut - I don't have the room to set up to cut full sized boards.

It does cut quite accurately, and if you use the right blade, cleanly.

For what it cost, I'm very happy with it.
Thanks. Looks like jhe job alright, I'll try to pick one of those guides. Are the common enough??
Also, did you keep the plastic guard on???.

Thanks. Looks like jhe job alright, I'll try to pick one of those guides. Are the common enough??
Also, did you keep the plastic guard on???.

The guides are widely available. If by plastic guide you mean the safety cover on the blade, yes I did, I like my fingers on my hands lol

Today ... finished the woodwork on the first of four slatted-rack bottom boards. Dunno if the amount of work involved will be worth it ... still, I'll try anything once.
LJ

Been putting boxes and frames together from big T's sale. The frames seem to have been cut better than last year, all pieces fitting snugly. Last year the bottom rails seemed too thick and I was having to shave some off to get them into the side bar without splitting. Whatever, I think the seconds are good value.

Back