What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 PIR nuc roofs finished and taped. Just need a lick of paint

Today ... finished the woodwork on the first of four slatted-rack bottom boards. Dunno if the amount of work involved will be worth it ... still, I'll try anything once.
LJ

I think they are useful in hot climates. Saves bees bearding as they have somewhere to hang out. Much loved in the USA I gather.

Last edited:
Been putting boxes and frames together from big T's sale. The frames seem to have been cut better than last year, all pieces fitting snugly. Last year the bottom rails seemed too thick and I was having to shave some off to get them into the side bar without splitting. Whatever, I think the seconds are good value.

If you find they split the side bar, give the end a tap with a hammer. Does a decent job and less fiddling.

If the bottom bar seems too thick for the slot, I gently squeeze the end of the bar with a pair of pliers.
I routinely stand the tops of the side bars in some water for a couple of minutes. It is supposed to help to stop the side bar top from splitting.

Or you could just leave the box of frame parts on the lawn overnight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Planed and jointed enough cedar for twenty seven inch roofs.
Planed walls and side bars for another ten broods.got to joint them now.
Making another fifteen floors and 20 stands and then I will have run out of cedar again.it should keep me busy on my days off for a few weeks yet until the new season kicks off again then I wont have the time to do anything else

Planed enough timber for four 14X12 brood boxes. Routered the cut out in the rails and cut the laps for joining the sides of the brood boxes. Glued the planks together and clamped the lot. Tomorrow I will assemble them.

If you find they split the side bar, give the end a tap with a hammer. Does a decent job and less fiddling.

Or ... as you're probably already holding a hammer, give them a quick tap with the hammer against a solid surface.

Been building a warming cabinet. Managed to get some 150mm cellotex for a tenner a sheet so nearly finished. Lets hope its a good season with lots of honey.

Painted# 2 x super and one jumbo brood box (extended from a deep ) seconds ex Thrones.

# sadolin quick drying woodstain sale clearance. 750ml redwood £8.99 ebay

Assembled 11 jumbo frames and wired them : yes the bottom bars fit better than last year..

Started to build a winter wax extractor (to complement the solar extractor) using a hot air gun. Box structure now half-built - then spent half-hour modifying an old B&D gun so that it's fan runs continuously, but the element (and therefore heat output) can be thermostatically regulated.
LJ

Started to build a winter wax extractor (to complement the solar extractor) using a hot air gun. Box structure now half-built - then spent half-hour modifying an old B&D gun so that it's fan runs continuously, but the element (and therefore heat output) can be thermostatically regulated.

LJ

I find the steam generator of a wallpaper stripper the ideal heat source for a wax extractor !
20 mins deals with a brood box full of frames

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find the steam generator of a wallpaper stripper the ideal heat source for a wax extractor !
20 mins deals with a brood box full of frames

Tried exactly that - not impressed. There'll be no faffing about with this new one - a fully self-contained 'dry-heat' unit. Only for winter use, mind. Spend the last few days ripping-up pallet planks into battens to make 50 or so disposable carry-home nuc boxes.

Today - started to convert the top half of a 19-frame Long Hive which has been collecting dust for far too long into an experimental multiple mating-nuc box. Still debating whether to configure it as 2x 4 & 2x 5 - or 6x 3-frame. Decisions, decisions.
LJ

How come you seem to have a endless supply of pallets lol, very handy though. I find them a right pain to split up in the past, give up with them in the end. Well done though for making good use of them, just wish I could get my son to split them for me...Hmm :-/

How come you seem to have a endless supply of pallets lol, very handy though.

It's a consequence of living in an agri-business area with it's industrialised farming techniques. Road haulage and the pallet industry are essential components of that. :(
But - the pallet yards don't want seriously busted pallets, and they don't want non-'Euro-sized-pallets' - that's where scroungers like me come into the equation ... :)

I can normally clear two or three hundred pallets from my local yard in a couple of days - as it's less than 2 miles from here. But - the downside of living in this immediate area is that you can forget about a worthwhile honey crop.
LJ

There's the odd pallet about here just fields and gardens really, oh and beaches lol

Back