What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on a floor for a National Twinstock-type brood box which I've divided into 2 x 5 frame nucs including underfloor entrances and open mesh and varroa tray. Using wood rescued from a Nov 5th bonfire (extra brownie points?!)
Making it up as you go along. Would have been easier to make 2 new boxes.
. . . . Ben

Working on a steam extractor (well I had a wall paper stripper going unused and plenty of pallet wood)

My woodworking skills aren't all they might be. Was thinking about sealing joints in pallet wood with bathroom sealant. Will that take the heat?

Working on a steam extractor (well I had a wall paper stripper going unused and plenty of pallet wood)

My woodworking skills aren't all they might be. Was thinking about sealing joints in pallet wood with bathroom sealant. Will that take the heat?

Yes, the silicone sealant itself will handle the temperature, but there's a possibility it might release it's grip on the wood as the wood heats, cools, expands, contracts, dries out.

Thanks guys - good thought and good idea.

One of the problems you may come up against is the effect of steam on pallet wood, which causes it to curl/ twist/ bend. Dry heat (from a hot air gun) shouldn't do this - fingers crossed - which is one reason why I'm trying this method.

But - good luck.
LJ

Thanks LJ - I did worry about the quality of the wood but budget dictates. I've gone for a reasonably tight fitting roof and warping may mean I can't get it off again. I'll grease up the touching faces with vaseline before testing and if it does twist up I'll have a reasonable shot at getting it apart again for a rethink. The floor won't get as hot and the aluminium lining will stop it getting as wet . Time will tell - thanks for the input.

Mystery object

Made this last weekend and now part of my beekeeping equipment, anyone go an idea what I use it for

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 32
A shroud for flaming the inside of boxes ?
Or - for using a smoker in windy weather ?
LJ

Last edited:
Thanks LJ - I did worry about the quality of the wood but budget dictates.

I understand that ! Have you checked the prices of timber in the High Street 'sheds' lately ... it's the stuff heart-attacks are made of.

I forgot to mention - the thickness of the wood is relevant. I made my 'steamer' from fairly thin wood (12-15mm) - I'm pretty confident that if I'd used 22-25mm it would not have warped, or at least not as badly as it did.
LJ

Thanks LJ - I did worry about the quality of the wood but budget dictates. I've gone for a reasonably tight fitting roof and warping may mean I can't get it off again. I'll grease up the touching faces with vaseline before testing and if it does twist up I'll have a reasonable shot at getting it apart again for a rethink. The floor won't get as hot and the aluminium lining will stop it getting as wet . Time will tell - thanks for the input.

Candle or beeswax is better than vaseline: far less messy and does not sink into wood. (Or a dry silicone spray as sold by car accessory shops)

A shroud for flaming the inside of boxes ?
Or - for using a smoker in windy weather ?
LJ

close, it goes on the end of an electric heat gun to melt the holes on the lids of takeaway food containers. it takes one second to make the hole.

close, it goes on the end of an electric heat gun to melt the holes on the lids of takeaway food containers. it takes one second to make the hole.

Excellent - what a good idea ! Up until now I've been using a tin can with a serrated edge to cut holes in sheets of expanded polystyrene - but it's a slow method, and more importantly, it's bl##dy messy with countless crumbs of the stuff wafting about afterwards. Such a cutter might be just what I need ...

Nice one.
LJ

Started putting my DIY nucs together, I cut the timber ages ago, but have just got around to bashing them together.

Attachments

• 16804501_10212403162776647_217898921155823630_o.jpg
    16804501_10212403162776647_217898921155823630_o.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 36
Finished cutting on my first attempt at bunch of national broods, roofs and nucs, still got a few floors to do all from scrap cedar scounged from a house build. Seems to be enough for another 40 double brood hives still left over, but it'll be commercials from now on just because they're easier to make and I get to keep the same footprint. The box in the pic hasn't been mailed/glued yet but went together real tight, better than anything I've bought before so I'm chuffed.

IMG_20170217_114243.jpg

IMG_20170217_114320.jpg

IMG_20170126_105051.jpg

IMG_20170217_114520.jpg

Think I need to learn how to post pics.

Nice man cave...

Nice man cave...
Cheers, it's getting there. Needs a damn good clean after all the routing I've been doing. It's the only thing that I don't have dust extraction on.

Latest posts

Back