What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a floor for a Lang nuc..(scrap wood).

Finished making a frame making jig (more scrap wood).
Rebuilt an old cupboard to hold assembled frames.

(All done with the aid of my 1979 Workmate: just had two new plywood jaws made from local timber yard's scrap wood £5.. good for another 40 years - not me of course, I'll be collecting the Queen's (or will it be the King's?) telegrams.)
:sunning:

Will try my best to put something together Itma. I'll measure the frames as well. Give me a day or so.

The frames are related to the Dadant (Blatt - not US Dadant) super.
That normally takes frames that are 470x159mm.
The Mini-Plus frames are 251x159mm and I interpret their comb area as being 200x140.
Hence I now think that the idea is that foundation can be cut in half - and NOT that a "twinstock" can be made out of a Dadant super ...

Thanks - it'd be nice to pull together the stuff on this intriguing hive.
http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...ann-shop.de/index.php/cPath/1_157&prev=search

All done with the aid of my 1979 Workmate
Aren't they great - when we were kids we bought one for my father (a master carpenter) when they first came out - my mother had to scour the area to find one, we finally had to go to Woolworth's in Morriston and it cost nigh on fifty quid if I remember ( more than a weeks wages for a carpenter on the buildings) - he loved it, took it everywhere and gave it some serious use - was good as a hopup when working on ceilings etc as well (remember arguing with him who would have the bench and who would have the rickety trestle when fitting a cedarwood ceiling to a posh house locally (more or less his last 'prestige' job) and it meant he could do fiddly and intricate jobs on site instead of taking them home to work on.
After he died it came to me (a fifteen year old) and gave me great service over the years but unfortunately back in the late nineties, working on my own house one of the cast aluminium main frames sheared and I said a sad goodbye.
Then some four years ago was scouring ebay and saw one for sale 'buyer collect' in Orpington, I happened to be working from Gravesend at the time and was travelling home as the auction ended - cost me twenty quid.
Couldn't do without it now, takes pride of place in the chamber of secrets

I still got my 1983 model

I've still got my original aluminium one with the leg extensions to bring it up a bit in height but it's more or less in retirement now as it's nigh on 40 years old - it cost me £39.99 in Woolworths just after we went decimal - I know because I worked for them in those days and it was MORE than a week's pay !

I have one of the first pressed steel ones that followed on from the aluminium framed one that I still use ... it's not as good as the old aluminium one but it's a lot better than the ones they sell these days which are clearly built down to a price.

I can still remember going to get the one I still have 35 years ago.

last christmas i got given a all singing and dancing new one that twisted left and right and went up and down, then broke it within a month, so now back to using my 1976 one,

it is covered in paint splats and saw marks but it is simple and it WORKS

last christmas i got given a all singing and dancing new one that twisted left and right and went up and down, then broke it within a month, so now back to using my 1976 one,

it is covered in paint splats and saw marks but it is simple and it WORKS

I tried a new one for a day (from Screwfix on offer). Handles broke that day. Full refund next day

Unfortunately that's what we have to put up with these days, cheaply made imports.

Started painting 30 newly assembled supers with Green Cuprinol ducks back.
Whilst waiting for them to dry I started making up some ply nuc boxes, all to the sounds of Paul Weller and the Style Council echoing around the garage.

Took advantage of my newly acquired table saw and put some beading round a few crown boards. Part built one hive floor (a la JBM) before the lack of light and the cold wind forced me inside.

Bought the wood to make another 5 of JBM's floors

Spent some time in the chamber of secrets - cut the timber and started putting together ten new underfloor OMF's noticed someone had broken in and dumped a pile of T's brood boxes in there - had to tidy it all up in case someone else sneaks in and dumps an even bigger pile of Maisie's supers when I'm up at the convention :D.

I painted the edges of 5 queen excluders red. I find it nice to be able to be see at a distance which hives have excluders on. I also paint clearer boards with green edges.

I painted the edges of 5 queen excluders red. I find it nice to be able to be see at a distance which hives have excluders on. I also paint clearer boards with green edges.

I like that idea
Mind if i copy
not worthy

If you are making new floors make sure you can block the opening that has the varroa tray especially if you are adding insulation or an underfloor entrance. My latest work indicates this could be significant

If you are making new floors make sure you can block the opening that has the varroa tray especially if you are adding insulation or an underfloor entrance. My latest work indicates this could be significant

Are you recreating the 'sump' at the bottom of a tree hive then ? You will need some Stratiolaelaps scimitus as well ...

? If you check my design There is no 'opening' that has the varroa tray apart from the whole OMF - looks like adding insulation is going to do more harm than good - so I'll scrap that idea from now on.
It's all getting rather silly.

Latest posts

Back