What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
einsteinagogo
Where did you get the printer?

Husband and I have been modifying hive floors to take a metal sheet underneath so that I can sublimate oxalic under the OMF from the back.
Just finished the last of five.
Now waiting for a decent cold snap so that the hives can be lifted off the stands which need repair.

Husband and I have been modifying hive floors to take a metal sheet underneath so that I can sublimate oxalic under the OMF from the back.
Now waiting for a decent cold snap so that the hives can be lifted off the stands which need repair.

I went to my Engineering Workshop, with my inspection board, with can you cut me a sheet of metal like this, and it was like the "Spanish Inquisition" , what is was for, temperature, metal type, dimensions, width.... as they did their requirements gathering, and then it turn into a lecture on Honey Bees, Bumblebees, Otters, Mink....I think I was there for 2 hours.... anyway they all seemed to enjoy, and I offered them honey and wax as a trade!

I'm just having my metal sheets fabricated in an Engineering Workshop! I just asked for a metal sheet, and they were going to put flanges, a handle.

We had one 2mm steel we could use but blimey.....it's heavy .
I might look at aluminium. I've found, cut to size, 430mm x 450mm for £4.90. Is that good value?
I need only three :)

We had one 2mm steel we could use but blimey.....it's heavy .
I might look at aluminium. I've found, cut to size, 430mm x 450mm for £4.90. Is that good value?
I need only three :)

No idea to cost, they are fabricating mine out of stainless, and payment is in honey and wax!

Couldn't you do with one and move it from hive to hive? unles you have three sublimators
No, alas. I have three different types of floor, i.e. different sized trays. I know I could have customised all to be the same but it was easier just screwing an eke with a saw cut groove under the floors.

I have similar problem in not all my floors (all undefloor entrances BTW) are uniform - all depended on the available materials - was thinking, if I do go down the line of sublimation of just making one solid floor to fit the apparatus on and just lifting the hive and floor onto it to do the job, two blocks of foam (one for entrance, inserted before moving hive and one for tray slot) and Charlie's your aunt.

No, alas. I have three different types of floor, i.e. different sized trays. I know I could have customised all to be the same but it was easier just screwing an eke with a saw cut groove under the floors.
To sublimate under a polynuc I stood the nuc on a smallish roasting tray. Since it came from the land of pounds I wasn't too bothered about cutting a slot in one end for the handle. In the full size hives I used the entrance but I can see the problem with a different entrance configuration. One possibility would be to cut a roasting tray size hole in a ply board or even a correx one. You wouldn't need a complete tray for each floor type, just a different board with a uniform cut out.

Yes, I've noticed that I've got three different floor types! (time to standardise this year!)

+1, I have made my floor out of scraps of wood so they are all different, I have got wood ready to make a new batch just need to draw a plan and keep to it

Put my new Mini Hives from Germany together, just need to paint them tomorrow. Good value I think.

ef4d101cb7c89769686f5167b20ae094.jpg

26bffbc4a855e6cd1264a926ef29ffd2.jpg

ec2dd7b9e09916d9dbb3eab4b6cb6e00.jpg

81d8f3a48b62282e7d2690188e82bbec.jpg

Put my new Mini Hives from Germany together, just need to paint them tomorrow. Good value I think.

As you've had a few (and now got more), would you be so good as to start a thread specifically on the "Mini-Plus" under "Hive Types"?

New to me, a little searching turned up the suggestion that the frames are half "dadant" size - allowing use in some Dadant box with a central divider. However, knowing the non-standardisation of sizes/names in the Langstroth area ... !

There are a few references scattered on the forum, but it'd be nice to collect the info together ...

I use the correx sheet with a piece of plywood under the vapouriser. Put a small screw through the ply to lift the pan off the wood so it doesn't burn the wood.
The small screw head is below the surface of the ply so it doesn't touch the correx. No problems found yet.

When assembling the floors I put the runners for the correx as low as possible to provide room for the treatment to be done from the back.

Sitting the vapouriser pan directly onto a piece of metal could draw the heat from the pan and stop it working. I hope it doesn't.

Last edited:
As you've had a few (and now got more), would you be so good as to start a thread specifically on the "Mini-Plus" under "Hive Types"?

New to me, a little searching turned up the suggestion that the frames are half "dadant" size - allowing use in some Dadant box with a central divider. However, knowing the non-standardisation of sizes/names in the Langstroth area ... !

There are a few references scattered on the forum, but it'd be nice to collect the info together ...
Will try my best to put something together Itma. I'll measure the frames as well. Give me a day or so.

Sitting the vapouriser pan directly onto a piece of metal could draw the heat from the pan and stop it working. I hope it doesn't.

I never thought of that not worthy .......thanks
The floors are done and I already have three ally sheets. I do have a soldering mat so I will use that underneath.
I might vapourize 3g of oxalic in the open on one of the sheets to see what happens

Latest posts

Back