What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vu2utajy.jpg
made up a 660nm torch from a Cree deep-red LED. Red torches are generAlly 630nm, which also reaches yellow receptors so bees can see it and it looks yellowish to us. The difference is startling, as the attached shows. Phone makes it look purple but believe me it is a beautiful red.

made up a 660nm torch from a Cree deep-red LED. Red torches are generAlly 630nm, which also reaches yellow receptors so bees can see it and it looks yellowish to us. …

Have you had any problems with a 'standard' red?

I haven't, and also know of someone that uses an old (non-LED) bike back light around their bees without trouble.

Nice but not necessary?

I've never found the need to poke around my bees with any kind/colour of light .
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why top up feeders in the dark ?
Twilight if you must !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got distracted by the red light and forgot to mention I have nearly finished making a vaporiser, just need to tap a 12x1.25mm thread when I can find someone with that size tap

This is garden beekeeping and I have trouble in summer with bees mistaking various lights for the sun. Not good for the bees nor me. Having a garden torch that is not a moving "sun" is handy. No-one is proposing ripping apart brood boxes at midnight.

I'll make them up for anyone else who would like one.

Finished making an oxalic acid vaporiser, have not tried it with oxalic acid yet but it boils water within a minute, A big thanks to Rab for the technical stuff.
Only cost me one jar of honey for the aluminium and enough to make a few more if desired.

Finished making an oxalic acid vaporiser, have not tried it with oxalic acid yet but it boils water within a minute, A big thanks to Rab for the technical stuff.
Only cost me one jar of honey for the aluminium and enough to make a few more if desired.

That's a really neat bit of kit ... does the battery just heat up the aluminium or is there an element ? I was pondering over re-using the bottom out of a 12v kettle/mug I've had lurking in the garage for years but yours is so much better ...

Glow plug from a diesel engine, there is someone who made one from a 12v heating element to heat a cup of water, wrapped it around a small section of a copper pipe and blanked the end off, you have got to get the temp around the 160 c mark, above 180c it melts the crystals, the glow plug I used was rated 300 watts, new engines use a lower voltage glow plug for intelligent starting systems so keep well away from them

Latest posts

Back