What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cut two squares of kingspan, for two roofs, need to purchase some more tomorrow, for more roofs.

Getting Ready for winter, and also need to make some kingspan dummy boards, and tape them with aluminium tape.

Made a couple of 50mm eeks today ready for a winter feed, added a middle piece of wood for extra strength.

Made a couple of 50mm eeks today ready for a winter feed, added a middle piece of wood for extra strength.

Which reminds me, I need to make an eek too.
I'm going to try making dovetails - haven't done those since school !

Designed my honey warmer. Will build tomorrow

why the extra piece of wood?

Made a few :eek:'s
Just a thought, next year I won't be making clearing boards with a rim as I can use an :eek: instead.

Made a few :eek:'s
Just a thought, next year I won't be making clearing boards with a rim as I can use an :eek: instead.

Making a few myself today, don't know why but I seem to need more than last year!. Just a thought Redwood - depending on the thickness of the ply you're using without a rim it may warp easier when not used.
just left a crown board out in the sun Thursday in the flurry of super removals it's more than a bit bent so hopefully a night in a vice will cure it - if not i may post it for sale on the BBKA forum as a new patent 'matchless' self venting crown board!1

So back now to making ekes (or is it ikes or yikes or eeks!)

Making a few myself today, don't know why but I seem to need more than last year!. Just a thought Redwood - depending on the thickness of the ply you're using without a rim it may warp easier when not used.
just left a crown board out in the sun Thursday in the flurry of super removals it's more than a bit bent so hopefully a night in a vice will cure it - if not i may post it for sale on the BBKA forum as a new patent 'matchless' self venting crown board!1

So back now to making ekes (or is it ikes or yikes or eeks!)

Leave it on the lawn overnight to get it moist and place it between some supers in the morning to dry.

Being a Wednesday, I used my card-for-very-old-people at B&Q.

Got them to cut up some exterior ply to make 12 more crownboards, because.........

You can never have enough crownboards.

Dusty

Leave it on the lawn overnight to get it moist and place it between some supers in the morning to dry.

I've got some thick 9mm ply feederboards-in-waiting. Which have similarly gone askew before getting any stiffening rim attached.

Is sorting them really that simple? To dry, I'm thinking that most of the supers need to be empty and open, but to flatten the things (even one at a time) is going to need some weight … but though I currently do have some heavyish supers waiting to be scavenged, I don't want to be accidentally 'open feeding' …
Guidance please as I seek to extend my limited skill-set!

Being a Wednesday, I used my card-for-very-old-people at B&Q.

Got them to cut up some exterior ply to make 12 more crownboards …

Recently, I've noticed that they do some 3.6mm exterior ply in strangely sized (1822x600?) sheets which each yield 4x near-enough square 460x455 boards …
And the thinner ply is nowhere near as strongly wilful to warp as the 9mm … while seemingly being fine for clearer boards (and soon-to-be flipped over to become feeder boards with integral eke).

They also sell (for about £8.50) 4mm thick twinwall polycarbonate in car-back-seat-sized sheets that yield 2x National see-through coverboards and 1x Paynes polynuc coverboard. Next Wednesday?

Latest posts

Back