What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
made up a few more crown boards and rhombus clearer boards - would have made more but I'm clean out of rhombii :D

Snap. Only had enough to make another three and they went straight into use. If it stays dry my father will be taking off another batch of supers this morning. He inadvertently managed to show that bees will not make their way back up through a rhombus clearer if it is left on for a week.....

On account of the fact that it was raining this afternoon and yesterday I managed to burn the bottom out of the plastic bakers tray that served as a carry all to the apiary (I know the bottom of smokers are hot - there is the melted plastic on top of one of the compost bins to remind me ... but I forgot).

So I made a box thing to carry my bee stuff the 20 yards to my apiary ... without burning a hole in the bottom of it !

No measuring ... all out of reclaimed materials, pallet wood, tea chest, bit of plank, chrome tube left over from a long dead wardrobe. Made to fit those nice plastic boxes that Wickes screws come in - the ones that have the lid attached with a nice little tag so the lids don't get lost and which really clip shut and Asda freezer boxes which are a mainstay for storing bits and bobs. Needs a coat of varnish to finish it off ... another day !

Only problem - I lost the clip that holds the smoker bellows shut when it's not being used ... it's in the garage somewhere but the gremlins have got it ... very annoying.

Well i was taught that springs should be eased when not being used, so maybe a good thing?

Ahhh yes ... but it looks untidy and doesn't sit where its supposed to sit - over the bit of formica in the bottom of the box ! (Told you it wasn't going to burn through this one) .... and I rather suspect that this Bulgarian Built Bought on eBay smoker will not last long enough for the spring to wear out anyway !

Only problem - I lost the clip that holds the smoker bellows shut when it's not being used ... it's in the garage somewhere but the gremlins have got it ... very annoying.

Mine is attached to the smoker with a piece of flexible wire to prevent loss...

Ahhh yes ... but it looks untidy and doesn't sit where its supposed to sit - over the bit of formica in the bottom of the box ! (Told you it wasn't going to burn through this one) .... and I rather suspect that this Bulgarian Built Bought on eBay smoker will not last long enough for the spring to wear out anyway !

Unless the formulation has changed Formica used to burn quite well. Maybe Aluminium would have been a better choice?

Discovered that using a cedar brood box as a steam box when rendering wax from old combs (20 minutes) caused one side to warp like hell to the point of top joints parting company .
I sash cramped it back whilst still hot and moist , nailed and allowed to cool . Got to check it this morning !
Never happened with 20 odd year old white wood ones !
Lesson learned . " Cedar is too expensive to risk "
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Discovered that using a cedar brood box as a steam box when rendering wax from old combs (20 minutes) caused one side to warp like hell to the point of top joints parting company .

Lesson learned . " Cedar is too expensive to risk "

The extra insulation isn't the only advantage of a poly hive for such tasks! ;)

Unless the formulation has changed Formica used to burn quite well. Maybe Aluminium would have been a better choice?

It's not stuck down yet so it may be a good idea to replace the laminate with a piece of metal ... Or both ... Belt & braces ... Metal will take the heat laminate will insulate it from the wood ... P

So I made a box thing to carry my bee stuff the 20 yards to my apiary ... without burning a hole in the bottom of it !

My smoker comes with a wire cage that prevents the hot part from touching whatever it sits on or in. So I can carry it in a plastic crate.

My smoker comes with a wire cage that prevents the hot part from touching whatever it sits on or in. So I can carry it in a plastic crate.

Well Sam, you have obviously got the deluxe version ... mine is the cheap ebay job made in Bulgaria and whilst it has got an inner can there is no cage .... the bottom of it does get quite hot !

Glue a metal coaster to the base of your box and use a loose fitted cable tie to secure the bellows closed

I'm still of the opinion that a spring under tension ceases to be a spring in time .
VM

I'm still of the opinion that a spring under tension ceases to be a spring in time .
VM

Yes, you are quite right .. but ... as I don't expect my smoker to last any great length of time (and it was very cheap) the desire to maintain aesthetics and the convenience of keeping the bellows closed exceed the desire to see longevity of the spring. However, if I ever replace it with one that could last a lifetime and I had paid a substantial amount of money for it then the equation would be reversed !

Carry my smoker in an ex army surplus small ammunition box no danger of fire and not much bigger than smoker

I tip the contents out, promotes rapid cooling . Job done !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back