What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing we're in the middle of a cold snap so bees will be tightly clustered for a while yet, Met Redwood at the association apiary and moved a hive five yards, quick damage check and apart from the odd broken branch and some twigs lying around all was fine - even the flimsy fence panels had weathered the storm.

Well it has happened. I'm hiding my th*rns delivery in my office draw, Under my office desk and a deep under the kitchen table. It's staying at work until it can be QUIETLY taken to the bee shed. She dosnt need to know!

Hefted all mine. All seems well so far. Stood back and looked at the unites I'm going to have to do in the spring as 7 hives should be 4.
That's three queens for any takers at local BKA.

I'm hiding my th*rns delivery............... She dosnt need to know!

How many times have I read similar.....you wimps!!!!
Just beam and say, "look what I've bought" and get on with it ;)

Last edited:
I wear the trousers in my House!

She just tells me the colour, style and when to change them!!!

Here we go again, 14C, lot of pollen. First fondants/patties in a hives recently. Now engines are going to be louder and louder.

Added some fondant as the weather although freezing was very calm.
Happy to see the hive was packed full of bees :)

With four others, emptied, levelled and refilled Association shed..-1C but sunny and dry. (Saturday).
Sunday -1C and snow..

Seen no bees at all for a week.

Just been down to the Apiary, setup for varrox treatments, only to find today air temp is -1C, so I'll wait another few hours, and then postpone, reading the instructions, it says treat above 4C!

The bees are flying from 2 of our 3 hives today in the sunshine. Lovely to see them.
Now need to find a way to hide the bee shed I want to put up for all my beekeeping stuff. Certainly can't be hidden under the table until it appears in the garden...better fess up....OH is throwing teddies out at the thought of me using part of his tool shed!

OH is throwing teddies out at the thought of me using part of his tool shed!
:icon_204-2:

My SS extractor has crept out into the workshop to make room for stuff ordered from Thorne.
There's still a little space left so I might go shopping at the WBKA convention.

Ha ha...you are so right. I like the idea of suggesting he use some of the enormous pile of tools to build me a shed! Hmmmm.....I could expand on that idea. I have always wanted to try a few experiments for heating and electricity. If I had my own shed...who could object?

Yesterday - used oxalic acid trickle (home made) on 14 hives. All hives alive, but some more alive than others. Three were getting a bit light on stores so I gave them some fondant.

I finally got my OA done today, only a couple of weeks late but it was nice doing it on a nice cold day. It only just over 2 weeks since the last really cold week so hoping there was no sealed brood, but I will have to do a good check in the spring to see if I need to do something else.

All my hives are doing well so hopefully I should come out of winter not many down. A nice warm spring would be nice to get them off to a good start.

I finally got my OA done today, only a couple of weeks late but it was nice doing it on a nice cold day. It only just over 2 weeks since the last really cold week so hoping there was no sealed brood, but I will have to do a good check in the spring to see if I need to do something else.

All my hives are doing well so hopefully I should come out of winter not many down. A nice warm spring would be nice to get them off to a good start.

no such luck for me, -1C, 6" snow, and cold!

no OA varrox today!

Latest posts

Back