What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zest

Just wandered round and watched a few bees venturing out in the sunshine ... not very warm so only the hardiest ones having a look - not poo flights - they were orienting and heading off to look for something ... bless them. After the well sub zero temperatures we've had lately I was surprised to see the inner temp of my Long Hive up in the low twenties ... must be sitting right under the sensor. Had a check of all inspection boards ... haven't had chance to look since last Sunday when I cleaned them off ... 5 mites on one poly hive, none at all on the other, about a dozen on the Long Hive floor - majority of them in the square under the bee gym. Nothing I'm going to worry about ... Got a lump of aluminium bar and some diesel glow plugs on ebay to set about a Redwood style vapouriser when I get a minute to spare. Total cost so far £8.75 on ebay ...(and I got four glow plugs in the pack so a few spares or a double heater element had occurred to me ?).

We had Bill Summers at the Association last night giving a talk on his Zest Hive:

http://thezesthive.com/

http://www.shropshirebees.co.uk/pdf/zest

Very interesting ... and lots of food for thought. I like to see new ideas - I don't agree with some of his comments but a lot of what he says has a very strong synergy with what I see in my super-insulated long deep hive.

i'm looking and watching with interest.

Hey All

It was 10 degrees on Sunday, so watched some bees flying around from all three hives which I enjoyed.

Hefted all three hives, one light, other two heavy.

Roll on spring.

Matt

Check all 3 of my hives today. The 2 I gave fondant to have not consumed much. The very heavy hive is still very heavy. I did find the glass crown board broken which I replaced with a wooden one. No explanation of how this occurred. I have some Perspex so will make replacements.

Have just been offered a new site with lime, oil seed rape, sycamore chestnut and may other trees. Its only 2 mile from my home but the distance between is a large conifer wood, a beech wood and open arable fields of potatoes and wheat. I would like to leave them at home for the willow, blackthorn, hawthorn and fruit trees before I move the hives.

Mike

Gave fondant to all five hives. Four were quite active - the other not so sure about.

did a bit more hedge laying in the association apiary - got my leg stuck between two boughs :eek: as I slipped when pulling them over - chainsaw, axe and billhook just out of reach!!!!!!! luckily managed to slip my foot out after removing my boot or Redwood would have had an emergency callout! all bees flying and tucking into the fondant, two will need a top-up before long. Checked the home apiary, one hive ( the strongest) needed a top-up. Probably a quick lunchtime spin to check the Carreg hives tomorrow.

Did my first oxalic ' vape' with my home made vapouriser. Treated two colonies and it took around 3mins for the crystals to disappear. One colony came boiling out as I removed the entrance block before I even had a chance to put the vapouriser in so I knew they were active! The other was quieter so after treatment I quickly opened them to check nothing untoward had happened. Thankfully just lots of calm bees fanning like crazy.

Checked the Carreg apairy - only one hive making any inroads into the fondant (the one I expected noticed as i was driving up the track that one of the hive stands was a bit crooked - thought it was my glasses at first (they do distort things a bit at distance) but noticed that I've got moles!! typical - top of a quarry, big hard standing area where my hives are (turning circle for any vehicles who may need to use the track) but to ensure the integrity of the circle My hives are on a built up 'soft' bit :banghead: Luckily there's plenty of flat bits of stone around :D

Wanted to go and check fondant levels but as I can't drive atm and my wife had two wisdom teeth out today I couldn't. I'll have to go tomorrow.
So much to do but unable to do it, getting frustrated now.

image.jpg1_zpsiory0nqi.jpg

I took a photo and cleared the entrance and then went back into the house.

I removed all inspection boards from hives, after OA (varrox) treatment last Saturday, heavy drops on two of the hives, as to be expected from two of the colonies. I could see by the debris left on the inspection board, lots of activity in all hives. One hive I spotted mouse droppings, not sure if the mouse is in the hive, as mouse guard is on, and last Saturday, the hive was treated with OA by vape-ing, so it's possible, the mouse is eating off the inspection board? Mouse droppings were not present, in my 14 days of monitoring before!

Not sure what OA vape-ing to a mouse would do?

Removed all hive straps, and hefted/weighed and recorded weights of all hives.

Removed roof (which have kingspan in roofs!).

I could clearly see all the colonies, clustered at the top of the bars, I could also check the frames of stores with a torch.

For insurance, and indicator I added a 2.5kg pack of ambrosia fondant to each hive, in an eke, cut a hole in the pack, and removed feeder cover (small piece of correx), and placed the sticky fondant cover back over the hole, checking it matched, and then pressed down the pack.

Closed up, and secured with hive straps.

Note to self, do not take car to apiary, car got stuck again reversing out of the gate!

stood watching the great tit's helping them self .to the bee's,they have worked it out .wait for them to come back .and pounce from the tree..easy meal..not much happening both wood hive's quiet .poly hive been out and about last 2 day's...can hear all 3 hive's buzzing..

Too cold for any of mine to be out. A fledgling Robin was sitting in a bush next to my study window. Hope that is not a bad omen for the bees, who cannot get out to collect pollen.

image.jpg1_zpsiory0nqi.jpg

I took a photo and cleared the entrance and then went back into the house.

Isnt that the worst thing you could do? If the bees come out, fly & land they will die, isnt it better to leave the entrance blocked to stop them getting out untill the snow melts.

Looked at the varroa board a week after vaporising OA.

Loads of varroa. Also 'dirty' capping debris suggesting brood

When should varroa stop falling after OA. I realise the brood may mean it was less effective.

Latest posts

Back