What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Close call Floyd !! :)

Going to mine Sunday, absolutely wild conditions here last night and tonight, have them strapped down but visions of the hives and stand over .... Here's hoping !

Floyd, must have been v blowy as Euc. are supposed to be deep rooted.

keep calm and carry on

r

Floyd, must have been v blowy as Euc. are supposed to be deep rooted.

They might be deep rooted, but they also rot. Tree a couple of houses away from us fell down a few years ago, it looked fine from the outside but the bark was all that was holding it together.

Made a simple steam steriliser for frames out or a 25l steel drum and a small steam cleaner, Worked well up to 95oC and steamed for 30 mins, Frames cleaned up well when hot. Will now try it out on wax.

Mike

just back from apiary, after checking hives and stands have not blown over, very cold, and very very windy! - all okay, hives are all stapped down, to stands, which are very heavy.

Today, air temperature about 6C, strong sun, not much breeze.

The Veronica in the garden on the opposite side of the road seems to still be in flower from last year.

Today, some of the bees were working it ... and I even spotted one loading her pollen baskets ...

Yes, it is mid-January.

Been cold here for a week some nights -40 with wind chill. I did a hum check today and all hives are humming away.

Eucalyptus can be quite good for wood turning.

Certainly is - I've just been given a huge amount from a 30 year old tree that was felled in a colleagues garden - it is a very dense wood, fast growing and has a very high water content so it's prone to cracking and warping but when turned wet can provide some spectacular natural warping:

http://www.daveappleby.co.uk/featured_item05.shtml

(Not one of mine but I wish it was ... )

Certainly is - I've just been given a huge amount from a 30 year old tree that was felled in a colleagues garden - it is a very dense wood, fast growing and has a very high water content so it's prone to cracking and warping but when turned wet can provide some spectacular natural warping:

http://www.daveappleby.co.uk/featured_item05.shtml

(Not one of mine but I wish it was ... )

Stunning - I'll put in my order now shall I Pargyle! ;)

Jarred up another 80 jars of soft set honey. So much easier to do in the winter. Not much honey left in my storage buckets now. I can't believe how fast it's all disappeared.

Made up another 6 ekes for feeding fondant over the crown boards if needed. And repaired a couple of sale supers that had a few knot holes and cracks.

Getting bored now! Wanna 'play bees' again! Roll on spring. :nature-smiley-005:

Checked my hives today Surprised how much weight they had lost in just a few weeks, added fondant hoping they make it through until the spring arrives.

Looks like being very cold/snowy next week so reduced entrances to 1 bee width and stuffed some tissue paper into any small cracks to stop any draughts.

Looks like being very cold/snowy next week so reduced entrances to 1 bee width and stuffed some tissue paper into any small cracks to stop any draughts.

Whoever told You.. I would not do that.. My entrances are wide open as in season. One of the apiaries at top of the hill stroke from back with north wind, I don't worry and bees also.. Once I was worried as You say cracks between boxes ( relative beginner) - You were able to see cluster inside, so I tape between ( not all) - shown wasted job. So I don't tape it any more, this winter also you can see bees between boxes ( wood shrink a bit in winter).
These are older pics.

You might care to give that idea its own thread - I (for one) am not at all convinced that it is a good idea (let alone necessary) when snow is forecast.
See what others might think!

// Sorry Goran, I paused for a cup of tea and you beat me to it. Handsomely!

Last edited:
No reason for apollogy. I paused for a dinner in meantime :)
To be in tone of thread, these days temperature increased around 11-13C daytime. Bees are bringing a lot of pollen. Some distracted by periods with strong winds blowing.

Whoever told You.. I would not do that.. My entrances are wide open as in season. One of the apiaries at top of the hill stroke from back with north wind, I don't worry and bees also.. .

You might care to give that idea its own thread - I (for one) am not at all convinced that it is a good idea (let alone necessary) when snow is forecast.
See what others might think!

:iagree:
Me three

Whoever told You.. I would not do that.. My entrances are wide open as in season. One of the apiaries at top of the hill stroke from back with north wind, I don't worry and bees also.. Once I was worried as You say cracks between boxes ( relative beginner) - You were able to see cluster inside, so I tape between ( not all) - shown wasted job. So I don't tape it any more, this winter also you can see bees between boxes ( wood shrink a bit in winter).
These are older pics.

Well i doubt we will get any snow quite like that!

I just thought it would be a good idea to make them as snug as possible,but sounds like i may be wrong-ah well live and learn.

the mass flow through gaps is related to the pressure difference which is related to the temperature difference.

Which is short means if you chill your bees with such thin wood walls so that its almost the same temperature outside then it makes little difference that the walls leak a little somewhat away from the bees.
not so much a nest as a shelter

The converse is if you insulate you need to seal

So many different opinions

From those with omf's to those who say you're crazy not to have a solid floor, to those who say to treat with Oxalic now it is too late , to those who say now is the perfect time, to those who blind with science and rely on same, to those who are more practical and intuitive in their advice and methodology.....

Beekeepers there a funny bunch !

I just thought it would be a good idea to make them as snug as possible,but sounds like i may be wrong-ah well live and learn.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the idea, but in reality the bees are likely to have plugged any gaps they don't want with propolis. :)

A quick heft (lightish, but probably as I'd expect this time of year), and application of take-away tub of fondant just to be sure. One of the two colonies seen, didn't delve for the other as its still quite brisk

Latest posts

Back