What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Normal? Is our weather ever normal?
I am not too far from you, and it's been a pleasant afternoon in the sunshine - all mine have been flying. Some on undertaker duties, some foraging, though I don't know what for!

WASPS getting worse daily......this late in November? Never before.

Your lucky, hardly seen a wasp all year in this area, think they all got drowned, and the way it keeps raining any around now will get drowned.

Last edited:
we ended up with a wasp queen flying round out living room after bringing it in with some wood for the burner. damn thing was huge was flying round all evening and following day.

Yep, I've still got a few wasps bothering the hives here too. Not really too much of a problem this year though.

All my hives were flying strongly today. Lots of orientation flights going on! Watched bees struggling to drag dead drones through the mouse guard holes so I took them all off temporarily to let them bring out their dead more easily. Pale cream and yellow pollen loads going in.

Oh and I got stung on the bum through my jeans. Ouch!

Moved 8 hives to a farm site ready for the spring. Osr to the left, field beans to the right or will be once planted.

Your lucky, hardly seen a wasp all year in this area, think they all got drowned, and the way it keeps raining any around now will get drowned.

Not a chance, the ones that nest at ground level it is usually in compost piles etc... elevated. I had a huge colony before in my compost tried to drown with gallon after gallon of water.... they loved it. Sure I saw them applying shampoo and paddling around chuckling away.

Rain wont bother them.

gallon after gallon of water.... they loved it. Sure I saw them applying shampoo and paddling around chuckling away.

Rain wont bother them.

Interesting, they were not elevated, but under water for weeks on end on the Somerset levels last winter, nothing else did any good in the flooding caused by the excessive rain last winter, I know that.

Last edited:
Yep, I've still got a few wasps bothering the hives here too. Not really too much of a problem this year though.

All my hives were flying strongly today. Lots of orientation flights going on! Watched bees struggling to drag dead drones through the mouse guard holes so I took them all off temporarily to let them bring out their dead more easily. Pale cream and yellow pollen loads going in.

Oh and I got stung on the bum through my jeans. Ouch!

Photo's :paparazzi::paparazzi::paparazzi::paparazzi:
E

Even today bees flying some still bringing in pollen. Looked through perspex crown board at about 09.00 saw bees were clustered I think the strongest has 6 lines, the next 5 and the late swarm 4. Hopefully they are all strong enough for the winter. Hefted all hives all very heavy.

Mine were flying today bringing orange and white pollen in even though the temp was only 9
Aidy

Surprised to see plenty of activity today. Bees bringing in a little pollen, others dragging dead bees out from the hive and even saw one bee tackling another at the entrance before flying it off. I guess this was a drone ??

Done a bit of scything around the hives and now a proud owner of two blisters.
Watched orange and yellow pollen coming into the hives and drones been evicted (poor buggers) still a few wasps about

Dank and misty this morning so we emptied the bee shed out, and tidied away all the new kit from T's sale

light drizzle and 10C at 4.30pm so decided to weigh mine, I put blocks over the entrances out of habit and when finished there were a couple of bees waiting to get back into each hive.....good job they don't have EU working directives!

Fitted mouse guards .... Late !! Couldn't beleive it on approaching hives like Heathrow bees piling in and out.
Plenty of pollen, Viburnum and a great bank of Mahonia in flower planted by the council beside team lines :)

Back