What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calling all black pot-kettles. Surely on these principles a lazy Q is squished now with a view to a spring split?

I have a bunch of old bees and POSSIBLY something better in the form of a laying Q. I am going to follow my handle because that makes most sense risk/reward-wise. It is an August increase that probably failed, not poor Isis (Downton reference). No big deal.

Update: I took a peek through the clear cover looking for inspiration and saw two big saucer eyes looking up at me. So that decided it. Put my nuc second storey to work and popped them over my other non-production colony's nuc using a bunch of smoke. Will A/S the 2-storey nuc or similar in spring.

I've got myself fascinated with overwintering drones in Q- colonies. But not this year.

I saw some of these poor guys dispatched outside the hives by their own sisters BEFORE the unite. It was as though a whiff of queen pheromone (from their own mother, the way it all turned out, so it was really a reunite) put them in normal November mode.

A quick visit to the apiary, and first time in a month, quick heft of all hives, a peek through the clear crown boards, and I could see bees clustering at the front of the hives.

Lots of activity from all hives.

Checked on creamed honey, and I think it might be set ready for labelling. All honey extraction activities now over, all jarred. Not labelled all the jars, and I have many pallets! of honey stored in the cupboard. I must find a retail outlet, Honey from the Gate sales have dwindled, might need a larger sign!

I was thinking of purchasing some jute bags, and selling both runny and creamed honey with Holly and gift tags for Christmas maybe for £9.99!

Checked the feeder and it was dry. :hairpull:Refilled this morning. Weather here in Glenavy, was dire, over cast, misty and wet. Then the sun comes out, and then you know it the outside of the hive all afternoon was going nuts. Plenty of pollen being delivered. Fair play to them. Bought three bags of sugar with my Sunday paper. All this sugar being bought must be making them think what I am up too :calmdown:................

Checked activity still orange pollen going in and they are still working the mustard. Got stung on eyelid eye now closed which was a surprise as I now don't seem to be affected by stings. This colony is very aggressive, attack as soon as the paddock gate is opened, Will have to requeen in the spring.
Also scrapped the wax off 20 frames I had been given.

Alloy inserts put into poly hives then oxalic with shiny new Sublimox. Expensive but very very easy and quick! Only varroa treatment from now on in.
Extra roof insulation on with a chunk each of fondant.
Inspection floors all in with enterances down to two bee space. Storm covers on soon. All pretty active yesteday with pollen still coming in on most. One nuc looks to be way too small but was small when it came out of an apple tree not so long ago_Only time will tell.
Feeders to be washed and frames to be made.

Checked activity still orange pollen going in and they are still working the mustard. Got stung on eyelid eye now closed which was a surprise as I now don't seem to be affected by stings. This colony is very aggressive, attack as soon as the paddock gate is opened, Will have to requeen in the spring.
Also scrapped the wax off 20 frames I had been given.

Maybe your Orange Pollen.... Dahlias still in flower in my Garden... that's not to say your Bees were in my Garden ... :)

Could do if your not far away. The bees need to be not in a cluster ideally so now is a good time. As I have been advised 3 applications 5 days apart should wipe the little buggers out:)

Latest posts

Back