What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been reading about the Philae lander, the one on the comet. An amazing bit of science. They must be beekeepers over there at the ESA: obviously it's in a spot of bother so they have done what they can by orientating it towards the sun and are going to check back in spring to see if they can bring it back to life. I have the name for my next Q...

With my trusty rolled up newspaper and no time at all, I took out 6 wasps today and 10 yesterday.

got stung !!!!!

And swelling up like a hippo
Trying the vodka therapy but it doesnt seem to be working....
Got 40 people coming for a party on saturday night so hope the swelling goes down soon (stung on right forearm, all arm and hand swollen)
Im hopeless left handed
I was only vaporizing with OA and the little bugger crawled up my sleeve.
I was fully kitted, suit, respirator goggles, the works but forgot to put glove on outside of sleeve as only using thin nitrile ones
Another lesson learnt

With my trusty rolled up newspaper and no time at all, I took out 6 wasps today and 10 yesterday.

They are still out in force no doubt the mild autumn has extended their season, can't see them disappearing for a while. Swatted a few buzzing the entrance to my hives though fascinating to see them carrying off the carcasses of dead bees back to their nests.

Chilly, but sunny. Bees going ballistic, two with pollen going in and drones still flying.

My wife took a call from someone this morning wanting to know if we had any honey to sell in bulk.
1471 gave me the number which turned out to be a Honey Farm, not too far away....
I rang the number and got through to a lady who answered "XXX Honey Farm"
I asked why a Honey Farm would want to buy bulk honey from an independent bee-keeper.
The lady at the other end then went very quiet and said she couldn't understand me!
I gave up in the end and put the phone down.

First farmers market today. Sold 65 jars. Really enjoyed it.
Roll on next month.
JM

checked the girls were happy in the sunshine while clearing leaves in the garden.
bee-smillie Both hives very busy today, bringing in lots of deep yellow pollen, the hives are well propolised so leaving them be.

Quite pleased with the varroa drop count, 10 on one board and a few less on the other.
Absolutely nothing compared to the "250+" and "I give up at 300+" that was there before I did the Apiguard treatment last month.

And swelling up like a hippo
Trying the vodka therapy but it doesnt seem to be working....

Don't worry Hedgehog66 you can 'wallow' next to me and R at the AGM!
The vodka may be no good for stings, but it might liven up the meeting if you bring it with you!
:party-smiley-050:

I popped down to the apiary to check the monitoring trays but couldn't get near the hives without a suit on. Another warm, 13˚, sunny day here; bees flying somewhere over my head.
Husband copped a large yellow poo on his forehead. I told him it was lucky!!

Quite warm here this morning when I took frames out to the garage for storing but sun gone, damp and colder by lunchtime. No time to check on the girls, too busy labeling honey.

Upgrading the quilt on a hive and the nuc, noticed that the temperature at the crownboards was low. Colonies were active today at 15C. I suspect that I am brood free so on balance I think I shall go in LASI-style tomorrow if the weather is like today.

Back