What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold, dull samp and windy here but the bees are out in force bringing in the pollen mostly. Topped up feeders at Brynmair - some are slurping it down like anything and some sipping daintily - but it's all going down. Took the apiguard off the last hive - they look a bit weak, but foraging busily enough, oo late to do much more now, so I'll just have to see what transpires. strapped all the hives down - now going to play with my new candle moulds

Feed the bee more syrup. Very active today. Very windy but not overly cold today in sunny Northern Ireland.

Checked feeders on hives and only two hives are taking it down, I'll give them another week and that's it then shut down for winter. Bees still collecting lot's of yellow and white pollen.

Lying in bed this morning I heard scratchings in the ceiling above (=above the ceiling). So, must dust off and deploy the mouse guards pronto. Rodents move into the loft and thatch every autumn so likely to be eyeing up my hives too. Hopefully the mg will be more effective in excluding rodents than the chicken wire which covers the thatch. Will also renew rat poison in the loft - apols to gently-nurtured forumites who love all furry creatures.

Both hives stopped taking syrup, so taken feeders off hefted both to get an idea of weight and can now finally let them settle down for the winter!

A young beekeeper knocked on my door today, asking a few questions about the Winter, and what to do! (he had moved into the area in August!) - I was quite surprised how "advanced" I've become in my second year! Not sure I'm ready to Mentor yet!

and on walking in the parish, I came across another active hive in a field, with bees close to my apiary I didn't know about!

That maybe explains the swarms in the area, this year!!!

(two apiary, very close to my apiary, and not members on any local associations!)

Latest posts

Back