What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went up to carreg apiary to take apiguard ekes off and feeders on. Bees out and busy there - it's a wonderful sun trap I've chosen for them - another spot earmarked for future expansion with the gentle application of a chainsaw :D hives still packed with bees but still need a bit more stores before they're right for winter.

signed the agreement to use a one acre fallow field for beekeeping and moved one hive on to confirm to the owner my intent to use it for bees

All hives busy. Lots of bees crashing into each other with bright yellow pollen baskets absolutely stuffed.
No idea where they are getting that.

Removed all the feeders, supers, crownboards used for feeding. I didn't secure three of the hives with rachet straps as bees were becoming a little feisty today, after removing feeders on hive no.4, bees were out, one stung my glove, followed by another, so worked quick, on hive5, and hive6....

I've seen this behaviour before, last year when removing feeders.

(I was going to leave this job until later in the month, but as today was very warm, I thought today, would be my final day, doing any "bee hive work", except check weights, OA in December/Jan, and maybe fondant...

Next weekend T* Sales!

Must get my order in before 14th Oct!

Went and checked ten hives, removed inspection trays and all ten very heavy and a few extremely heavy so no feeding this autumn for me. Happy days.

Took off supers and put them below the bb and removed QE ,going to have final inspection soon before strapping down

That hive looks very lonely on its own.

just looked in the Honey piggy Bank and so far it has been a good year, so there will be a big carboard box of goodies arriving from £hornes just after Christmas

Last edited:
just looked in the Honey piggy Bank and so far it has been a good year, so there will be a big carboard box of goodies arriving from £hornes just after Christmas
Glad you done well, I hope to expand a bit more too next year from my piggy bank

Yesterday afternoon. Took advantage of the sunshine to transfer a 6 frame nuc to a dummied 8 frame national. New frames were already drawn. Late in the season for the move but the nuc was bursting with bees and stores. Fed with thymolated sugar syrup. Ivy is still coming in. Sin e!

Just fed the nasty colony and got 8+ stings for my trouble. HM is a new queen this year. If she can get them through the winter then I‘ll replace her next year. Unless IrishGuy wants her??

P***ing Rain !!! Dang It !!!!..

Was all setup to go and feed, and swap a small colony from a National timber into a cosy a six frame Poly Nuc.

So I suppose this should come under

" What I Nearly Did in the Apiary Today " :rofl:

Walked over to the apiary and was pleased to see all hives busy foraging and bringing in ivy pollen and nectar, in stark contrast to yesterday when all bees stayed inside keeping dry out of the rain. Glanced under the weather roofs to check the rapid feeders. All but number five were still half full so filled up number five. Soon be time to put the hive cosies on I think.

Checked my feeders. Bees not taking down anymore. Think they have enough for winter. Time to move on to maintenance.

A dry day forcast tomorrow so my what WILL you be doing in the apiary is to remove the feeders from the last two hives, remove the corex under the mesh floor, remove the supers and queen excluders, fit solid crown boards and put the lids back on with a brick on top.

Then its onto maintenance and making stuff.

I had a look at one inspection tray....they are all due out tomorrow anyway.
most of the mites fallen in the last week are just shells.....Is something eating them?

Latest posts

Back