What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
busy as a bee

I placed some fondant in all of my hives today haven't lost any colonies this year . All looking very big and strong just have to find time to build twenty more hives and two queen castles also five nuc's bee-smilliebee oh well better get on then lol.

I did nothing in the apiary today, or the shed- due to the continuing cold, I was allowed to make a brood box in the kitchen- much nicer! :smash:

what........

I did nothing in the apiary today, or the shed- due to the continuing cold, I was allowed to make a brood box in the kitchen- much nicer! :smash:

Replaced one lot of fondant, very quickly! both hives seem OK.

Topped up home-made fondant on a couple of hives at an out apiary and started reviewing last year's hive notes to give a bit of forethought with regards to how to play it with a couple of colonies come Spring time......

Topped up home-made fondant on a couple of hives at an out apiary and started reviewing last year's hive notes to give a bit of forethought with regards to how to play it with a couple of colonies come Spring time......

One tray of home made fondant all gone, the other half gone and no bees under it. Some fresh cappings underneath suggest they're not starving, mind.

Replaced the empty one with one I had in the car and left them to it.

Cluster looked OK (ie it was there and over a couple of frames) from what I could see throughn the CB. As I was working on the plot until dark, I did see a bit of flying, but not any pollen on the few I saw go in.

Still, it was VERY cold by 1500 with so much frost on my breath it looked like I was smoking.

I counted them all out................................
.............................................................then I counted them all in again!!!!

They were all smiling and waving............... happy little bees!

had to move my hives again as they wanted to dig under my hives to lay a cable, and moved some supers to them so they are at hand when needed.

what would have happened to the cable if you hadn't shifted the hives? LOL

I went to my one and only hive today just to look and see the damage done over winter. Sunny day here in Norfolk. Hive fine, no damage from woodpeckers even though there are lots about. So I hefted it, it seemed heavy but as I am a weakling I thought I should have a peek in. I took off the roof, all quiet, the feeder I left on last year was empty, I had to leave it on because it suddenly went freezing and I was frightened to open it in case I chilled them too much.
So, today I moved the feeder a little and heard a very loud buzzing, so I closed it up quickly. Hooray. They are still alive! I will go back later this week and put some fondant on.
I am so pleased.

I went to my one and only hive today just to look and see the damage done over winter. Sunny day here in Norfolk. Hive fine, no damage from woodpeckers even though there are lots about. So I hefted it, it seemed heavy but as I am a weakling I thought I should have a peek in. I took off the roof, all quiet, the feeder I left on last year was empty, I had to leave it on because it suddenly went freezing and I was frightened to open it in case I chilled them too much.
So, today I moved the feeder a little and heard a very loud buzzing, so I closed it up quickly. Hooray. They are still alive! I will go back later this week and put some fondant on.
I am so pleased.

why the fondant Lois?
if they don't need it, don't give it to them.
and yes, it was a lovely sunny (yet still bloody cold) day in Norfolk !!

Cos us girls like to treat our girls Mr Bloke! You're not a weakling Lois!

But they are our girls and we love them (well usually, except when they're stinging my leg to bits! Still got the scars!):p

Latest posts

Back