What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such frames are rarity this season.. Queen is awesome.. The storms are whipping also.. Allegedly from now on weather will calm down.. Again hail to climate changes..
If they got it right.. might be honeydew flow, but not expecting to be so lucky.. I am more believer in Murphy's law..

Attachments

• uno.jpg
    uno.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 93
  • dos.jpg
    dos.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 77
  • cuatro.jpg
    cuatro.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 77
  • cinco.jpg
    cinco.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 62
  • tres.jpg
    tres.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Lovely photos Goran..,always love hearing from you
E

So far.. beekeeping season here is not good. I have not much extracted ( few barrels) and even not pure black locust.. The price for now " multifloral" honey is insulting and I don't have such honey.. At least swarming season is over. But now queen rearing, after that most likely sorting all the colonies for next season.. Lot of work at same time with hazels..
Grass is growing wild.. can't keep up..
The result in bad seasons and still low honey prices is logically drastically decreasing number of beeks.. Colonies can't sell cause no one wants to buy, , they are worthless in such conditions ( prices and season failure)..
It is " amusing" to see in bad seasons when is little honey harvested, price for it remain low or even lower, all that difference in qty come " from abroad" for.. nickle?

Last edited:
I need to learn to wait more....... my 14×12 hive that has been queenless for around 5 weeks and I thought was on way out, today has 4 full frames layed up with eggs and a lovely fat queen seen.

Theres hope for it yet.

I need to learn to wait more....... my 14×12 hive that has been queenless for around 5 weeks and I thought was on way out, today has 4 full frames layed up with eggs and a lovely fat queen seen.

Theres hope for it yet.

Patience is a virtue isn't it. I had the same, and now she is in overdrive!
E

Added a super yesterday with starter strips in the frames going to give it ago in the nationals.
I want to compine a swarm and a very strong colony but the weather isn't not looking good for 3/4 days , I'm trying to get sorted for the main flows

Extracted last of the OSR/spring honey yesterday making a total of 180lb from my 2 main hives!
This is best yeild I've had by this time of year (only 10yrs beekeeping).
Good spring here but also different swarm control - nucleus removal rather than Pagden. Kept colonies strong whilst new queens raised, mated and into lay.

About my worst ever Spring take. Three half supers of half filled combs in store and 10 cut and packed for sale. FFS! From 7 colonies!

PH

About my worst ever Spring take. Three half supers of half filled combs in store and 10 cut and packed for sale. FFS! From 7 colonies!

PH

Let's hope the summer crop is better I know how you feel .

Built 10 frames last night. Not sure I'll manage an inspection until Sun - pretty poor weather forecast!

Such frames are rarity this season.. Queen is awesome.. The storms are whipping also.. Allegedly from now on weather will calm down.. Again hail to climate changes..
If they got it right.. might be honeydew flow, but not expecting to be so lucky.. I am more believer in Murphy's law..
Murphy was an optimist!

Spent day extracting supers, will be at it again tomorrow and probably Sunday too. Not my favourite job but picked a good weekend given the weather.
S

Stuck a clearer board under a fully capped super on one colony, and removed the feeder from a nuc. Had a quick look inside and found a big fat queen and a frame of eggs. That makes her the 4th queen I've had mated this year.

Murphy was an optimist!

If so.. maybe the right time to abandon the ship..
Talked with one beek friend today which goes migratory.. catastrophe.. Storms and showers kick every day, scale goes in minus, queens low mating rate, colonies are weakening.. He is exhausted of work.. and result of 3 forages.. pain in the back.. He has 2 more to go.. I keep telling him, not worthy.. decrease, ease to yourself and enjoy.. but he is determined.. for now..

I keep telling him, not worthy.. decrease, ease to yourself and enjoy.. but he is determined.. for now..

I tried that with women once but I found the level of pain remained the same.

Stuck a clearer board under a fully capped super on one colony, and removed the feeder from a nuc. Had a quick look inside and found a big fat queen and a frame of eggs. That makes her the 4th queen I've had mated this year.

I think you need to tell the drones how to do the deed..these poor little devils die after such activity..:rolleyes:

Performed an emergency OAV treatment on a colony with intermittent signs of DWV. I’d cleared them out of the supers a couple of days ago. Figured with the rain I’d get a good proportion of the bees. Looked at monitoring board I’d placed in beforehand. Didn’t count mites but there were a lot visible.

Colony has done well so far regardless. Is on 3 supers and required a move up to double brood. Hopefully I’ll get the notes under control over the next few weeks so they can get building towards autumn.

Figured with the rain I’d get a good proportion of the bees.
Doesn't really matter - it's not the 'vapour' that does the trick but the desublimated crystals that comes in contact with the bees afterwards, it's effective for a few days so eventually all the bees come into contact with it. I never close up the bees when I do it, the bees out flying will get it later

Latest posts

Back