What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Collected a large swarm directly into the brood box. Left to gather all the bees and moved to the apiary at 10pm. Took a gamble and didn’t use myvfullbsuitbjust a head veil and gloves. On opening up the bb to place in the foundation frames they came out fast , I managed to put in the frames and did a runner. Returned with bee suit on and finished the job. I had done this once before early evening and it was easy with quiet bees, hope this doesn’t suggest an angry hive or is it just with opening up at night?

Collected a large swarm directly into the brood box. Left to gather all the bees and moved to the apiary at 10pm. Took a gamble and didn’t use myvfullbsuitbjust a head veil and gloves. On opening up the bb to place in the foundation frames they came out fast , I managed to put in the frames and did a runner. Returned with bee suit on and finished the job. I had done this once before early evening and it was easy with quiet bees, hope this doesn’t suggest an angry hive or is it just with opening up at night?

Probably opening at night. Once they are settling in for night the hive will be full and won’t like being disturbed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yesterday I United two swarms in brood boxes + 1 super.
Put a super on the black bee's , :)-) nuc may 12th. Lovely...
Went through the two local bee colonys 1 super added, and two supers to the brood + 2 Halfs under Neath existing honey supers .
There was a good sized swarm in the field hanging from my plum tree this was at 1230 my wife was ready to go out ... Umm.. I'm just going to hive the swarm a minute... Do you want to watch?
Hour and a half later my ass is grass.
The swarms not mine but has settled into there new home hopefully.
Hopefully all's well at home for me also I've got my equilibrium to think of.

Last edited:
I managed an inspection between clouds yesterday, was pleasantly surprised to find a weak hive had picked up significantly. Its going to be requeened asap - just have to find a reliable source as there isn't really anything local to me.

sat here watching a band of rain moving in at the moment, yesterday, caught up on apiary inspections, made up a few nucs from selected Demarree's, Demarree'd a few more yellow queens. Kept stirring a batch of creamed honey ready for the Royal Welsh

sat here watching a band of rain moving in at the moment, yesterday, caught up on apiary inspections, made up a few nucs from selected Demarree's, Demarree'd a few more yellow queens. Kept stirring a batch of creamed honey ready for the Royal Welsh

I just recently went to the spring small holders show , there was two beekeeping stands .
Do you go to it?

I just recently went to the spring small holders show , there was two beekeeping stands .
Do you go to it?

Yes, I was the WBKA point of contact for the Saturday, sadly the show goes from worse to worse each year - ruined due to the ineptness of the current director

Yes, I was the WBKA point of contact for the Saturday, sadly the show goes from worse to worse each year - ruined due to the ineptness of the current director

Was your stand in the building with the chickens in?
Or down by the band stand on the way to the dogs .
I may even of spoke to you emyr .

Was your stand in the building with the chickens in?
Or down by the band stand on the way to the dogs .
I may even of spoke to you emyr .

We were in the Glamorgan hall - near the poultry, I was on the stand from 1000 to gone 1400. The one with the bee tent was Swansea Beekeepers

We were in the Glamorgan hall - near the poultry, I was on the stand from 1000 to gone 1400. The one with the bee tent was Swansea Beekeepers

I'll keep an eye out for you next time .
We will be bringing australope chickens next year to show.

Extracted yesterday, 12 hours god I hate it!
was a few weeks too late, some crystallisation and exploding comb but we got there in the end.
For sure my best spring harvest ever by far.

So the warm weather continues...
Checked all hives and all going very well. Still 3 supers to take off and extract at some point.

First full year of beekeeping, overwintered 4 hives and now upto 6 hives and 3 nucs..... I have 3 Dr S German queens arriving in the next 3 weeks so getting stretched on equipment but loving every minute of it.

Extracted from the top half of a snelgrove that I shook out on Sat after failed Q raising. Assumed it was nectar, but refractometer read 16-19 (with half a frame at 21), so just adds to the harvest.

Set up two more starter colonies with grafts from a buckfast queen. Queen mating so far this year has been dreadful. Plenty of virgins seen wandering around and numerous drones but loads of failed nucs that are giving positive results (queen cells) when a test frame is added after a few weeks.
All the recent rain has got the grass growing so a few Apiaries needed strimming but the blackberry is just starting to flower so hopefully a good flow.

Set up two more starter colonies with grafts from a buckfast queen. Queen mating so far this year has been dreadful. Plenty of virgins seen wandering around and numerous drones but loads of failed nucs that are giving positive results (queen cells) when a test frame is added after a few weeks.
All the recent rain has got the grass growing so a few Apiaries needed strimming but the blackberry is just starting to flower so hopefully a good flow.

Very similar here.. if the five virgin colonies have no sign of a mated Queen this weekend i will be buying a few mated Queens in soon.

Thunderstorms almost every day, 27C, good weather for swarming. My apiary is still in the backyard which is more safe place for bees now. The bees look much better than last year after the chemical shower. But I can't make splits - no free place here, my backyard is just 0,06 ha. The chemical war is going on. Corn, grain and soy are the main "export" plants of this season. Farmers again decided to make all money. So they use all kind of pesticides (actually the most inexpensive and dangerous) to "protect" their fields - to kill every living creature around. Every year they make a new record of harvest which represents by media as a big achievment of our agriculture. I hate this agriculture.
I have found only two fields of sunflower and nothing more useful for bees. This style of agriculture really destroys nature and diversity. They don't grow cows or any other animals (all farms are in ruins), they don't have and don't use organic fertilizers. Only corn, grain and soy for export.

Latest posts

Back