What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would have been last year for me, totally different this year.

Always said the Welsh were unpredictable.
Round here every year....I have a grapefruit sized cast of locals in the garden...they attack at dawn!

With winter approaching and under 100mm of rain in 5 months, I've been hefting hives to check on reserves. Light dusting of snow on high country this morning and winds from Antarctica tomorrow.

Attachments

• Mountain Snow.jpg
    Mountain Snow.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Inspected all mine today,the bees are just treading water at the moment.

On the plus side all my colonies now have laying queens but on the negative side they were all a bit touchy for the first time this year,the weather isn't great and were in the June gap here so i'll forgive them this time.

Quick visit yesterday before afternoon showers and (finally!) heavy rain yesterday evening.

The swarm I caught have got the message and have now drawn out the other frames in the brood box after breaking up the nest a little with rames of foundation. They haven't started using the super yet, but I swapped in half a box of wet, drawn frames that were just spun out as additional nectar/honey storage should they need it. Added the other drawn half with foundation into a super and placed onto a colony that should about now have a new Q mating/coming into lay I hope...

May have to make up more frames/supers, though expect them all to slow down a little now the rape is starting to go over, hawthorn is pretty much done too; though field beans still flowering well.

Last edited:
Yes you did, but Beefriendly didn't pick up on it, otherwise there are the Welsh Bowmen from Monmouth who fought at Agingcourt. Some people regard Monmouthshire as English.

Shame about Offa...he had the right idea.

I think your English is getting better...Well done.

BTW I never follow links in any forum...you never know where they ,might lead..

We still have a lot of rain.. Still beeks can't cope with swarming.. One beek got furious, told me he will burn down his notes and records about bees.. cause all went to hell ( swarming)..
Farmers had to reseed corn and still due to rain it could end futile..
Media still pumping people with propaganda .. unbelievable.. Pure madness.. When some poor guy believe it and went into loans and end up in the street with family.. who cares.. Our agriculture is dead as dead horse and still we.. it looks to me as poor copy of Goebbels propaganda..

Last edited:
Extracted just over 100 lbs - first of the season - and first use of my new (to me, used, ebay) electric extractor . Weather still cold so clearing was patchy - to say the least..

Third inspection. Took down a queen cup, not sure if that's a good/bad thing.
They have been building up really nicely. Saw capped brood on one of the frames I added on day one with just foundation. Chuffed!

Latest posts

Back