What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hives arrived home. The last nice days before very unpleasant season which I don't like - grey, cold and wet November and then dull winter. The bees still can take syrup so I've given it to some hives in need.

In general autumn is warmer than usual, many trees are still green. In Ukrainian this month is called "yellow", the warm period in October is "grandmother's summer".

View attachment 16140

View attachment 16141

An unusually warm Autumn here is known as an Indian Summer . [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Not much in this weather, so switched now to the workshop, making up new boxes to make space for the next delivery :D.
Wandered up to the home apiary for a quick check - the high hedges afford the hives good shelter from the wind but there is an overflow culvert which runs under my land from the old factory (now starter workshops) above and behind which sometimes blocks in heavy rain and floods the apiary. All OK but even in this awful weather the bees were out in force (not just the odd one or two) making the most of the ivy which surrounds them in the woods.

even in this awful weather the bees were out in force (not just the odd one or two) making the most of the ivy which surrounds them in the woods.

I wonder if those colonies that burn extra fuel in adverse conditions benefit i.e. if workers of a colony stays at home, it forgoes the potential benefit but saves the "cost" of energy (food) and wing power (wear and tear on foragers going into winter) expelled.
It is probably unknowable but there must be a cost/benefit relationship involved.

I wonder if those colonies that burn extra fuel in adverse conditions benefit i.e. if workers of a colony stays at home, it forgoes the potential benefit but saves the "cost" of energy (food) and wing power (wear and tear on foragers going into winter) expelled.
It is probably unknowable but there must be a cost/benefit relationship involved.

with the ivy only yards away and it being pretty sheltered there probably isn't that much of an energy cost.

Maybe the scouts make the call? If they think the source is really worth the trip they dance more aggressively to encourage more bees to forage.

JBM,
You'd better seal them in and pour a few gallons of syrup into them ;)

I will - once I've finished cutting one leg off each queen to ensure I don't get late supersedure confused with paint flaking off in the spring :D

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Mind you, red is bad....red always comes off

I used pink... seems to stay on... I have red and pink marked queens living happily together in some colonies.

Large ash tree fallen across one apiary with the storms.... fortunately had moved the bees from that site in the summer.... access was too steep and a better one with good road access became available in the valley.

Bees still flying ... ivy taps full on!!

Chons da

Very windy but 24 degrees here in flat lincs.... But bees are all over the ivy just 50 yards away. I do have some zinas in flower still odd bees on them but they have to travel in the high winds about 100 yards to get to them.....

Maybe the scouts make the call? If they think the source is really worth the trip they dance more aggressively to encourage more bees to forage.

Yes. That's the accepted answer. I suppose it's also dependent on how much a colony needs pollen versus nectar. One may have lots of honey and need pollen, while another may have plenty of pollen and need nectar. Each colonies needs will be different so their willingness to expend the energy to get the "income" (nectar and/or pollen) will be, at least partly, dependent on what their needs are.
Mine were going bonkers this afternoon - lots of yellow pollen coming in

Very windy, but warm here. Hives in a sheltered spot, surrounded by brambles, big bushes and ivy, so not at all far to go to get at the ivy. Still a few wasps around, but hives defending strongly now. Even found a dead hornet outside one hive.

Topped up the hives with syrup. I've got the 2 mini colonies in a single 14x12 nuc which has been seperated down the middle. All encased with 100 or 120mm celotex. They seem nice and active, coming and going through their respective tunnels in the celotex.

Lots of dark orange pollen going into all hives from the Ivy I guess. and also some dark red. According to sheffield pollen chart, it could be Field Scabious, or something from someone's garden.

with the ivy only yards away and it being pretty sheltered there probably isn't that much of an energy cost.

Sounds like an excellent site.
We've had 24C here this afternoon. You'd scarcely believe it was possible for October! Mine were bring in lots of pollen too

Cut the lawn next to the apiary and got stung on the top of my head. Bee caught in my hair - what's left of it!

Dealing with hazel shoots.. Bees will have few days peace from me. Nice warm weather, mild sun, clear blue sky.. whole day in orchard, listening bees fly around.. money can't buy such things..

Yesterday was at my second apiary.. wild boars plough all around hives.. luckily they didn't overturn some. Bees a bit feisty were,maybe they encounter the boars previously..

Here in Cornwall we get an extended "Indian Summer".... great to go onto the beaches and up onto the moors without the car parks full of tourists!
Set to change for a week to storms... then another week or two of Halcyon days until the frosts set in.
Yeghes da
We are far from the ocean so autumn is a calm period here without storms. But our winter is significantly colder than in Britain.
An unusually warm Autumn here is known as an Indian Summer . [emoji3]

Is it came from the US? Where are indians in Britain?

Weird weather yet again blowing a hooly and lashing down now and again but the temps are in the 20C's ..bees flying regardless of the wind and rain.
Checked six full colonies for feed.. three where nice and heavy three where border line.. topped the feeders up on the border line hives..

I noticed a strange thing on one colony though (brood+half)..the brood box which i use for eke over the crown board was jam packed with bees.. lets hope they are not running out of space with this funny weather.

Back