What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After helping my mother move into her new flat, I picked a bowlful of the last ripe cherry tomatoes, took down the tomato plants and cleared the greenhouse....
This gave me ample space to move all the unused poly nucs, feeders and various other bits and pieces into the greenhouse for overwintering which in turn made room in the super storage shed to put in the new shallows and brood boxes I shall be making over winter. bit damp and cold here today but bees flying strongly to the ivy, pollen baskets jam packed, piling in the winter stores.

After helping my mother move into her new flat, I picked a bowlful of the last ripe cherry tomatoes, took down the tomato plants and cleared the greenhouse....
This gave me ample space to move all the unused poly nucs, feeders and various other bits and pieces into the greenhouse for overwintering which in turn made room in the super storage shed to put in the new shallows and brood boxes I shall be making over winter. bit damp and cold here today but bees flying strongly to the ivy, pollen baskets jam packed, piling in the winter stores.

That's a cracking idea..i have a my gear in my Mothers double garage and there is barely room to walk through..i will now do the same with my bee gear and free up some space for my tools for those cold winter days.

Checked the colonies for feed and weight.. three of the six at one spot have slowed down taking syrup and i presume the other three will be the same next week..the nuc is ticking over nicely as is another hived nuc is doing grand..the varroa problem has eased of and two more colonies will get a vape on Wednesday and that will be me done till the New years vape..

I have 1 greenhouse set up for painting brood boxes and all the rest of the kit over winter. The other greenhouse still has tomatoes but have that earmarked for painting my allotment edging planks. Wet and cold today but better tomorrow onwards and 21 degrees by Wednesday. When's this summer going to end???

Have seen somebody on a website will be selling 3rd grade national brood boxes for £35 for 5, stated they need some remedial work. Are 3rds worth buying????

Have seen somebody on a website will be selling 3rd grade national brood boxes for £35 for 5, stated they need some remedial work. Are 3rds worth buying????

If they are not poly i would not by them... if they where poly i still not wold buy them.. my apiaries are disease free and that is how i would like them to stay..;)

I think you talking of the Thorne's on site sale at Rand.All brand new, but what you buy is what you get, you cannot whinge about the quality and take them back.
known some who have bought them and yes, they are worth it. If you happen to be near enough to go there by opening time and try your luck in the ruck.

Yes sorry did not explain clearly. Was talking about Thornes sale. I'm 30 mins away so was going to go and see what they are like. For £35 for 5 even if I get only 3 worthwhile ones out of it, but hopefully all can be made good.

I've ordered to pick up 50 bb frames and 50 super frames (2nds) as they work out at just over 50p a frame.

Still some emergency feed. In a pic in a distance weather changing, I was playing game who is faster, I got some shower on me.. Later on I met this little fellow, after the rain he must felt it is the right time to stretch legs for a night walk..

Attachments

• DSCN9520.jpg
    DSCN9520.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN9526.jpg
    DSCN9526.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 88
Still some emergency feed. In a pic in a distance weather changing, I was playing game who is faster, I got some shower on me.. Later on I met this little fellow, after the rain he must felt it is the right time to stretch legs for a night walk..

What type of Salamander is that Goran.. it looks a nice little thing.

Yes sorry did not explain clearly. Was talking about Thornes sale. I'm 30 mins away so was going to go and see what they are like. For £35 for 5 even if I get only 3 worthwhile ones out of it, but hopefully all can be made good.

I've ordered to pick up 50 bb frames and 50 super frames (2nds) as they work out at just over 50p a frame.

A tub of 2-pack woodfiller could be useful too.

Helped a friend take Apivar strips out of his 30 Commercial hives and also checked their weight. Several hives were a little light even thought they have had several feeds.

Very quick hive inspection as it was sunny and warm. lots of firsts today, the bees were a bit lively, stung 3 times, first time from this hive! saw queen for first time since getting the colony, apparently i was like a toddler seeing farther Christmas when i found her but worth the stings :) she is big and fat, dark colour but so are lots of her offspring, so can overwinter knowing queenright, plenty of BIAS, pollen and 6 12x14 frames full of capped stores so last inspection this year, just have to open up once more to remove Apivar strips.

Applied apivar to all three colony's at home , I put the strips in-between frame 2/3 and 5/6 right in the cluster of the brood box , I put half back on and have given each hive 2 pints of syryp,To get lots of movement in the hives. Hopefully that will sort the critters out !
I will check in a month and move them if needs be I'm going for six weeks with two hives and 10 weeks for the worst hive .

Last edited:
Pleased to see a full frame of worker brood (only pulled one) in a late unite where queen became drone layer. This colony had a lot of full sized drones flying today. I knew she had laid some drones in drone cells as well, but I am surprised they have not kicked them out as the colony is on the light side. They are Ligurian though.

This morning I'll potter around the farm, do my final checks, slap on some mouse guards, strap down the hives and call it a season. It's been the best one I've had for ages.

Latest posts

Back