Veg Availability (split from Podilia's thread)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t know what all the moanings about anyway……. It’s not like there’s a shortage of Quinoa in Waitrose!

All vegetables, fruits and vegetables have a preferential period of consumption (season). During that period its price will be low but outside of it the cost becomes much more expensive. The best option is to plant according to your preference and dispose of the rest of the elements through the purchase.
Over the centuries, some foods have displaced others, whether for human or animal consumption. Potato consumption is relatively recent (200 years) and it displaced turnips and chestnuts in Galicia. The pumpkin has declined and the tomato and pepper maintain a robustness that is hard to beat. The ten basic ones in Galicia are potato, tomato, pepper, garlic, onion, lettuce, carrot, cabbage, cabbage and turnip. In very specific areas there may be broad beans / beans, corn in substitution of any basic on the list.

Exactly. Our supermarket shelves, while they mostly have food, it’s not to the same extent as before (B).

Most of the tomato crop is grown under cover in Spain so not really affected by the weather. The point is i’ve seen first hand that food shortages are not an issue elsewhere, but that actually there is an abundance of food elsewhere in Europe.

The media and government are making excuses, thinking we’re stupid enough to fall for it!
Most are thats the problem. The same gullible folk will still vote this lot back in, especially if they put Boris forward again.

Thanks. That’s how I freeze onions. They get strung up normally but if any start sprouting they get frozen.
We also do the same with peppers and runner beans.. Brussel sprouts and peas are also frozen down... One of my favourite meals is, sprouts from the freezer mashed with boiled potatoes, thinly sliced lambs heart and loads of gravy.... Not to every ones taste.

So while seasonal and local is good - I get that entire argument and largely subscribe to it, this thread has made me wonder how much the increased variety of fruit and veg over the last thirty odd years has impacted health and life expectancy. I first visited the UK in 1986 - I left after 6 weeks in dire need of fresh fruit and veg...

Ok, you plant a bit later than me - I was thinking of this weekend as it happens. So maybe I'll try later and as you say can go in the early potato space. I will be sowing the early greenhouse tomatoes this weekend - just in time for the cold snap! It is a bit of a battle to keep them warm enough to survive but not make them too leggy. We still have some passata from last year in the freezer but not much now. Harvesting our own tomatoes seems a long way off still!
We find the later you sow leeks the less rust gets to them. We now plant ours out late summer and they see us right through winter and into spring left in the ground..thats when we use them most too

That might be your reality there but over here we see a rotation of shortages and prices skyrocket. Not our govt. or media's fault since our largest grocery chain Loblaws has recorded record profits and forecasts that in 2023 their profits will grow faster than their sales.

Loblaw’s markup over base costs in 2010 was 32.5 per cent, by 2019 it was 44.3 per cent and in 2022 it was 46.7 per cent.

Loblaw forecasts profits will grow faster than sales in 2023 as revenue up

Price gouging anyone????
An article about the shortage of fruit and vegetables in UK supermarkets appeared in a national newspaper today.
According to the article, the big corporations had bet in autumn on the importation of articles against the rise in prices proposed by the local British farmers' associations.

Best thing we ever bought is a soup maker - leek and potato with a few bits of smoky bacon, mushroom soup, curried parsnip, chicken and vegetable - the list is endless. It has a saute function and makes smooth soup in 19 mins cook time. Makes 1600ml at a time and that gives us a couple of days. Magic. If you have your own winter veg it is a Godsend.

Best thing we ever bought is a soup maker - leek and potato with a few bits of smoky bacon, mushroom soup, curried parsnip, chicken and vegetable - the list is endless. It has a saute function and makes smooth soup in 19 mins cook time. Makes 1600ml at a time and that gives us a couple of days. Magic. If you have your own winter veg it is a Godsend.
I’ve toyed with getting one for ages. Till now I’ve been bulk cooking and freezing.

Latest posts

Back