Sugar Syrup Stores in Spring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,

My three colonies have successfully got through winter. The weather this week is looking good in our area so with all this isolation I may crack them open and carry out my first inspection.

As it is my first spring I have a question regarding stored sugar syrup. And like any question, no doubt it depends on many variables such as region, forage, weather etc.

But here goes - at what point should I be looking to remove frames full of sugar syrup?

All three colonies either didn't eat much, or kept finding forage over the last few months. I'm thinking the former, as the weather has been pretty bad aside from the last week or so.

I noticed they're bringing in plenty of pollen, but I'm not sure how to determine if they're bringing in nectar. As you'd expect I want to be ready to do any switches at the right time to ensure my supers (when I put them on) are as near to 100% honey as possible.

Thanks everyone

When you start seeing uncapped nectar in the cells.
E

If it runs out of the cells easily then definitely. But I would say yes anyway at this time of the year.
E

The weather is nice for now Jazz..but it is going to change as it always does..i will not even contemplate open any of mine for inspection till the end of April as i have done for the past several years..even when i do do my first inspection nothing can really be fixed till the end of June or even later..sit on your hands and leave them to it for now..upto you though with what you have planned..good luck and do well once we get out of this crisis..

Wrong part of the country Eric even though your advice is perfect..the North east is a month behind you..where weather and forage are concerned..;)

Then he won't have nectar in the cells will he?. Just answering a question, not advising when to do it weather wise!
E

Hefted mine yesterday. A big change in the last two weeks. Three were dangerously light and got some fondant. Remember consumption of stores takes off as brood rearing ramps up

Appreciate the advice. While it's 16 degrees today I'll be having a look in about 1pm. Going to switch the Abelo floors out for the tunnel entrance floors I have while I'm at it.

Kind of off-topic - If I am replacing the stores-filled frames and I notice (in my replacement frames) even one or two "webby" cells indicating wax moth - am I best just melting down those frames?

Appreciate the advice. While it's 16 degrees today I'll be having a look in about 1pm. Going to switch the Abelo floors out for the tunnel entrance floors I have while I'm at it.

Kind of off-topic - If I am replacing the stores-filled frames and I notice (in my replacement frames) even one or two "webby" cells indicating wax moth - am I best just melting down those frames?

I would freeze them, thaw and give to the bees

But note for the coming winter that you need to take action against wax moth. They can destroy all your drawn comb.
E

Same here been hefting over the last 3 -4 weeks, full inspection on an out apiary BS B & Half this morning in barmy warm bright sun. 14 good frames with brood and some good fresh nectar on various frames, over 90% of winter stores used now. I supplemented them with a brood frame of stores, colony is certainly off to a flier.

Replaced the std OMF with a homemade UFE and gave them an Abelo BB replacing the Swienty one which allowed the addition of an extra store frame.

Last edited:
Here's the pic. There are maybe 2 on one frame and 1 on another:

Is this wax moth?

y4mClOseaA8rCVRkwYLpFAP13nS-2dfnjPJng1_FFGTFehktT4JHhDhY-0Fib5GcIJfLdlNpmXn7Q7BhY3A4vXxgzA-d7fpjbpGEnmuo-4prkGtwYRQGAFwlyCoiWtwq8f8uGHwIpFcXWlElG4cMPOlil51fLDLsJosSaUTCvHFD3rcb8a85zdB14MJqp92DH47hEBYqsYyAFclUhuBj-RgUw

Looks like it, good the frame up to the light and you may see their tunnels through the wax. Or put a bent paper clip in the cell and you will find that bad frames have no wax between the cells. I wouldn't worry too much about a small patch like that though!
E

That's more likely a bit of spider's web, it's on the surface. Wax moth leaves tunnels of web through the cells, a bad case will stick two combs together with a mat of web between the faces. You will also see their poo in the web.

That's more likely a bit of spider's web, it's on the surface. Wax moth leaves tunnels of web through the cells, a bad case will stick two combs together with a mat of web between the faces. You will also see their poo in the web.

I reckon you are right :)

Latest posts

Back