crystallizing honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you ever get a a natural soft set Dani ?
I was chatting to judge at the NHS who said that his naturally set clover honey was so smooth, he entered it in both that class and soft-set. He was mightily pleased with himself for having pulled the wool over the judges' eyes.

Soft set is usually smooth and creamy to taste most use a seed but honey will become a natural soft set over a period of time if it has the right balance of sugars ,here’s a bucket of natural soft set which is soft when you put a spoon in and smooth .View attachment 38584
Looks a lot like my spring honey, set with a lot of dandilion. Selling as soft set would require it to be softer and smoother. If you have customers that like it like that then fair enough but I wouldn't call it 'soft set', just 'set' :) .

Looks a lot like my spring honey, set with a lot of dandilion. Selling as soft set would require it to be softer and smoother. If you have customers that like it like that then fair enough but I wouldn't call it 'soft set', just 'set' :) .
It is soft I can spoon it out very easily and it is as smooth as a baby’s bottom to taste no granulation at all .
I’ll mix it up then put a paddle in it then jar
image.jpg

Do you ever get a a natural soft set Dani ?the bucket in the photo was extracted on the 23rd of June 23 and there is no frosting but plenty of white beekeepers honey on the top though in some of the buckets.
I had a natural soft set for the first time this year. My sycamore honey at home softly crystallised with v fine smooth crystals . I tried extracting the pollen with a centrifuge but could only see sycamore. What nectar do you think could have caused the fine crystals? Rape isn’t in my part of Yorkshire @Curly green finger's
I’m thinking clover as there are a few fields of unimproved grassland nearby and I think it’s pollen is under represented in honey . The warm spring / June may have helped a flow for the first time as I’m at altitude. Any experts out there who could comment?

I have had some natural soft set this last year. I’m no expert and there is no OSR near me either but there are varying quantities of wild mustard and other brassica plants around plus some clover, similarly growing in both improved and unimproved grasslands.

The jar I kept from my first year in summer 2019 has hardly any crystallisation whereas the jar from summer 2022 has completely set already. Regarding the different textures of naturally set, what determines whether it sets into either smooth or coarse crystals?

Back