Such hard work

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lebouche

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm no slouch, I regularly work 12 hour days, sometimes more. I have to say however that this hobby is such hard work! I seem to spend my weekends working now. I'm even too tired to write on the what I did in the apiary thread after a busy day. Apart from the actual inspections and manipulations there's the scrubbing, tidying, putting frames together, painting hives. It seems to be never ending. I love it but wish sometimes the hives were close to my home. I would advise anyone who is thinking of taking this up to ignore the figures quoted for how much of your time this takes up. Also consider that your spare time will be spent worrying for your first few years.

Hi lebouche,
You have got it! The good news is that as you get more competent you spend less time on the bees. Depending on where in Berks you are, I will help your mum when you go on hols!

Hi lebouche,
You have got it! The good news is that as you get more competent you spend less time on the bees. QUOTE]

No, what happens is, you end up with more hives and spend even more time on them.
Personally, I am currently knackered. Work, bees and 2 acres of garden are pushing me to the end of my resources. Something has to go........
Cazza

Hi lebouche,
You have got it! The good news is that as you get more competent you spend less time on the bees. Depending on where in Berks you are, I will help your mum when you go on hols!

Thanks Beeno,
Maybe when I get more competent/experienced we could work something reciprocal out? Will PM you our exact details.

No, what happens is, you end up with more hives and spend even more time on them.
Personally, I am currently knackered. Work, bees and 2 acres of garden are pushing me to the end of my resources. Something has to go........
Cazza

Snap....but I don't work.
I'm even sitting here watching "pointless" with some relief........oh the shame!!!

I'm even sitting here watching "pointless" with some relief........oh the shame!!!

Sounds bloody good to me. Perhaps it's the work that has to go. Must work on HWMBO or develop a get rich quick plan.
Cazza

I'm no slouch, I regularly work 12 hour days, sometimes more. I have to say however that this hobby is such hard work! I seem to spend my weekends working now. I'm even too tired to write on the what I did in the apiary thread after a busy day. Apart from the actual inspections and manipulations there's the scrubbing, tidying, putting frames together, painting hives. It seems to be never ending. I love it but wish sometimes the hives were close to my home. I would advise anyone who is thinking of taking this up to ignore the figures quoted for how much of your time this takes up. Also consider that your spare time will be spent worrying for your first few years.

More efficiency required!

Frame making, hive painting and stuff like that is best done in the winter when you spend no time actually at the hives.

I have, through experience, managed to become more efficient at hive inspections and in general the dozen hives or so is about my limit for now, with a full time job aswell.

It is a satisfying knackered though!

Yeah, I could have been more efficient. I agree. And also inexperience has made me work perhaps harder than I might have to in the future. Correcting mistakes etc.

I have just made a decision today. I am getting too old for six hives, am going to reduce to three and stick at that :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:
To think I used to run 20 odd!
E

That so made me laugh EricA, I thought it was just me! :icon_204-2:

I'm just starting to feel back in control again after 6 pagdens in recent weeks! I've even been dreaming of bees and all of the bee related jobs on my list! How sad is that!! Reckon once swarm fever is over it will get a bit less frenzied :willy_nilly:

I would ditto Beenos offer lebouche, although I'm still a bit new at this game myself........PM me if you need any help.

Cazza
:iagree:
I vote work - just play the bad back card and sit back and leave the taxpayer pay my upkeep - like the majority of workshy oxygen thieving sponging malingerers up the road from me.

Work or starve my grandmother use to say

I refer you to my previous statement may have been in our grandparents day, but not any more :D

Unfortunately if I pulled a sick note with a bad back it would be works doctor and remove me from the cause and place me in a security hut pushing buttons to open a barrier with drastically reduced pay after six months !!! no win scenario

I would ditto Beenos offer lebouche, although I'm still a bit new at this game myself........PM me if you need any help.[/QUOTE]

Hi lebouche,
I bit far for me to just pop over, but I will respond to an emergency i.e. swarming or one inspection if you are away. Maybe Jimmys Mum, your Mum and I can play Ladies who lunch in your absence.

I had a job that required me to work 12 hours a day or longer, be on call 24/7 and spend time away from home. I always wanted to keep bees, but did not do so as I knew I would not have time to give to the hobby. Having taken early retirement, I now find myself with, bees, fish pond and a very young dog, all which together with shopping, vacuuming and occasional rugby matches, keeps me very busy - I can thoroughly recommend retirement, but certainly feel for all who are trying to fit in bee management around what seems to be ever more demanding employers.

As I grow older and wiser and fitter, I can look after more hives.

Work is summat I have not done for years.

Pointless I believe is a game for the mentally challenged .. watched by those who may be even more so...:sunning:

I must have the best job on earth then, night time pest controller for LUL, leave home around 10pm and rarely in later than 4am, sleep till 10am, then all day to play with either my bees,tractors,4x4's,woods,guns,or take a nap,lol

Latest posts

Back