How much can you read without opening up the hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But it’s natural.
So is some of my soft set honey but I wouldn’t get much of it if I was to not be proactive and reactive with my swarm prevention.
There are ways of benefiting from swarming anyway rather than just letting them go.

Good indication if it is queen-right
Disease
Hygiene level
Vigour level can indicate starvation
Drone layers

It's not just looking at entrance. Examine floor debris and ejecta. Flying patterns. Heft the hive. Bodies. Listen to the noises. And it's not about never opening the hive - it's about knowing when it's necessary.

I welcome swarms, so I don't routinely open the hive to kill queen cells etc. This complements non invasive inspections.
I find it slight baffling that you seem to justify your reluctance to kill off queen cells as a function of a non invasive regime yet through swarming, are potentially condemning many swarms to die off during their first over winter, if not collected or inhumed by a a pestie.

back to OP. I watch the hives when I first get to apiary, and very rarely perform a full inspection if i find BIAS on a couple of frames. the main concerned that there is sufficient honey space, unless I look at splits for nucs. Personally I think if one manages the queens, then a full inspection should only be essential a couple of time a year to preform a disease check, unless an observation of the hive indicates otherwise. I'm know I miss a few swarms (as does everyone), but I keep bates hive around my apiaries to try to keep them interested.

If nothing else, I find it quiet relaxing to take a few minutes out of the day and enjoy the bees going about their work.

I would like to be able to read a colony better before I open up a hive. It has that feel of long experience of observing bees. The little booklet by H. Storch is sometimes held up as the ultimate goal in this area. However, Ken Basterfield dismisses it as a work of imagination and wishful thinking.

I've seen people really stuck for words (on one occasion in a very public setting) when asked what exactly they can hope to glean from time spent at the hives before opening. Rusty Burlew has written what I think is a poetic, evocative and realistic account of what you can know and discover before you take the roof off.

'Most of the time you can tell everything you need know by standing near your hive and watching. You know a lot by how the colony behaves, the way it sounds, the way it smells, and the number and type of bees that come and go. You can tell even more by watching what they bring in, observing what they haul out, and assessing their temperament. If you walk by your hive on a summer’s evening and it purrs like an insulated engine room, smells like heaven, and the landing board is clean, why on earth would you open it up and disturb everything? It doesn’t make sense.

'On the other hand, if the number of bees is decreasing, you see dead bees or pupae unattended on the landing board, you detect an odd odor, or your bees are unseasonably temperamental, open the hive. If you see robbers, predators, or leaking honey, open the hive. If you see lethargic, aimless, or deformed bees, open it up.

'Compare what you see on the outside to what you find on the inside until you develop an intuition. It will happen sooner than you think. And in any case, use common sense. No animal wants its home torn apart for no good reason. So before you do it, have a clear idea of what your good reason is.'

See: Is too much hive inspection a bad thing?
I think I pick up a fair bit about the colony from looking at entrances. I've garnered that knowledge and ability by looking first at the entrances many, many times and then following it up with inspections and making connections. Imagine someone who knows nothing at all about bees or insects..... they'll pick up very little, if anything, just looking at an entrance. It depends on what knowledge and experience you have before you look.

I think I pick up a fair bit about the colony from looking at entrances. I've garnered that knowledge and ability by looking first at the entrances many, many times and then following it up with inspections and making connections. Imagine someone who knows nothing at all about bees or insects..... they'll pick up very little, if anything, just looking at an entrance. It depends on what knowledge and experience you have before you look.
Sounds very sensible. I guess it depends too on consciously making connections between what you see before you open up at the entrance, and what is revealed after. One of the reasons I allowed my colony numbers to increase significantly was simply to see more colonies at work, and spend more time in the day watching them. But I think I wouldn't learn anything without really looking, rather than passively seeing.

Latest posts

Back