Pollen trap recommendations ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bungle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I have zero experience with collecting pollen, but would like to give it a try.

I don’t like the idea of the fair weather ones that hang on the front, and ideally would like a non-plastic solution but cants seem to find anything other than the sun dance which seems to in US only? And not sure if it would be compatible with national hives anyway?

I’m was tempted by the 100% plastic Apimaye floor, until I saw a YouTube video explaining the downside of removing the tray which cuts up the bees.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
I came across this https://www.thorne.co.uk/packaging-hive-products/pollen-royal-jelly-propolis/floor-pollen-trap.html, but not sure why it’s got legs - and it has no instructions and doesn’t look user friendly?

I’ve got the thornes 1 it’s fine and works it may say all weather but really collect daily you don’t want to leave out over night as it can get clumpy. Draw backs…..plastic slide tends to bend and when opening and shutting as in 1 day on 1 day off can be a pain to locate hole at other end. Taking tray on and off can be fiddly.
I also added a wooden strip to the top as I thought if the excluder strip bent or was out of shape it would allow access over for the bees.
It’s on legs so you can access the bottom collection tray!!

On saying all that once up and running it was very efficient, and protects from unexpected rain.

I use the Abelo ones, they are very effective but an odd size. Not really sure what hives they are designed to fit.

zero experience with collecting pollen
Me too, but if I was to do so, I'd collect in spring when pollen is abundant and impact on brood feeding minimal.

Most retail pollen comes form Hungary, and my guess is that they collect from hundreds of colonies and accept the consequent loss of brood strength.

Latest posts

Back