Oxalic question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mintmoth

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was browsing the beeculture website and came across this snippet -

"You can also spray (mist) packages or swarms. Over the last few years, we’ve followed this protocol to ensure that we’re starting our research projects with mite-free bees. Once the packages arrived, we placed them in a cool, dark location in the lab for 24 hours for the bees to cluster. Several hours prior to applying the oxalic solution, we spray the bees with a 1:1 sugar solution to fill their honey stomachs and reduce ingestion of the upcoming oxalic treatment. Next, we mix the oxalic acid in a 1:1 sugar water solution and evenly apply the solution to the bees."

What I'm curious about is that if you spray the bees with sugar solution to fill them up so they won't ingest the oxalic, why is the oxalic put into sugar solution and not plain water? Is it purely to make it sticky so it sticks to the bees?

:icon_bs:Marketing blurb????

Probably got a Capri Ghia parked up outside too.

What I'm curious about is that if you spray the bees with sugar solution to fill them up so they won't ingest the oxalic, why is the oxalic put into sugar solution and not plain water? Is it purely to make it sticky so it sticks to the bees?

Varroa mite have a sweet tooth so why don't they eat up the first dose of sugar solution too?

This was in a 2016 article:

However, the sugar role in the oxalic acid treatment is not clear, it is proposed that the sugar addition increase the solution oral absorption by honeybees and improves its adhesion to their bodies.

Back