Neighbours show true colours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not surprising, then, with so many people declaring entrenched views - without even considering entering a discussion - that things like Wednesday happen. sad face (I couldn't find a ready made one)

Yes because Keeping bees in your own large and private garden while supporting nature that suffers real oppression in the face of the ignorant, intolerant and uneducated is very much the same as a terrorist attack on Westminster.

I have been the direct target of a terrorist attack, where the vehicle I was driving was blown up by a 1000lb bomb placed in a culvert under the road. As you can imagine, this has had a massive effect on my life.

I fail to see how a terrorist attack can be compared to standing up for yourself, and enjoying a perfectly legal past time in your own garden. It is beyond the comprehension abilities of my tiny brain.

Unless they are standing withing 2 - 3 feet of the hive, I fail to see how they can't enjoy their own garden. I could have a picnic 10 foot away from my hive and not even realise they were there unless I looked at them.

You know that and I know that. They don't. People who don't share our hobby are understandably nervous about having a hive in the vicinity. When the bees swarm (and don't say your's never have) it terrifies the uninitiated.
It is more reasonable to consider as antisocial a beekeeper who imposes his hobby on his neighbours, than a neighbour who objects.
I keep my bees in my garden. I discussed the idea fully with my immediate neighbours before setting up. They're happy, even though they have had several stings over the years while pegging out the washing, and have been driven from their back garden by over enthusiastic guard bees.
Accept it, it's an intrusive hobby.

You know that and I know that. They don't. People who don't share our hobby are understandably nervous about having a hive in the vicinity. When the bees swarm (and don't say your's never have) it terrifies the uninitiated.
It is more reasonable to consider as antisocial a beekeeper who imposes his hobby on his neighbours, than a neighbour who objects.
I keep my bees in my garden. I discussed the idea fully with my immediate neighbours before setting up. They're happy, even though they have had several stings over the years while pegging out the washing, and have been driven from their back garden by over enthusiastic guard bees.
Accept it, it's an intrusive hobby.

Well said

Yes because Keeping bees in your own large and private garden while supporting nature that suffers real oppression in the face of the ignorant, intolerant and uneducated is very much the same as a terrorist attack on Westminster.
:ohthedrama:

I fail to see how a terrorist attack can be compared to standing up for yourself. . . .

Have you ever been to Norfolk?

It's very Quiet! :biggrinjester:

This is getting silly.

For many, actually most, bees are frightening.

For these people the benefits just do not exist. What does exist is the threat.

They never will accept that it is all good and all beneficial.

So...... accept that keeping bees in your garden may not be a viable option.

Accept that like being a radio ham and wanting an Eiffel tower mast for better reception is not acceptable to the neighbours neither is your hive with the 60k of stings. And when you look at it from their perspective just maybe they actually have a POINT.

It is not a perfect world. As beekeepers we need to be responsible too. And that includes pandering to imaginary fears.

PH

This is getting silly.
Accept that like being a radio ham
PH

Having been a full Amateur radio licence holder for 30 years, why not just add photography to the list to take out all my hobbies - seeing as all photographers are paedos or terrorist on a recce ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for the replies and discussion some interesting points. I have spoken with the neighbour since there are no hard feelings and we still get on as do most of the neighbours here. I have asked if she is allergic and the answer is no. She states her daughter (mid 20's) got stung with a wasp last summer and had a red lump for about a week and it's her that's scared. I've explained that a wasp & a bee are different animals and explained with my limited knowledge how honey bees work.
My garden is completely enclosed with a solid 6' fence so the bees would have to be at least that high to leave the garden in the first place.
Looking forward to summer and hopefully sharing a bit of honey
Wingy

Buy an extra XL suit and gloves and ask anyone that would like to to pop it on when you do inspections to come and watch. this may help.

Last edited:
Beekeeping is supposed to be relaxing. I wouldn't be able to relax with them in my garden. Much prefer them being isolated away from people for if the bees are having an off day.

My bees are in our back garden which is a fair size. I'm keeping it to two hives and a nuc, anything more and I have a friend with a meadow.

Our neighbour's 9 year old daughter spent most of last summer climbing the tree in their garden and then sitting on our shed roof watching the bees - about 10 foot away from the hives. She is utterly entranced.

It can go well. But I accept that if the bees got aggressive it's my responsibility to move them. So there's no 'one size fits all answer'.

I have a spare suit on order because several of our neighbours have expressed an interest in seeing the bees closer. Most of them ask after the bees and all of them love the honey.

Or maybe it's just that I fix cars for free that keeps me in their good books?

My bees sit on my front porch. Better door guards do not exist. No salesmen, no politicians, and very few others will brave a hive of bees sitting beside the door. My postal delivery driver knows to blow the horn when she has a package.

My bees sit on my front porch. Better door guards do not exist. No salesmen, no politicians, and very few others will brave a hive of bees sitting beside the door. My postal delivery driver knows to blow the horn when she has a package.

Now that's what I call true lateral thinking :)

As I said at first I had no intention of putting them in the garden, they are going on the allotment. It was the neighbour who jumped to the wrong conclusion and I just let it run. However the rear garden could be suitable for possibly 2 hives and now thinking could I get away with one in the front 😏 Or would that just be pushing it......
Wingy

the rear garden could be suitable for possibly 2 hives and now thinking could I get away with one in the front �� Or would that just be pushing it......
Wingy

Some people have old WBC's (empty) in their garden as an advertisement that they sell honey. That might be a better approach (i.e. you could reassure your neighbour that it was never your intention to keep them in your garden).

As I said at first I had no intention of putting them in the garden, they are going on the allotment. It was the neighbour who jumped to the wrong conclusion and I just let it run. However the rear garden could be suitable for possibly 2 hives and now thinking could I get away with one in the front �� Or would that just be pushing it......
Wingy

I don't think you are listening to some of the more rational voices on here - whilst I would not try to dissuade you from siting colonies either in your garden or on your allotment you should be aware that keeping bees in proximity to people who:

a) May be generally frightened of stinging insects.

b) May (sometimes unknowingly) be seriously allergic to bee stings - think death ?

c) May have visitors, children, pets that could be stung.

d) WILL blame your bees for anything that happens.

e) May see an opportunity to make your beekeeping a miserable battle.

Is stepping into beekeeping (more so as a new beekeeper) with a millstone that could hang round your neck ... As a number of people have said ... find an alternative (and remote from your location) apiary site that you can move your bees to if everything comes on top. Unless you have an allotment which only you use and not part of a greater allotment site then it's no better (and possibly more fraught with potential disaster) than your garden.

I'm not sure whether you have actually handled any full colonies of bees yet ... if you haven't then it's something you should do well before you get any bees of your own. A full size colony of 30,000 stinging insects who are trying to kill you is something that puts a lot of people off. My bees are gentle, easy to handle and no real bother - but last year I was involved in what can only be described as the colony from hell - and there are LOTS of people on here who will tell you stories of bees that are not well behaved. It's not fun and whilst things can be corrected you never really know when a colony could/will turn into something less manageable.

The fact that you even consider putting bees in your front garden demonstrates a naievity that is worrying in itself. Beekeeping requires a high degree of responsibility - bees are not fluffy bunnies for your kids to play with. Even the most gentle of bees can and do sting.

Last edited:
This thread should be skickied by Admin......first question most new beekeepers ask is... do your bees sting... and second... can we keep them in our small back garden?

( after do you make lots of honey!!!)

Myttin da

Ok "bees in front garden" that was a joke hence the cheeky grin emoji. Not looking at putting them in the rear garden either, well not at this stage, when I'm a bit more confident it's a possibility but not for now. My allotment site is 500 square metres, it's the end plot at the top of a sloping site. The end has a 10' solid brick wall that will be to the rear of the hives and the direction I intend to face the hives is down hill where they will have to clear a 7' fence covered with wind screening fabric mesh so will be well above head hight before reaching the next plot.
I am looking at 2 back up sites as suggested and yes I'm serious about doing things properly, do have consideration for others (even if their cats fill my garden with poo) however I do have a sense of humour which does occasionally ruffle a few feathers
Wingy

Latest posts

Back